NEC....Finally got to see it!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGoDwnTwn

Train Attendant
Greetings Everyone!!

May not be much of a big deal to most of you. But after years of hearing and seeing videos of the NEC, I was finally able to get to New York during holidays. I must say, I was overwhelmed. The first train that I saw at Trenton Station was an Acela headed west ( south ) for Washington. I had my digital cam with me but was too excited to even take the pictures. She must have been going atleast 75 to 90 mph. A beautiful site indeed. Next up was the Silver Star ( from Miami I believe ) stopping to drop off a few people on her way to NY. SHe was headed by a HHP. Then watched a few regular NEC expresses pass as well as NJ Transit trains. I also got a few good views from the highway headed into the city.

One question, the videos I do have are from a few years back ( maybe 10 ..LOL). There is a new transit station just after the NEC emerges from the tunnel from under the Hudson headed west. Does anyone know the name of that station??

IGO

IGoDwnTwn said:
One question, the videos I do have are from a few years back ( maybe 10 ..LOL). There is a new transit station just after the NEC emerges from the tunnel from under the Hudson headed west. Does anyone know the name of that station??
IGO
IGO,

That's the new NJT Secaucus Junction station. It allows for transfers from Bergen, Pascack Valley, and Main Line trains to the NEC.

Glad you got to see the NEC and in the area of Trenton, that Acela was most likely doing 90 MPH and maybe even more.

Just curious.....what part of the country are you from? Seems we live all over the place on this forum.

I, too, am enamored of the N.E. when I occasionally get to see it.

I'm from Chicago. I was visiting friends in Pittsburg . SInce it was only a 6 hour drive further to the NY area, we decided to take the trip. We stayed in a hotel in New Jersey though. I believe it was just north of Trenton.

IGO

PS.I was so impressed that when I got back home, I pulled out my videos of the NEC and fired up the computer to play with my simulator called "TRAINZ". I already have a virtual model of Metro North from Manhatten all the way up to Poughkippsie ( spelling). With correct mileage and and track. I even added more signals and turnarounds to let the "AI" run the trains ( Metro and AMtrack..and a freight or two) by itself. Am I crazy or what???

Well, do keep in mind that you have a lot of activity in Chicago. It is known as the railroad capitol of the nation. Before Amtrak there were SIX major downtown passenger train stations in Chicago.But it was good for you to to see the N..E., too, I know.

I myself would like to re-discover California. It has beocme quite intriging in recent years, with the commuter trains, etc. I have been to California a number of times through the years, but purely as a long distance passenger. Would like to ride the Pacific Surfliners, etc also.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I myself would  like to re-discover California. It has  beocme quite intriging in recent years, with the  commuter trains, etc. I have been to California a number of times through the  years, but purely as a  long distance passenger. Would like to ride the Pacific Surfliners, etc also.
I agree with you, Bill. You can ride trains in Bay area & San Jose on Caltrains & BART, Sacramento area on ACE, Los Angeles metropolitan area on Metrolink & colorful lines :lol: , San Diego on trolley (it even go to Mexico border by Tijuana) and Coaster.

California was planning to have high speed train from San Diego to Bay area. Unfortunately, California is in broke and the plan is on hold.

You can ride Metrolink and Coaster without touching Amtrak from LA to San Diego.

Sorry to say but ACE serves Stockton to the Bay Area never coming fully up to SAC, Stockton being about 50 miles south of here. They have mentioned a possible commuter run from SAC to Dixon why I have no clue seems it woul dbe better if they were going to do somehting like that to extend ACE to SAC but that would duplicate the San Joaquin route at least to Stockton and would be some competiton for the Capital Corridor with both terminating in San Jose.

Is ACE financed by the State or local governments? If it's financed by the state they should look at incorporating ACE routes and equipment into the San Jaoquin equipment routes, and ticket structures.

ACE is run via a Joint Powers Authority which I believe consists of San Joaquin, Alameda and Santa Clara counties who have reps on the board who set policies and such. I'm not totally sure about that though. The Capitol Corridor is governed by the CCJPA who's members are Alameda, Santa Clara, Contra Costa, Solano, Yolo and Sacramento counties but is administered by the BART. It can be complicated sometimes. However, I beleive all the JPA's are state funded but administered by the counties.

tp49 said:
ACE is run via a Joint Powers Authority which I believe consists of San Joaquin, Alameda and Santa Clara counties who have reps on the board who set policies and such. I'm not totally sure about that though. The Capitol Corridor is governed by the CCJPA who's members are Alameda, Santa Clara, Contra Costa, Solano, Yolo and Sacramento counties but is administered by the BART. It can be complicated sometimes. However, I beleive all the JPA's are state funded but administered by the counties.
TP,

You are basically correct with the ACE structure. They are governed as you stated. Money comes from fares, the State of CA, and the counties sitting on the board.

Oh by the way, about seeing more of short-haul California .....last time I went out about 4 or 5 years ago I had intended to do some short haul travel, but the Sunset got me there eight hours late!!! That kind of ruins the day, you can see.

I have been on the San Diegan(when it was called that) and did even ride the red trolley to Tijuana, referred to above.In fact I have a photo of it in Viewliner's website, under "other commuter railroads". But this L.A. commuter stuff was not even happening in that trip which was 1985.

Bill,

Metrolink realy saw their ridership increase after the Northridge Earthquake of 1994. With many of the freeways out of commission due to collapse and other issues many people turned to Metrolink as a way to get into downtown LA and many of them stayed never going back to their cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back