My First Train Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I really appreciate it. I travel a lot usually by plane and this holiday is the first time in many years that I have been this excited about a holiday. This train adventure has made us feel like kids again. The only plane is from San Francisco to Los Angeles and we would have done the Train but it added just too much time to the trip and we can do that leg anytime.

My list is in order as follows:

1. Relax and have a great time.

2. 1 bottle of vodka. (I’ll buy mixers onboard)

3. 1 bottle of Champagne. (Chilled, for our first rail adventure)

4. Glasses. (2 champagne, 2 cocktail for the room. I understand why they may not serve drinks in glasses in the lounge car)

5. Extension cord. (My laptop is 3 prong)

6. Six battery operated tea candles. (I like mood lighting)

7. Roll of tape.

8. Don’t expect The Blue Train…..lol

9. I already don’t care if the train is late. (In fact that would get bonus points, especially on the return leg)

10. Have fun meeting some new people.

11. Arrange my own Wi-Fi access.

12. Download a few movies.

13. IPod and portable speaker station.

14. 2 carry-on cases for clothes and above accessories onboard and check one suitcase.

15. My partner…… :) (He’s really # 1)

16. Be extra nice to a surly crewmember. (Always works)

17. Relax and enjoy the scenery.

Questions:

1. Is there ice and a bucket readily available? (not just for the cocktails…my partner has medication that needs refrigeration)

2. Can you have the bed made up to look out the window?

3. Can 2 adults sleep comfortably on the lower bed? (We naturally sleep close together and I thought the room would feel more spacious if we only used the lower berth at night).

4. Can you lock the door?

5. What time does the bar shut?

Thanks, Anthony

Th

Questions:
1. Is there ice and a bucket readily available? (not just for the cocktails…my partner has medication that needs refrigeration)

3. Can 2 adults sleep comfortably on the lower bed? (We naturally sleep close together and I thought the room would feel more spacious if we only used the lower berth at night).

1. In the sleepers, yes there is one available. Ask the attendant.

2. Ask the attendant to make it for you.

3. Yes, people have done it and said that while it's not spacious, it works.

4. From the inside, yes. Not from the outside.

5. I assume you mean the cafe... around 11:00 or midnight IIRC. However, I think you can be there (in the physical car) all night.

When i am in a bedroom, I always request that the bed be made up so that I can look out the window. I have never had my request denied. I have never shared the bottom bunk, but know people of small to medium size that have done so comfortably.

You're rolling the dice on everything from your attendant's attitude to the food quality to the timekeeping, but that's actually part of the fun if you ask me.
Based on a recent 9 segment trip, it looks like the dice are starting to be loaded in your favor.

Bring your own snacks especially if you are a fussy eater or have special dietery needs. Check the snack car menus and dining menus online to make sure you like the options.
I would saying "Is it meal again already?" before I was half way through your itinerary.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you've already got the right attitude for the trip and that will go a loong way. :) If your room gets too crowded you can always drop the top bunk down and throw a few things up there and get them out of the way and close it back up. Have a great trip ! :hi:

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I really appreciate it. I travel a lot usually by plane and this holiday is the first time in many years that I have been this excited about a holiday. This train adventure has made us feel like kids again. The only plane is from San Francisco to Los Angeles and we would have done the Train but it added just too much time to the trip and we can do that leg anytime.

2. 1 bottle of vodka. (I'll buy mixers onboard)

4. Glasses. (2 champagne, 2 cocktail for the room. I understand why they may not serve drinks in glasses in the lounge car)

7. Roll of tape.

8. Don't expect The Blue Train…..lol

9. I already don't care if the train is late. (In fact that would get bonus points, especially on the return leg)

14. 2 carry-on cases for clothes and above accessories onboard and check one suitcase.

15. My partner…… :) (He's really # 1)

Questions:

Thanks, Anthony

Th
You said that you were running on a tight budget! Publically saying you'll do/bring soo much stuff mnight make some people think otherwise......

2. 1 bottle of vodka. (I'll buy mixers onboard)

7. Roll of tape.

8. Don't expect The Blue Train…..lol

9. I already don't care if the train is late. (In fact that would get bonus points, especially on the return leg)

15. My partner…… :) (He's really # 1)

Questions:

Thanks, Anthony

Th
You said that you were running on a tight budget! Publically saying you'll do/bring soo much stuff mnight make some people think otherwise......
Sorry, I may have mislead you. I'm not on a tight budget but a tightish time frame. I'm wanting to bring along some creature comforts for the room. Believe me the lounge car and tipping the crew will always do well. We normally cruise and like to have a champagne on the balcony at sailaway, cocktail getting ready for dinner, listen to some music then go and have a pre-dinner drink at the Martini Bar, a glass of wine with dinner then and then some more social at the bar. We don't get drunk and I would never bring my own drinks out from my room, I would find that rather tacky. I just thought the train would be like a "land cruise" in a smaller room and since out of a 2 week holiday 6 nights are spent on the train we would enjoy the extra effort. No one but my partner and I will see it all. They're cheap glasses from Ikea so it won't matter if they get broken.

What do you do with your valuables when you leave the room to go to the lounge or dinner, is it secure?

Still excited,

Anthony

I have never been in a sleeper but the general rule in coach is never leave anything out in the open. I have seen people just get up and leave cell phones, laptops, dvd players, etc jsut at their seat.

I wouldn't bring a speaker station, just bring your earphones, and use them instead of the speakers, the walls are thin, and it may bother the neighbors.

The room does not lock when you leave, so just put it in a backpack, and take it with you or hide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back