My first time in Coach-what can I expect?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
Taking the 3:40 Lake Shore Limited from NYC to Chicago. First time in coach after taking trips in a roomette.
What can I expect in Coach? What should I bring to stay warm and sleep through the night? Is it noisy? What about the bathrooms? Can I spend most of the trip in the observation car?

What should I bring to stay warm and sleep through the night? Is it noisy? What about the bathrooms? Can I spend most of the trip in the observation car?
Bring layers and a thin but warm blanket. Noise depends on who is around you. Personally I would love a quiet car on all trains but that’s not how it works. Bathrooms start out good but get worse over time. Bring spray/wipes. You can spend a lot of time in the lounge car but if it’s busy it’s kind to give up your seat after a while for others to use.

Is there any "lounge / observation car" on the Lake Shore Limited?
Lake Shore is single level. It has an Amfleet II Lounge Car which runs Boston to Chicago.So the complete train consisting of the New York and the Boston section have the Lounge between Albany and Chicago. The New York section has a Viewliner II Diner serving Flex Meal (March 2024)..

All single level trains apparently now sport an Amfleet II Lounge.

Some of them do lack a Vewliner II Diner though (Crescent, Cardinal). Apparently Crescent will get a Diner by the end of this year.

Last edited:
Lake Shore is single level. It has an Amfleet II Lounge Car which runs Boston to Chicago.

All single level trains apparently now sport an Amfleet II Lounge. So the complete train consisting of the New York and the Boston section have the Lounge between Albany and Chicago. The New York section has a Viewliner II Diner serving Flex Meal (March 2024)..
Are passengers welcome to use the lounge or does this depend on the whims of the attendant working that day?

In answer to the initial question, I sometimes just use my jacket as a blanket. Some type of a pillow might be nice if you have room to carry one. I would expect little sleep but I hope your trip goes well and that you post a report of your trip.

Are passengers welcome to use the lounge or does this depend on the whims of the attendant working that day?
Most likely the latter if past experience is any indicator. Though in the recent past I have had better experience on the Silvers. Haven't been on Lake Shore in many years now, having moved away from New York to Florida.

In answer to the initial question, I sometimes just use my jacket as a blanket. Some type of a pillow might be nice if you have room to carry one. I would expect little sleep but I hope your trip goes well and that you post a report of your trip.
Will do!

Travels With Kev has "Amtrak Coach Class: A Guide for New Passengers"

I guess you're on your way by now, but this may help with future trips or help others who come here looking for information
I got some months yet.

March 14 WSJ has an article on coach travel. (Paywall?)

An excerpt:
So why did I opt for a $123 coach seat on the Amtrak Silver Service, despite its reputation for breakdowns and mind-numbingly slow speeds?
Because I stubbornly believed that a railroad adventure isn’t just a viable alternative to the Great American Road Trip, but remains the very best way to explore this very large country.

March 14 WSJ has an article on coach travel. (Paywall?)

An excerpt:
So why did I opt for a $123 coach seat on the Amtrak Silver Service, despite its reputation for breakdowns and mind-numbingly slow speeds?
Because I stubbornly believed that a railroad adventure isn’t just a viable alternative to the Great American Road Trip, but remains the very best way to explore this very large country.
Very very true!

I just took a 30 hr coach Los Angeles to Seattle - bad choice since I left Mon April 1 Spring Break-every seat was taken-so sleeping was darn near impossible. Yes the observation car helped a lot. A blanket & a camping pillow is what I took. The pillow was helpful not enough. Yes it’s noisy since it was crowded and people boarding at all times. I am a solo female over the age of 75 and that was my first experience traveling in coach for long distance- I saved $700. But I paid the price in comfort and sleep. Takeaways for me - b4 I book be sure I check what holidays or school breaks might be happening. Figure out what I am willing to spend on travel vs hotel expenses.

I just took a 30 hr coach Los Angeles to Seattle - bad choice since I left Mon April 1 Spring Break-every seat was taken-so sleeping was darn near impossible.
Do you think you would have enjoyed the trip if Amtrak was willing to sell you two adjoining coach seats instead of forcing you to sit with a stranger?

I don't think Amtrak has the technology to do this on long-distance trains. To book a seat, the system requires that a name be entered to reserve that seat. For example, John Smith could not make two reservations for John Smith. The system would not allow a person to have two reservations on the same train. If Mr. Smith decided to work around this by booking a ticket for his wife, Susan Smith, who is not going, Susan Smith would have her ticket canceled as a no-show when the conductor came through to scan tickets. Then, the seat would be made available for resale.

I say...make the system friendly and accommodating to allow for booking two seats adjacent. If Greyhoud and Flix Bus Line can do it, why not Amtrak?

This Youtube channel has some very clear info on Amtrak coach seat travel, albeit about 3 years old, pricewise!

Hi thank-you for the information you have given in your video it has been really helpful as we have booked amtrak to travel from memphis to New Orleans in August ....

I almost always enjoyed two coach seats to myself on my earlier Amtrak trips, but recently the trains are much more full. I guess most folk hope for two seats, but do we really want to be unable to travel at all because trains are "full", but with only half the seats occupied?

My feeling about bus services offering two seats to one passenger, is that the bus services are struggling to fill their seats these days, where as Amtrak could actually fill more seats if they had them on most trains?

Hi thank-you for the information you have given in your video it has been really helpful as we have booked amtrak to travel from memphis to New Orleans in August ....
Not my own video, but it does seem to give a lot of information. Best wishes for your upcoming visit to America!

MODERATOR NOTE: Please refrain from posting any comments that suggest breaking Amtrak Rules regarding the purchase of 2 seats for one passenger. Such posting violates AU Rules and Guidelines. Several posts have been removed that either make such a suggestion or respond to a post that makes such a suggestion.

Thank you for your cooperation, understanding and participation.

Back