My Victory Lap of America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danasgoodstuff

OBS Chief
I've just returned from a month plus trip by rail: Portland to Chicago in a roomette on the Empire Builder; Chi to So bend in coach; So Bend to NYC in a roomette on the Lake Shore; NYC to DC on the NE Regional in coach; DC to Orlando in a full bedroom with my wife (she flew into NYC); ORL to DC in a roomette by myself; missed connection so DC to Chicago in coach the next day and Empire Builder back to Portland. Great scenery, good service, small snafu on missed connection due to consolidated Silver service but Amtrak put me up in a nice hotel (Phonix Park) and got me home. Food very good indeed in the west and not so bad in the east (they must've been making an extra effort, convection oven?). Good visits and sightseeing at the various stops. Would do it again in a heartbeat but probably not try so many connections back to back.

So-named since it was my belated retirement present to myself. I retired July 1, 2020.

Thanks for the report. Hubby and I also did a victory lap after we both retired. We took the EB east to CHI, Lincoln Service to Springfield for a 3-day meeting, back to CHI and on to BAL (2 nights there), SAV (2 nights there), Greyhound to NOL (2 nights there), and then the SL and CS back to Oregon. It was a fantastic trip, close to three weeks in all, and a great way to celebrate retirement, so I'm pretty much on board with your agenda!

Back