Name a legendary Amtrak worker (Good or Bad)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
You know who I'm talking about--the SCA, the Dining Car attendant, the Conductor, etc, whose reputation precedes them on this board so that when you end up with them on a trip, you recognize the first name and think "Yes! Now I can finally find out what people were talking about--going to be a great trip!" (or, in less desirable cases: "Oh no, not her again...I wonder how many injuries I would suffer if I leapt from this train and tumbled down that steep embankment the way they do in movies?).
rolleyes.gif

I'll start: Jim from the Texas Eagle. I've heard about him before, but finally ended up with him as my SCA on the way to San Antonio. This guy is professional, friendly, and competent. His announcements are detailed and as thorough as they come--by the time he is done, you will know everything there is to know about Amtrak, sleeper cars, amenities, and possibly even plant life in Albania. Really good at his job.

Who are some other Amtrak folks who, like Cher, are so notorious for their job performance that a first name is all that's needed to instantly identify them?

Who are some other Amtrak folks who, like Cher, are so notorious for their job performance that a first name is all that's needed to instantly identify them?
Notoriously great: Gul and Stephanie from the Empire Builder (though Stephanie is on the California Zephyr this summer).

Last edited by a moderator:
Freida, lsa on the southwest chief. She was great. Did her job even though she had laryngitis. Darryl the sca in 27. Very professional. Insisted on making the beds and called his bosses when I told him about info from Amtrak status maps info. Ms Oliver the lounge car attendant on27 the same trip. Very pleasant voice on pa.

Now for worst. Polly on the Texas eagle. Every time I book that train I cringe. I wrote a complaint letter to Amtrak about her rudeness.

Debbie, the Pacific Parlour Car Attendent on the CS. She is a real little firecracker. She really gets to know her guests and makes everyone feel welcome, relaxed, and friendly to each other. Also, she makes a killer Bloody Mary!

Maybe not the best, but Nathan on the CZ was very professional to us. He came around just enough, but not too frequently. He treated us with respect, and was helpful by continually refilling the orange gummy candies after they mysteriously disappeared
ph34r.gif
laugh.gif

For SCAs Ill add Tony of the TE, Leo and Vic on the Silver Meteor, Brain and Ken on the SSL and Bob Heath on the LSL from BOS-CHI!!I totally agree with Jim of the TE and Debbie, she of the PPC on the CS!!!! :wub:

For Amtrak personnel in general, I think Stephen at the Solana Beach station is quite good. He is professional and always helps me out when I do my unaccompanied minor crap. He always smiles and asks me for new developments in school, in LA, etc. because I can tell he genuinely cares. Most importantly, he gets things done quickly. I am sorry to this person for forgetting her name, but the black female that sometimes crews Van Nuys and then handles the baggage is exceptional. Very kind and warm.

Of all the PacSurf crew members, the ones I nominate for best:

South of LA

Ryan

Kirk

Alex Pavloupolus

North of LA

Kirk (different one)

BAD:

South of LA

Katrina - other crew members call her the hurricane, and I have seen 50% of other crew respect her and her job, and another 50% dislike her. She has treated me without courtesy and actually fairly rudely, as well as other minors on the same train. I have had her again since then a few times, but she did not remember me

I'm going to nominate 3 who work Acela First Class, Lorenzo, Mr. Johnson, and Wilson. Although I understand that Wilson has since shifted to working the cafe on Regionals, but if you luck out and find him in FC you're in for a good ride.

I'm also going to nominate EB_OBS, OBS, & Guest_LSA, all of whom take their own personal time to come here and post and provide everyone with their insight into Amtrak. Additionally, I'm going to nominate one other person whom I can't name. Sorry! But he was a very senior Amtrak manager now retired. He's the person whom I often refer to when people start bashing all Amtrak management as being useless. This man has spent close to 10 years now I'd guess on this board providing his insight, helping people with questions, and in a few cases even triggering investigations into serious problems that got reported here. And in one semi-famous case, he proved the doubting Thomas's wrong, as they felt a guest was out and out lying with her tale of woe. He found out that she was telling the truth and sent me a few of the details, which I then relayed to everyone. Which is why I urge caution in reaction to guest postings, because sometimes even the unbelievable ends up being the reality.

