My private coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GP35

Lead Service Attendant
I'm thinking of buying or refurbishing my own private rail coach. :angry: No comment from you green.

How much will Amtrak charge to pull my coach around.

That is not too bad. Once you get pass all the regs.

The Terminal Switching Charge section doesn't quite make things clear. There's mention of a special switching charge for BOS-BON moves (and a few others) of $250, but that doesn't really explain what happens in the more common cases.

And the extra engine charge is vague in where it applies and not cheap.

That also doesn't have a list of where you can have private cars added / subtracted.

It strikes me that one could organize a nice many hour long party in a dome car, possibly the Super Dome, maybe augmented by Cedar Rapids (and maybe something else if the group is large enough, though I'm not sure if you could convince the partygoers who didn't fit in the dome and the rear observation space that any other cars you'd find were worth being in, though maybe that's what food in a lounge car is for). But out of Boston, the Super Dome makes no sense on a NEC train because of how catenary and domes don't mix, and unless you could convince Amtrak to switch the car from the westbound to the eastbound train somewhere around Springfield, the Lake Shore Limited probably isn't a viable option (and the catenary might require boarding and disembaring at Back Bay, which probably isn't a real problem), and that leaves the Downeaster. These private cars may not be equipped for push-pull operation; then again, in looking at Google Maps, I get the impression that there is a loop of track near Portland, ME that could be used to turn the train around (assuming the track shown by the map actually still exists, anyway), so I'm not really sure why the Downeaster is push-pull.

Check the internet. There is a private rail car association, and there are trips where you can ride private cars. Those are really cool. Look for a positioning move.

I rode the Caritas from CUS to NYP on the back of 48 back in the early 90's. I paid like 350.. Unbelievably awesome. There were 5 people on the car. Me, another railfan, and the cook, an attendant, and a mechanic/liason with the RR. I am not sure of these titles. I was advised not to expect much in food service when I booked, so I was prepared to brown bag, and called back to ask how the eating aspect worked. Well . . . there would be something or other and I would be able to eat. Ok, cool, I flat out did not care what I ate becaue the car would be on the back of the train, and it would have an open platform. I planned to spend the trip on this platfrom.

We left CUS with all of us on the platform. There is NOTHING better than riding on that platform, including you know what IMHO. We had dinner near SB. Well now the crew has to eat . . so we ate in style. When I boarded in Chicago, I saw the cook making the dinner roles from scratch. He was beating the batter IN THE STATION. We had those roles, steak, key lime pie, and wine. I dont drink, but I did have a glass then. The crew talked trains, and I just listened.

I returned to the platform as we left Toledo, and lasted until Sandusky. This trip was in early September, and it had been hot all day. As we entered the causeway to cross Sandusky bay, the temperature dropped, and a fog surrounded the train. Shortly after Sandusky, I went to bed.

I woke up about 5 and considered returning to the platform, but decided not to. I did not want to wake anybody on the car. At 5:45, i ventured out. A few minutes later the other railfan joined me. He was concerned that his activities in the next room had woken me. I told him I was already up at 5. We rolled through Buffalo as the Sun came up. It was cold out there, and we both said no to Coffee. We had been told the night before that taking containers on the platform was a violation of rules. We did not want to break the rules, Nor did we want to leave the platfrom. A few minutes later the attendant brought us coffee.

Breakfast consisted of blueberry pancakes that were light and fluffy yet still crisp. The bacon is the best I have ever eaten. I had 2nds and 3rds. It did not seem to botherr anybody.

We spent the rest of the trip on the platform, with a brief break for lunch. This was by far one of my greatest railfan adventures. I hope you get to do something like this someday.

I know the rules have changed, but occasionally I do see cars on the back of Amtrak . . . so good luck.

Check the internet. There is a private rail car association, and there are trips where you can ride private cars. Those are really cool. Look for a positioning move.
I rode the Caritas from CUS to NYP on the back of 48 back in the early 90's. I paid like 350.. Unbelievably awesome. There were 5 people on the car. Me, another railfan, and the cook, an attendant, and a mechanic/liason with the RR. I am not sure of these titles. I was advised not to expect much in food service when I booked, so I was prepared to brown bag, and called back to ask how the eating aspect worked. Well . . . there would be something or other and I would be able to eat. Ok, cool, I flat out did not care what I ate becaue the car would be on the back of the train, and it would have an open platform. I planned to spend the trip on this platfrom.

We left CUS with all of us on the platform. There is NOTHING better than riding on that platform, including you know what IMHO. We had dinner near SB. Well now the crew has to eat . . so we ate in style. When I boarded in Chicago, I saw the cook making the dinner roles from scratch. He was beating the batter IN THE STATION. We had those roles, steak, key lime pie, and wine. I dont drink, but I did have a glass then. The crew talked trains, and I just listened.

I returned to the platform as we left Toledo, and lasted until Sandusky. This trip was in early September, and it had been hot all day. As we entered the causeway to cross Sandusky bay, the temperature dropped, and a fog surrounded the train. Shortly after Sandusky, I went to bed.

