National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly off topic (please forgive), but I got sticker shock when I checked the cost of booking my Roomette on the Empire Builder in July as compared with what I paid a few months ago. The price increased by more than $400!
Only $400? The current difference between high and low bucket Roomette upcharges (as well as the total fares) for the entire EB route is $506.

An AmSnag search just now for CHI to SEA (first 30 days in July) shows the following availability: 7 dates with Roomettes; 1 date with Family Room; 3 dates with Bedroom available. Supply & demand at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised that they have special menus, i.e. not mentioned on the Menu. On the Capitol Limited last year a friend of mine asked for the special and it was really delicious. We had Pork Shank with a nice sauce and mashed potatoes.

Back to the food ingredient and food allergy question. My son, who is now 30, was born with anaphylactic food allergies to all milk, egg, tree nut, peanut. Even a tiny amount of whey or sodium caseinate, which are common and at that time not listed as ingredients, would require immediate epinephrine.

He almost died after eating Golden Grahams, which did not list the butter based flavoring because the FDA did not regulate flavoring. We were part of the class action suit that got the congress to require listing at least major allergens. Nonetheless, we had to check the food labels every single time we bought any food item because they change. And bread, even on the same label, may shift ingredients by factories.

I would never count an ingredient list to be accurate, unless I read the one on the packaging of the actual food item, if you are dealing with anaphylactic allergies. In particular on a train where getting to an ER after the initial 2 self administered epi-pens might be impossible.

I am not defending shoddy customer service, but food ingredient lists are not static, and are out of the control of purchasers.

Canadian Club and standard Crown Royal are Canadian Whiskeys but they are not Ryes and have not been for decades. Crown Royal makes a Rye, and it's decent. JP Weiser's is a Canadian company, they make several varieties, one of which is Rye. I can't find it in most NJ stores (Roger Wilco has it) but is readily available in better PA state stores- it is legal to import PA liquor into NJ, but not the other way around. No idea about Ohio.
I have been drinking Seagram's VO for decades, as I prefer it to Canadian Club. They are both Canadian whiskeys, very similar in taste, but I can tell the difference. Several on here have called CC a Rye whiskey. I agree with you -- It is not, according to labels. And it certainly does not taste like anything labelled "Straight Rye Whiskey."

The current-day Seagrams (successors to the brand) makes BOTH a Crown Royal "Blended Canadian Whisky" and a "Straight Rye Whisky" and their labels clearly state which is which.

There are a few bourbons which are often referred to as Rye whiskey. What a particular batch is called and what it is labelled should not be confused. Bourbon has a sweet, smoky ambience while Rye is a spicy, grainy, hard-edged version of bourbon.

If you live in Canada, it is a bit more confusing but since we're talking about Amtrak in the USA, let's agree that Bourbon, blended Whiskey (including those labelled Canadian which typically spell it 'Whisky"), and Rye are three distinct products. Wouldn't it be better to simply go with whatever the label says it is?

BTW, I rode the Canadian Toronto > Vancouver last month. They did not serve Seagrams VO, but did serve Canadian Club and the bartender and her superior commented they were basically the same so Via chose CC. Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian Club and standard Crown Royal are Canadian Whiskeys but they are not Ryes and have not been for decades. Crown Royal makes a Rye, and it's decent. JP Weiser's is a Canadian company, they make several varieties, one of which is Rye. I can't find it in most NJ stores (Roger Wilco has it) but is readily available in better PA state stores- it is legal to import PA liquor into NJ, but not the other way around. No idea about Ohio.
I have been drinking Seagram's VO for decades, as I prefer it to Canadian Club. They are both Canadian whiskeys, very similar in taste, but I can tell the difference. Several on here have called CC a Rye whiskey. I agree with you -- It is not, according to labels. And it certainly does not taste like anything labelled "Straight Rye Whiskey."

The current-day Seagrams (successors to the brand) makes BOTH a Crown Royal "Blended Canadian Whisky" and a "Straight Rye Whisky" and their labels clearly state which is which.

There are a few bourbons which are often referred to as Rye whiskey. What a particular batch is called and what it is labelled should not be confused. Bourbon has a sweet, smoky ambience while Rye is a spicy, grainy, hard-edged version of bourbon.

If you live in Canada, it is a bit more confusing but since we're talking about Amtrak in the USA, let's agree that Bourbon, blended Whiskey (including those labelled Canadian which typically spell it 'Whisky"), and Rye are three distinct products. Wouldn't it be better to simply go with whatever the label says it is?

BTW, I rode the Canadian Toronto > Vancouver last month. They did not serve Seagrams VO, but did serve Canadian Club and the bartender and her superior commented they were basically the same so Via chose CC. Hmmmm.
Thank you for your post and information. I continue to learn!

Reminds me of one time a bunch of us went out to dinner...

My friend - "what kind of sodas do you have?"

Server - "we have coke, sprite, rootbeer, ginger ale..."

My friend - "ginger ale, do you know were they grew the ginger?"

Server - "you want the ginger ale?"

My friend - "I am not sure without knowing more about it."
Hmmmm. Nothing like the cook in a diner who got my Cheeseburger Platter order and yelled out to the counter, "Do you want CHEESE on that cheeseburger?" So glad this would never happen on a train, right?

Back