I think all 4 deserve kudos for being so giving of their own personal time, especially since in many cases they spent all day working for Amtrak and then come here to talk Amtrak. :)

Hi,

While I think it is fine to nominate "good" service, I feel unsure of the fairness in naming "bad". By all means contact Amtrak about bad service, but in an open forum it seems wrong to pillory employees without their knowledge, without their chance to give their side of the story.

I have been 100% hopping mad at many crappy employee's attitudes to me, but still feel naming in public forum is a bit like us mud slinging, but then hiding our true identities from those we accuse...

Seems to me that it's just not cricket, old chap !!

Ed :cool:

I'm also going to nominate EB_OBS, OBS, & Guest_LSA, all of whom take their own personal time to come here and post and provide everyone with their insight into Amtrak. Additionally, I'm going to nominate one other person whom I can't name. Sorry! But he was a very senior Amtrak manager now retired.
I think all 4 deserve kudos for being so giving of their own personal time, especially since in many cases they spent all day working for Amtrak and then come here to talk Amtrak. :)
SECONDED!!!

On the Lake Shore Limited, Tom in the 12 car and Sharon in the 11 car are outstanding.

I have had them several times and they have always been great. Also, Kevin (large Kevin)

in the LSL dining car very good.

My old friend, Andrea Vibbert, retired in 2007 after 38 years working for railroads. She was Amtrak's announcer at NY Penn Station (and Newark Penn), and I heard her voice for, well, my entire life. I met her about a dozen years ago and she lent me a great collection of RR slides showing the destruction of the PRR station in Rahway in 1974. She was able to salvage some items from the station and donate them to the Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum - including GG1 4319, which she purchased in 1980 for $5,000! She recently wrote a book about her efforts to save that GG-1.

I'll start: Jim from the Texas Eagle. I've heard about him before, but finally ended up with him as my SCA on the way to San Antonio. This guy is professional, friendly, and competent. His announcements are detailed and as thorough as they come--by the time he is done, you will know everything there is to know about Amtrak, sleeper cars, amenities, and possibly even plant life in Albania. Really good at his job.
+1 When I boarded at dark o'clock in San Antonio I thought he was a little overly controlling but warmed to him greatly by disembarking. I especailly appreciated his service when on the southbound had a much less service oriented SCA. He had mentioned he was bidding on the Builder's PDX sleeper for summer.

For Amtrak Presidents, I think Graham Claytor and Paul Reistrup were both pretty good, and George Warrington really caused some big problems for Amtrak.

edit: not Paul Reisberg

One of the stand-outs (for being excellent!) was Jane Parkinson (blonde with British accent)... in the Pacific Parlour Car on the Coast Starlight. She had great trivia questions, knowledge of the wine and cheese (and not just reading it from the card like most do), always offered extra treats to passengers, good and prompt meal service, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, she lost her spot on #11/#14 and was bumped to the Sightseer Lounge on the Southwest Chief recently.

I think PPC jobs should be based on quality not senority... as Amtrak's best should be on the First Class lounge.

1) SCA Linda on the CS.

2) The off-duty Conductor at SEA about six weeks ago using his personal cell phone to help get more taxis to a backlogged taxi stand... and telling pax to go ahead & get in the cabs, that he would wait.

In March 2012 I took my first Amtrak trip from NYP to HOL on the Silver Star. I was lucky enough to have Larry as my SCA. It was a sad trip for me. I was heading down to Florida to see my Dad who was dying from brain cancer. I took a roomette on the way down to Florida. I explained why I was going and that it was my first experience with Amtrak. From beginning to end, Larry was there with a kind word or just to ask if I needed anything. It was wonderful to have someone so caring on such a long trip where I was alone, with just my thoughts about the weeks to come!

My father passed a few days after I got to Florida but I got there in time to tell him just how lucky I am to be his daughter. He was only 57.

I've found my new way of getting from NY to Florida to see my family! I think a lot had to do with how wonderful Larry was.

My trip home I was in a bedroom. I have no complaints about the trip. My SCA was nice enough...although I can't remember his name. I liked the roomette better. I was able to fully stretch out on the seats and put my feet up. I was too short to sit comfortably that way in the bedroom.

I'm looking forward to my trip back down to Florida in September! Silver Star down and Silver Meteor back up. I hope I get to see Larry again and tell him just how much I appreciated his kindness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back