NEC Meltdown 12/31/23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will they ever be honest about exactly what caused the issue?
They may not publish the details in newspapers, but we will get to know what happened sooner or later through the grapevine. We seem to always do so eventually.

I was on the leading edge of this storm two days ago (Saturday night). I parked at Denville and took New Jersey Transit into the city to, among other things, ride the NYC Subway nostalgia train (which was cancelled, dang it). Anyway, I boarded the 10:11 p.m. train at Penn Station to head back the other way.
It was SRO front to back and stiflingly hot as we sat there. The conductor said there was a delay due to "Amtrak signal issues." After more than an hour, the train was cancelled. The conductor directed us to service in Hoboken.
So it was off to the 33rd Street Station where, we were told, PATH would cross-honor our tickets. Except there was no way to get through the gates and nobody there to help. I finally followed some people through the handicap gate at the far end, then joined the throng waiting on the platform at close to midnight. Our jam-packed train stopped at 4th Street station for about half an hour due to "police activity ahead." Then the train operator announced that our train would skip Hoboken and we should get off and take the next train. I only heard the announcement at the last moment.
Upon coming up the steps at Hoboken, I joined a crowd of about 35 people watching the TV monitor. There was no train to Dover on the board. I left the crowd and drifted around to the tracks, where several NJ Transit employees were yelling "Dover train, track 8!" I boarded literally seconds before the train pulled out.
It's amazing how well New York's suburban train system works on a daily basis. Millions of riders, infrastructure nearly a hundred years old, thousands of pieces of equipment. But when things go wrong, it gets ugly fast. If I didn't know the system, I could easily have gotten lost anywhere along the way to Hoboken and salvation.

But when things go wrong, it gets ugly fast.
Pretty sure this applies to any operation, not just railway. The able to adapt and overcome is key. Sounds like an adventure that work out well for you. A charge cellular phone and a credit card will make or break you when things go wrong.

I can assure you that what was said publicly was true.
Yes the publicity statement is correct.
The reason why there major communications/server issue is what the community is interested in. This is the third meltdown Amtrak has had. The first two were in combination with freight railroads, this time it was limited to the NEC.

They may not publish the details in newspapers, but we will get to know what happened sooner or later through the grapevine. We seem to always do so eventually.

The last national system collapsed impacted me while waiting for my connection in Chicago to the Texas Eagle. So that my interest.

Apparently they had equipment issues with the R1/9 train set - sticking brakes? - which they could not resolve in time to run the remaining trips.
I was standing at 34th street around 3 o'clock when the announcement came that it was cancelled -- a surprisingly clear and understandable announcement, by NYC standards. I guess they had the train standing at 2nd avenue for anyone who wanted to walk through it, but they didn't post that information until I had given up on the whole thing. Oh well ... these things happen.
Pretty sure this applies to any operation, not just railway. The able to adapt and overcome is key. Sounds like an adventure that work out well for you. A charge cellular phone and a credit card will make or break you when things go wrong.
It is always a nightmare when something like this happens during your travels, but in NYC, problems seem to multiply. Information at Penn Station was spotty. At first there was an announcement about taking a bus to Secaucus, which doesn't make sense to me, since the train I eventually took from Hoboken would not have stopped there. I was able to figure out how to get to Hoboken because I know the rail network, but not having any Dover trains on the display screen when we got there was confusing. If I didn't know the layout of the place, I might still be standing there in that small gaggle waiting for a track assignment (OK, I wouldn't still be there now, but you get my drift).
You are absolutely right about a powered-up cell phone, but mine was nearly dry because I'd been using it all day with no place to plug in. I guess a younger person might know how to get around that.

I was standing at 34th street around 3 o'clock when the announcement came that it was cancelled -- a surprisingly clear and understandable announcement, by NYC standards. I guess they had the train standing at 2nd avenue for anyone who wanted to walk through it, but they didn't post that information until I had given up on the whole thing. Oh well ... these things happen.

