National Train Day - Toledo - May 3 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andersone

Conductor
The Toledo National Train Day celebration was a lot larger than I expected. Exhibits and vendors filled both waiting rooms, took up some space on platform and had food vendors in the parking lot.

I got a kick out of Ray Bottles a 50 year brakeman on the New York Central (more here http://nyc.railfan.net/RayBottles.html ) 20th Century Limited.

The presentation by Richard Harnish, Executive Director of The Midwest High Speed Rail Association was effective and focused on the efforts to improve rail service between CHI and NYC to four trains a day. This was followed by a presentation by All Aboard Ohio (Northest Chapter? – my notes let me down) discussing the upgrades to the four principle stations. I find it ironic there is no Southeast chapter of this organization, I guess they expect us to go to West Virginia like we have to do to catch the Cardinal. I think there story needs a little work but that’s only my opinion.

The Amtrak Superliner Consist on display was Diner 38066 Coach 34080 (611) and Sleeper 32012 (631 North Dakota). Most of the folks around me on the tour had never been inside an Amtrak car before, and commented on how nice they were. The couple behind me, after seeing the sleeper, thought this would be the perfect way to travel.

Almost every adult picked up a menu and looked at it. Maybe Amtrak should have passed them out to the interested. Although this consist came off the CZ (confirmed not only by the numbers but my conversation with Amtrak personnel) they had an EB menu taped to the wall. They had real silverware and table cloths but plastic bowls.

They had some nice inflatables for the kids to let go some of their excess energy, and a cute little ride that the kids seemed to enjoy.

I was depressed that no one asked about my DT&I hat. It truly is a fallen flag.

About eight hours of driving, and five hundred miles on the Tahoe. Toledo is not exactly a hop skip and a jump from Jackson, but I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

DSC05051.JPG

[SIZE=11pt]Ray Bottles a 50 year brakeman on the New York Central [/SIZE]

NTDToledo5-4-1409_zps6e2a7b1f.jpg

I went to Toledo today for my first National Train Day. I usually work weekends but have this one off.

I had a good time and enjoyed the various handouts and displays.

Thank you National Train Day Toledo for allowing Romick Railway to be your train rides this year.

The presentation by Richard Harnish, Executive Director of The Midwest High Speed Rail Association was effective and focused on the efforts to improve rail service between CHI and NYC to four trains a day. This was followed by a presentation by All Aboard Ohio (Northest Chapter? – my notes let me down) discussing the upgrades to the four principle stations. I find it ironic there is no Southeast chapter of this organization, I guess they expect us to go to West Virginia like we have to do to catch the Cardinal. I think there story needs a little work but that’s only my opinion.
If I know volunteer organizations, the reason there's no Southeast chapter is that there are very few Southeast members and no organizers. I'll bet if you offered to organize a Southeast chapter of All Aboard Ohio they'd make you the head of the chapter immediately. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back