my train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just as easily believe someone whose experience with Amtrak has been as negative as DA's hypothetical case as I do Paul's. The only person who can judge whether a trip is good or bad is the person taking the trip and what may be a good trip to someone may have been a lousy one to someone else.

I would agree 100% that it has a lot to do with the person taking the trip whether it was a good trip or bad one. I took a round trip with about 12 assorted aunts/cousins & their adult children. We went from Mpls to Portland & back. On the return there were quite a few problems (due to frozen brake lines etc.) causing a delay on the return of 8 hours. They were all in coach complaining with everyone else about the delay. I was snug as a bug in my roomette reading and seeing the sights that we would normally go through in the dark.

I have taken numerous train trips and have enjoyed everyone.

Our vacation starts the moment we get on the train. We get on prepared and ready to relax. Many people are so anxious about getting there it really seems they don't understand the train is part of travelling fun. I also see many people expect too much from the attendants to make their trip complete. They complain about things Amtrak has no control over. ( weather, accidents etc.) Get on the train prepared and ready to relax and you will have a great time! You make it what it is!

I would agree 100% that it has a lot to do with the person taking the trip whether it was a good trip or bad one. I took a round trip with about 12 assorted aunts/cousins & their adult children. We went from Mpls to Portland & back. On the return there were quite a few problems (due to frozen brake lines etc.) causing a delay on the return of 8 hours. They were all in coach complaining with everyone else about the delay. I was snug as a bug in my roomette reading and seeing the sights that we would normally go through in the dark.

I have taken numerous train trips and have enjoyed everyone.

Our vacation starts the moment we get on the train. We get on prepared and ready to relax. Many people are so anxious about getting there it really seems they don't understand the train is part of travelling fun. I also see many people expect too much from the attendants to make their trip complete. They complain about things Amtrak has no control over. ( weather, accidents etc.) Get on the train prepared and ready to relax and you will have a great time! You make it what it is!
There are things that Amtrak can control to some degree, but it would require anticipation of demand. I took the Coast Starlight from Seattle last July. I went for a burger in the cafe at about 6PM, and the cafe attendant said they were already completely out of breakfast items. They weren't restocking until arriving at Oakland in the morning. I had breakfast in the dining car.

Last edited by a moderator:
They complain about things Amtrak has no control over. ( weather, accidents etc.) Get on the train prepared and ready to relax and you will have a great time! You make it what it is!
To some extent, yes. On the other hand, Amtrak doesn't do itself any favors. A recent Coast Starlight rolled southbound into Sacramento. Twenty minutes later, Amtrak employees told everyone bound for the Sunset Limited to get off the train, board a bus for Stockton, then a train for Bakersfield, then a bus for Los Angeles. The conductor on the San Joaquin had no idea he would have extra passengers. The station manager at Los Angeles had no idea she would have Coast Starlight passengers arriving on the bus. Disseminating that knowledge would have been completely within Amtrak's control, and it should have happened.

It was worse, but you get the gist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back