I woke up about 5 and considered returning to the platform, but decided not to. I did not want to wake anybody on the car. At 5:45, i ventured out. A few minutes later the other railfan joined me. He was concerned that his activities in the next room had woken me. I told him I was already up at 5. We rolled through Buffalo as the Sun came up. It was cold out there, and we both said no to Coffee. We had been told the night before that taking containers on the platform was a violation of rules. We did not want to break the rules, Nor did we want to leave the platfrom. A few minutes later the attendant brought us coffee.

Breakfast consisted of blueberry pancakes that were light and fluffy yet still crisp. The bacon is the best I have ever eaten. I had 2nds and 3rds. It did not seem to botherr anybody.

We spent the rest of the trip on the platform, with a brief break for lunch. This was by far one of my greatest railfan adventures. I hope you get to do something like this someday.

I know the rules have changed, but occasionally I do see cars on the back of Amtrak . . . so good luck.
This says a lot for the people responsible for planning the trip. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the ride.

I have seen a private car cut off in New Orleans off of #2 at 3 a.m. because there was no manager around and the conductor felt he didn't have all the paper work necessary to carry the car eastbound. Amtrak wound up paying for 12 people to stay in French Quarter hotels until the next #2 came to town, plus meals, so there are two sides to every trip.

I'm thinking of buying or refurbishing my own private rail coach. :angry: No comment from you green.How much will Amtrak charge to pull my coach around.
GP 35

If you're up to that, I'd like to get a ticket on your coach. I suspect it'll take some time to raise the funds, but I certainly want to be on board. I'll even fill in as a Service Attendant. ;)

I'm thinking of buying or refurbishing my own private rail coach. :angry: No comment from you green.How much will Amtrak charge to pull my coach around.
GP 35

If you're up to that, I'd like to get a ticket on your coach. I suspect it'll take some time to raise the funds, but I certainly want to be on board. I'll even fill in as a Service Attendant. ;)
Well I may have said coach, but with the economy and high gas prices, I was thinking more along the linesof aquiring an old park caboose. I could have it restored, upgraded with a restroom, kitchen, sofa, HEP, and viewing room in the Cupola.

You are welcoming aboard. No Service attendant needed, everyone grab your own beer from the frig. Just bring your railroad DVD's, camera, and plenty of rail stories.

Do you think Amtrak would pull a caboose? I have never seen it. Not sure if in that document is says it has to be a particular type of car, though.

Do you think Amtrak would pull a caboose? I have never seen it. Not sure if in that document is says it has to be a particular type of car, though.
If it meets all regs, I dont see a reason Amtrak would say no. Can you image this catching on. An Amtrak train with 15 cabooses.

I figure to restore a caboose to FRA and Amtrak standard would cost in the same range of a large RV or a new Piper Archer III.

Amtrak's rates are per car, with no adjustment for the length or weight. That suggests that to maximize the value you recieve for those mileage charges, you probably benefit from having a relatively large car. The typical caboose was designed to carry just a handful of people, in an application where the railroad might have benefited slightly from a smaller car, and certainly wasn't going to get more revenue by using a larger car.

There are probably some maintenance costs that go down on a smaller car, but many of the costs probably don't (I bet the smallest caboose has a pair of trucks with two axles per truck, just like most of the largest cars; you need the same number of HEP connectors on the ends of the car regardless of the size of the car, though maybe you can save a few percent of the cost of conversion to HEP by using a lower wattage 480V to 208V transformer, pretty much the same brake system per car regardless of size though maybe on the smaller cars you can use a few parts that are smaller, or maybe not even that).

Maybe this type of caboose. I could bring the lawn chair and BBQ pit...lol

CR_18065_IN_Porter.jpg

GP 35

Well I may have said coach, but with the economy and high gas prices, I was thinking more along the linesof aquiring an old park caboose. I could have it restored, upgraded with a restroom, kitchen, sofa, HEP, and viewing room in the Cupola.

You are welcoming aboard. No Service attendant needed, everyone grab your own beer from the frig. Just bring your railroad DVD's, camera, and plenty of rail stories.
A caboose would be just so much more kewl. I doubt that Amtrak would care much what the car looked like, as long as it wasn't politically incorrect. I'll even volunteer to go get the beers from the fridge. I'll even volunteer to bring the beer. :lol:

What tracks are you looking at?

If you come thru STL, I'll join you with my cooker and make BBQ - you prefer ribs or brisket?

Good luck with that, GP. You're in for a bit of an eyeopener in the politics, and the sheer resistance Amtrak has to pulling private cars, but you should still have fun if you manage it.

The two organizations that deal with private cars are the American Association of Private Railcar Owners (AAPRCO) and Rail Passenger Car Alliance (RPCA). I'm a member of both and they have all the information you'll ever need or want to know about rebuilding and operating PV's in Amtrak service.

The two organizations that deal with private cars are the American Association of Private Railcar Owners (AAPRCO) and Rail Passenger Car Alliance (RPCA). I'm a member of both and they have all the information you'll ever need or want to know about rebuilding and operating PV's in Amtrak service.
Thanks, I will contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back