It is always a nightmare when something like this happens during your travels, but in NYC, problems seem to multiply. Information at Penn Station was spotty. At first there was an announcement about taking a bus to Secaucus, which doesn't make sense to me, since the train I eventually took from Hoboken would not have stopped there. I was able to figure out how to get to Hoboken because I know the rail network, but not having any Dover trains on the display screen when we got there was confusing. If I didn't know the layout of the place, I might still be standing there in that small gaggle waiting for a track assignment (OK, I wouldn't still be there now, but you get my drift).
You are absolutely right about a powered-up cell phone, but mine was nearly dry because I'd been using it all day with no place to plug in. I guess a younger person might know how to get around that.
"You are absolutely right about a powered-up cell phone, but mine was nearly dry because I'd been using it all day with no place to plug in. I guess a younger person might know how to get around that."

I'm 68 and I carry a phone charger with me when I'm traveling. Even when I'm not traveling, I have it in my backpack that I take with me (and leave in the car most of the time) every day I go out (for walks, etc).

I'm 68 and I carry a phone charger with me when I'm traveling. Even when I'm not traveling, I have it in my backpack that I take with me (and leave in the car most of the time) every day I go out (for walks, etc).
I will happily take advice from older people, too (I'm 64). I'll have to hunt the Internet and learn about phone chargers.
One of the problems here was that I didn't have a backpack or anything else with me. I went to a sports event at night and you can't get it through security. The value of staying at a suburban hotel and taking NJ Transit is you travel cheaper and lighter. But there's also the danger something like this can leave you high and dry. I don't think I can risk this in the future. The thought of getting stuck in NY away from my medicine is a little scary.

Yes the publicity statement is correct.
The reason why there major communications/server issue is what the community is interested in. This is the third meltdown Amtrak has had. The first two were in combination with freight railroads, this time it was limited to the NEC.

The last national system collapsed impacted me while waiting for my connection in Chicago to the Texas Eagle. So that my interest.
I believe that was last March 24th. I was trying to connect to the Builder. Ended up flying to Seattle.

Yes it was that weekend in 2023.
For whatever reason the LSL was able to roll on the 24th of March, but I got caught in Chicago on the 25th trying to catch the Texas Eagle. So I had to convert my train kit to an airplane setup. End up with a full refund for the segment on the TE but did have to call in for it.

Major communications/server issue affecting a the entire Northeast - basically sounds like anything Amtrak dispatched and is affecting NJ transit, MARC, and SEPTA too. Sounds like Metro North is not affected.
We experienced a similar situation last March. We were traveling CHI to NOL on the CONO. Found out noon the day we were supposed to leave at 8pm that a satellite went down, stopping every single train leaving or arriving at Chicago. We waited until 7pm, being told that they "thought" we would go. (there were NO trains from Thurs - Sunday that weekend). Union Station was a total ZOO with 1000's of people milling about waiting to hear if their train was going. Finally, 30 minutes before we were scheduled to leave, it was announced that no trains were going. We ended up staying overnight and flying to New Orleans the next day, at a cost of about $1700. Amtrak refunded my points, and give me a $100 credit towards another trip.. NOT a good resolution, but what are you going to do?

I will happily take advice from older people, too (I'm 64). I'll have to hunt the Internet and learn about phone chargers.
One of the problems here was that I didn't have a backpack or anything else with me. I went to a sports event at night and you can't get it through security. The value of staying at a suburban hotel and taking NJ Transit is you travel cheaper and lighter. But there's also the danger something like this can leave you high and dry. I don't think I can risk this in the future. The thought of getting stuck in NY away from my medicine is a little scary.
Smaller power banks may not give your phone a full charge, but will fit easily in a pocket. Larger ones are bulkier, but may still fit in a large pocket, like on jeans or a winter jacket. Security checkers are savvy and don't usually question them. Anker is generally considered a reliable brand.

Back