My summer train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKA

Train Attendant
Hey Gang,

My train trip this year will include (as much as I hate it) some air travel because

of time. I will fly from Atlanta to Toronto where I will board the Canadian on Aug.

27 to Winnipeg. From there I will travel to Churchill on VIA Rail. I know nothing about this train. I will only be in Churchill for 12 hours (arrive at 8:00 AM-Depart at 8:00 PM) and then reverse the trip back. I will be back in Atlanta on September 3.

Has any of you made this trip? Is the scenery good? I have bought the tickets

so I hope I haven't made a mistake. What is a good hotel in Toronto that won't cost

an arm and leg and is close to Union Station? I will be spending a night in Toronto both ways.

Thanks in advance.

RB

RKA said:
What is a good hotel in Toronto that won't costan arm and leg and is close to Union Station? I will be spending a night in Toronto both ways.

Thanks in advance.
Close to TUS and cheap, is probably not doable, unless you get very lucky. Directly across the street, and if you can get a decent price, certainly worthy is the Fairmont Royal York, built by the RR. However, odds aren't in your favor for getting a decent price.

You may wish to check out this list compilied by Kevin Korell and myself for the OTOL railfest in Toronto. All of the hotels on this list are close to rail transit, that will get you to TUS. The prices obviously may be a little dated, but it will give you a starting point, along with links to the hotel websites.

Note that from the airport to/from your hotel, the only options are either a cab or a bus to a subway.

RKA said:
What is a good hotel in Toronto that won't costan arm and leg and is close to Union Station? I will be spending a night in Toronto both ways.

Thanks in advance.

RB
Try the Strathcona Hotel. One Block from Union Station and they offer a "VIA Rail Rate" if you show your ticket.

http://www.thestrathconahotel.com/

NS VIA FAN said:
RKA said:
What is a good hotel in Toronto that won't costan arm and leg and is close to Union Station?  I will be spending a night in Toronto both ways.

Thanks in advance.

RB
Try the Strathcona Hotel. One Block from Union Station and they offer a "VIA Rail Rate" if you show your ticket.

http://www.thestrathconahotel.com/

Well, I stayed at the Strathcona on my way out last year, and liked it. Very, very small but right in the shadows of the Fairmont Royal York, and the train station.

Yep, the Royal York is great if you can get a discount, which I did, coming back east.

What I did not know, though is that I could have gotten a discount at the Strathcona for showing a VIA rail ticket.

If you fInd the Fairmont Royal York entirely too expensive,(I lucked out on a really good deal, I think on Expedia), I do suggest you at least find time to walk through the lobby. Quite sumptuous.

There is an underground passage from the RY crossing right across the street to the train station. In good weather, that is not very doable, dragging your luggage up and down steps without elevators, that I saw. But in a frozen over winter, it would be a great blessing.

Oh yes, you might try eating at least one breakfast in the main lobby level of the hotel, even if it is too expensive to stay in the hotel as such. I recommend the buffet breakast highly.

And last, but far from least, enjoy The Canadian.

I did the train ride to Chruchill in 1984 in the summer. It is not the most scenic route, ie miles and miles of forest, and then flat landscape with no trees. However, this is a fascinating trip for seening new things. I saw wild dogs squabble over scraps of food thrown from the diner at Thicket Portage (IIRC), I saw daylight until 11 pm and starting at 4 or 5 a.m. In September, it may be a little different with the day light.

Also, after the train leaves The Pas, there is only one grade crossing until Thompson. The swampy land was also kind of different too. So though the scenery is not dramatic, the trip is very interesting. I hope you have a sleeper though so that you can shower going up and back.

I have a double sleeper for the entire trip (I am to old not to). VIA Rail told me that you pay for meals no matter what ticket you have.

Does this train have a dome. VIA Rail did not know.

RB

RKA said:
I have a double sleeper for the entire trip (I am to old not to). VIA Rail told me that you pay for meals no matter what ticket you have.Does this train have a dome. VIA Rail did not know.

RB
Your meals should be included on the Canadian from Toronto to Winnipeg. From Winnipeg to Churchill and back is when you pay for your meals. The Canadian's dining car menu is on VIA's website. The Churchill train's menu may be too. There probably will not be a dome. VIA will use their 1950's budd equipment though, and that should be pretty nice. On second thought, they might have a skyline dome car which is a combination of lounge car, dining car, and dome car.

This is not so quite off-topic, i didnt want to start a new topic, but over the summer i'm planning on going to Glacier Park, MT on the Cap and the Builder.

We are going in July, what is the weather like there?

Has anyone done this before, if so, what is the West Glacier station like?

Jon Parker

capltd29 said:
This is not so quite off-topic, i didnt want to start a new topic, but over the summer i'm planning on going to Glacier Park, MT on the Cap and the Builder.
We are going in July, what is the weather like there?

Has anyone done this before, if so, what is the West Glacier station like?

Jon Parker
Aloha

I July 2001 I went through there, it was fantastic! This is a Picture near there.

Back