NEC shut down due to freight derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
I'm surprised no mention of this has been made on this forum yet (as far as I can see, unless I missed it buried down within a thread somewhere).

A CSX freight train derailed at about 7:15 Tuesday morning, and several cars jacknifed and blocked Amtrak's line (I think it was just east of Hell Gate, though I'm not 100% sure of the location). The derailed freight cars blocked both Amtrak tracks (the freight train was on a CSX track when it happened) and apparently also knocked down the catenary.

All Amtrak service between NYP (New York) and NHV (New Haven) is suspended until at least Wednesday. Metro North (which operates out of Grand Central Terminal in New York, and is unaffected by the derailment) is honoring Amtrak tickets for travel between New York and New Haven.

Amtrak attempted to run a normal schedule NYP-WAS, and also ran some service between BOS and NHV, though the latter service wasn't necessarily running on any sort of schedule.

When the line opens, it is likely that Amtrak will initially run diesels on trains past the derailment site, since electric power probably won't be restored until later. More info is at the Amtrak website.

The current plan is that limited regional service NYP to BOS will be restored in the morning, but with delays of 30 to 45 minutes. They do expect to have at least one track up and running in the morning with electric power.

All Acela and Metroliner service between BOS & NYP however is cancelled for tomorrow. Only Regional's will run.

I didn't post this sooner, since I just got home from Toronto. Alas, in my car, not on the train.

Ps. The pics of the derailment ain't pretty. Freight cars sideways across all 4 tracks, 2 Amtrak, 2 CSX.

There will be nine north and southbound Regionals into and out of New York. Diesels will haul the trains through the derailment site (essentially from Sunnyside-New Rochelle) cut off and the train will continue. No word on whether through trains to Springfield and Vermont will be some of the Regionals that run through.

The Diesels are two back to back Gennies, and they are pulling from New Rochelle to Pelham Bay, due to wire damage.

No Acela service , they don't want to set them up for tow as it takes longer than a conventional consist.

Ray L. Nutz said:
The Diesels are two back to back Gennies, and they are pulling from New Rochelle to Pelham Bay, due to wire damage.
Oak Point yard, where the derailment occured, is south or RR west of Pelham Bay. So running diesels between New Rochelle and Pelham Bay would make no sense. Diesel service would have to continue to at least the Hell Gate bridge, and most likely south of the bridge to Gate interlocking.

Ray L. Nutz said:
No Acela service , they don't want to set them up for tow as it takes longer than a conventional consist.
It's not just setting them up for towing, it hurts the faster schedules too. Otherwise, they would be towing the Metroliners, which don't require extra work for towing. Instead all premium service has been cancelled.

I understand the NEC is still having problems today following the freight derailment. Isn't it bad enough for CSX to plague Amtrak with delays on their track? Now they are going to foul Amtraks too?

Oh please. This was an accident. I highly doubt CSX is thinking "How else can we mess up life for Amtrak?" Part of the delay in getting full service back on line results from the fact that the Engineers are rebuilding the catenary to today's standards, which is much more time consuming than rebuilding it to the 1900-ish standards which are seen on that line.

On a seperate note, as much as I hate to say it, this could be a good thing down the road. This is demonstrating to Congress and all of the Northeast what a critical role in everyday life Amtrak plays.

Also, as of 3:00 Amtrak plans on resuming normal service tomorrow, but delays of 10-15 minutes can be expected due to slow orders through the new catenary area.

On the "O please" aspect, you are right; I should learn to hold my comments like that. On another aspect, the catenary, wasn't all that old pre-WWI stuff supposed to be replaced with modern lines several years ago?

Key word, was. The budget called for the replacement of it, but since full funding levels weren't met, they weren't able to do the work.

battalion51 said:
Key word, was. The budget called for the replacement of it, but since full funding levels weren't met, they weren't able to do the work.
Plus with CSX constantly derailing in that area, it doesn't really matter if the wires are new or old, they still fall down.

This is the second time in the last few years that a CSX derailment has knocked down the wires.

I hope CSX will at least be liable for the damages and repairs etc. to Amtrak ROW and equipment. In fact they ought to be liable for lost fare revenue etc., too, since when Amtrak had a CSX-caused derailment in Florida with Auto-Train, Amtrak got shafted with the damage and injury and death suit judgments even though it was CSX's fault.

Back