My recent Las Vegas trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Dee

Lead Service Attendant
This is not a trip report, per se, so I am posting to the main Amtrak Rail Discussion.

Here is my itinerary:

3/23/03 Amtrak Pacific Surfliner # 780 SBA-LAX(LAUS)

3/23/03 Amtrak Thruway Bus # 8536 LAX-LVS (Greyhound # 6054)

3/25/03 Amtrak Thruway Bus # 8535 LVS-LAX (Greyhound # 6063)

3/25/03 Amtrak Pacific Surfliner # 785 LAX-SBA

There are major construction projects on the I-15 corridor between LA and the state line. The project on the Nevada side has already been completed. The projects are between Victorville and Barstow, and between Baker and Halloran Summit.

These two projects make driving between LA and Vegas an unpleasant experience. A few weeks ago there was a terrible accident involving 2 tour buses in the Halloran Springs area.

We need to write our congress to urge them to to allow Amtrak to begin train service between LA and Vegas. If anyone knows which politicians to contact, give us the info.

We need train service, not buses, between these two cities. Let's get the ball rolling!

I hear you loud and clear! :D I am considering a trip to Las Vegas during my spring break this year, but am not really looking forward to a half-train, half-bus (Martinez-Bakersfield-Las Vegas) trip. If there was train service from L.A. to Las Vegas, I would take the San Jopaquin train to Bakersfield, motorcoach to L.A., and the train from L.A. out to Las Vegas, even if it would be a little longer. I just don't know if I could handle a six hour bus trip from Bakersfield...

Tell me who to write to and I will write away!

Well, maybe this would be a good place for us to start. I contacted Nevada DOT requesting info about the project status and received the below e-mail. I haven't had time to follow up since I am so busy (this is my senior year in high school) but have been meaning to. Please update me if you find out anything. Thanks.

Date: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:00:13 AM US/Pacific

To: "'@mac.com'" <@mac.com>

Subject: Amtrak to Las Vegas

Hi JC Collins,

For the status of the Las Vegas-Los Angeles train proposal, contact Amtrak

Public Affairs office in Oakland at 510 238 4360. Ask for Liz O'Donogue.

jccollins said:
I hear you loud and clear! :D I am considering a trip to Las Vegas during my spring break this year, but am not really looking forward to a half-train, half-bus (Martinez-Bakersfield-Las Vegas) trip. If there was train service from L.A. to Las Vegas, I would take the San Jopaquin train to Bakersfield, motorcoach to L.A., and the train from L.A. out to Las Vegas, even if it would be a little longer. I just don't know if I could handle a six hour bus trip from Bakersfield...
Tell me who to write to and I will write away!
JC,

Take the trip!

The Amtrak Thruway buses from Bakersfield to Las Vegas are dedicated buses operated by Coach USA (Antelope Division). You need not be worried about mingling with typical "Greyhound passengers."

They usually operate brand-new Van Hools on this route, not as good as a train, but better than riding "the dog!"

Once again, take the trip!

:) I agree 100%! My wife & I took the Desert Wind from L.A. - Las Vegas several years ago and really enjoyed the trip. The train stopped at the Union Plaza hotel, and that's where we stayed. We had a great time. We have driven I-15 since, and it's not a good trip. Everybody is traveling 75 MPH or faster and no one is courteous. I know the bus accident you're talking about. It was in the L.A. Times the next day. My wife will not fly, and we've been waiting for the train to L.V. for a while now. I hope it comes back soon.

Keep on training!

I. too, would like to see a return of Las Vegas-Los Angeles rail service. I had to good fortune to ride the Desert Wind from Denver (part of the California Zephyr) to L.A. and enjoyed the trip. That was the first time I had been to Vegas. I went inside the station/hotel long enough to see the slot machines. No, I didn't partake of any of the pleasures. I only had a few minutes. The ride through the desert (200 feet below sea-level) and over Cajon Pass (in daylight, the Southwest Chief passes through in the middle of the night) and through the Santa Ana Canyon were all memorable. I also reveled in the fact that it was the historical route of UP's City of Los Angeles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back