NEC delays Friday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acelafan

Conductor
Anyone know what happened (or is happening) to the NEC south of Wilmington, DE? Many afternoon trains into DC were delayed up to 3 hours today. I'm on #66 to BOS now and we've been crawling since Havre de Grace. Already 2 hours behind and it doesn't look good. They made one announcement about signal issues earlier today and I guess they are still not working... (?) Let's pump some $$ into the NEC!

Anyone know what happened (or is happening) to the NEC south of Wilmington, DE? Many afternoon trains into DC were delayed up to 3 hours today. I'm on #66 to BOS now and we've been crawling since Havre de Grace. Already 2 hours behind and it doesn't look good. They made one announcement about signal issues earlier today and I guess they are still not working... (?) Let's pump some $$ into the NEC!

i just left #66 @ NY Penn

@ BWI the station clerk said that a tree plopped onto one track, cutting power and taking out signaling.

They're doing tire replacement and 1 track is out of service from Landover to Bowie, so when there's a delay like for a tree coming down, the effects are even worse getting into and out of DC.

They're doing tire replacement and 1 track is out of service from Landover to Bowie, so when there's a delay like for a tree coming down, the effects are even worse getting into and out of DC.
Yep, that will do it every time!

I noticed that they attached two diesels to the front of #66 this morning in New Haven - of course the AEM7 was shut down and became a tow-along. Guess they needed to re-position locos for BOS - are moves like that (adding a diesel onto an electric train) common? I assume that move would also lengthen the trip time to some degree, too? (I noticed we got to 108MPH instead of 120+ due to the diesel on front

In the end we arrived into Boston an hour late - I thought it was going to be much later than that.

Another rambling thought: I wish 66/67 would re-establish sleeper service, too. Maybe when there is more equipment available.

Yep, that will do it every time!

I noticed that they attached two diesels to the front of #66 this morning in New Haven - of course the AEM7 was shut down and became a tow-along. Guess they needed to re-position locos for BOS - are moves like that (adding a diesel onto an electric train) common? I assume that move would also lengthen the trip time to some degree, too? (I noticed we got to 108MPH instead of 120+ due to the diesel on front

In the end we arrived into Boston an hour late - I thought it was going to be much later than that.

Another rambling thought: I wish 66/67 would re-establish sleeper service, too. Maybe when there is more equipment available.
I left BOS Friday morning for RVR on 83. I was at South Station early enough to see 66 arrive. It also had two diesels at the head end. We must have just missed the track work as we were pretty much on time the whole way. On Monday the 5th, I went from RVR to BOS on 66. We also picked up a diesel at New Haven.

Gary

IIRC they are doing some work overnight on the Shoreline that requires them to shut down the catenary. If the catenary is down you have no choice but to run with a diesel. Also, isn't 66/67 still running with a baggage car? If they are they'd be limited to 110 MPH regardless, so the diesel being there shouldn't make a huge difference except for maybe the acceleration.

Interesting, the cat work would explain the diesel. I didn't realize the baggage car would limit speed, too. Now it all makes sense. You learn a lot on here! Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back