Mystery train headed south from DC toward Alexandria 5/30/08

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafi

Conductor
Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington,
Subject and topic description pretty much say it all. I spotted this consist today at 3:45, stopped on the Potomac River bridge, pointed south. What caught my eye were the THREE P42s on the head end (the most I've ever seen on an Amfleet-only train) and the substantial number of Amfleets for a run south of DC. The train was also packed, it seemed, and a single Cafe car was sandwiched right in the middle of the train. Obviously, it was a special train, but does anyone have an idea of what it was?

-Rafi

Subject and topic description pretty much say it all. I spotted this consist today at 3:45, stopped on the Potomac River bridge, pointed south. What caught my eye were the THREE P42s on the head end (the most I've ever seen on an Amfleet-only train) and the substantial number of Amfleets for a run south of DC. The train was also packed, it seemed, and a single Cafe car was sandwiched right in the middle of the train. Obviously, it was a special train, but does anyone have an idea of what it was?
-Rafi
8 Amfleets and a Cafe car in the middle leads me to believe that it was a southbound Regional train. Perhaps the extra power was going to be dropped off in Richmond or Newport News.

8 Amfleets and a Cafe car in the middle leads me to believe that it was a southbound Regional train. Perhaps the extra power was going to be dropped off in Richmond or Newport News.
You know, Bob, I think you're right. I should have done some better checking before posting; I initially ruled out a regional because train 95 would have been the closest, and that was supposed to be out of DC by 2:30 PM, and my spotting of the train on the bridge was at 3:45. On closer inspection (God bless you, AmtrakDelays.com), 95 left DC today almost an hour late at 3:23 PM, and didn't leave ALX until 3:59. So that must have been it. Three ponies on the front with an all-Amfleet consist was pretty cool to see, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back