NEC trackwork just north of Washington

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
This is something that Amtrak will never publicly announce, unless a major hurricane hits Washington, DC during that period. :rolleyes:

A trackwork program will necessitate single-tracking on the Northeast Corridor between Landover and Washington, potentially delaying most trains into and out of Washington Union Station for a period of four weeks.

MARC, the commuter rail agency that operates over Amtrak's tracks on the NEC between Perryville, Baltimore, and Washington, had the decency to let their passengers know. Their announcement is here.

Does that mean the NEC is only double tracked to Washington DC? I would have expected at least four tracks.

-Firebert

Firebert said:
Does that mean the NEC is only double tracked to Washington DC? I would have expected at least four tracks.-Firebert
The NEC is 4 tracks from NY south to Philly. From Philly on south, it varies between 2 or 3 tracks most of the time. There are a few places with 4 tracks, but not many.

There are 4 tracks at the BWI Airport station. Then at about Bowie it goes down to 2 tracks. Note that at New Carrollton station there is one island platform between two tracks, and no other tracks where a train could possibly bypass a stopped train. It continues as two tracks until the junction with the CSX line on which the MARC Camden Line runs, and then there are progressively more the closer one gets to Washington Union Station....of course culminating at 23(?) tracks at the station itself. (That's Tracks 8 through 30, since Tracks 1-7 no longer exist due to the Metro Red Line.)

Superliner Diner said:
There are 4 tracks at the BWI Airport station. Then at about Bowie it goes down to 2 tracks. Note that at New Carrollton station there is one island platform between two tracks, and no other tracks where a train could possibly bypass a stopped train. It continues as two tracks until the junction with the CSX line on which the MARC Camden Line runs, and then there are progressively more the closer one gets to Washington Union Station....of course culminating at 23(?) tracks at the station itself. (That's Tracks 8 through 30, since Tracks 1-7 no longer exist due to the Metro Red Line.)
Sorry SD, but BWI only has three tracks, not four, and there are three tracks at New Carrollton, but trains from DC can't access that third track until they are north of the station. That third track curves off just south of the station and leads to CSX's Landover Sub.

Here's the basic rundown of the NEC, heading north from WUS.

Once clear of the terminal area MP 132 or so, 2 tracks to Landover MP 128, where a third track comes in on the east side of the main. However northbound trains can't access that third track (at least according to the info I have), until they are north of New Carrollton station at Bowie interlocking MP 121. There is also a gauntlet track on the #2 track for south bound freights to clear the east side of the station platform.

North of BWI at Winans MP 103, a fourth track is added on the east side of the main. Four tracks run until Bridge interlocking MP98, just south of the Baltimore tunnels. Only two tracks run from there into the station at Baltimore.

North of BAL MP 95, there are three tracks in the tunnels. Upon emerging from the tunnel it goes up to four tracks at MP 94. That's maintained until Gunpowder River MP79, where the main drops to two tracks. A two track main runs to just north of the Bush River MP 71, where it goes back to three tracks. That runs to Grace MD MP 61, where it drops back to two tracks to cross the Susquehanna River.

Once across the river it increases to a 4 track main through Perryville MD, and then returns to 2 tracks at Prince MP 57. Two tracks run to Bacon MP 51, where a third track returns. At Iron MP 42, a fourth track is added. The 4 track main continues thru the Newark Del station and then drops back to a 3 track main at MP 37.

For a brief stretch between MP 30 & MP 29, it drops to a two track main, but quickly returns to 3 tracks prior to entering Wilmington. Right north of Wilmington at MP 26 the main briefly returns to two tracks for less than a mile.

At MP 25 it returns to a 4 track main, which is maintained into Philly MP 0.

As I mentioned before, north of Philly 4 tracks are maintained at all times to Newark, NJ. There are even a few stretches where it is a 6 track main.

Out of Newark it varies between 2, 3, & 4 tracks over the course of 4 miles. Just past the new Secaucus Junction, the line drops to a 2 track main for the Hudson River Tunnels into Penn.

I'm curious to know who owned the NEC (at least the section between NYC and DC) prior to Amtrak? Was it onwned exclusively by the Pennsylvania or was it jointly owned by several railroads?

In recent history, the ownership of the NEC's NYP-WAS mainline was singular prior to Amtrak aquiring the property. From most recent to earliest: Conrail; Penn Central; Pennsylvania Railroad. At least that's the case for the twentieth century.

Prior to that there were several companies that held title to the NYP-WAS line. They were either controlled by or aquired outright by the PRR - but they retained their individual identies for various reason and lengths of time.

So how did non PRR trains get access to DC Union Station? Did they lease access to the PRR tracks to reach the station or were there other access points to the station that are now no longer in use?

Conrail only owned it for a very short time, I think it was a matter of days back in April 1976 before convaying it over to Amtrak

National Limited said:
So how did non PRR trains get access to DC Union Station? Did they lease access to the PRR tracks to reach the station or were there other access points to the station that are now no longer in use?
Trains from the south (SOU, ACL, SBD, C&O, etc.) used the RF&P through Alexandria, VA to Potomoca Yard, and the PRR across the Potomac River to access the station through the Virginia Avenue tunnel. The B&O had it's own right of way that gave its trains direct access to Union Station from the north and the west.

National Limited said:
Thanks for the info railman. Does the B&O right-of-way still exist? Is it now part of the NEC Amtrak owns?
I would thinks so, (though I am not positive) being CSX aquired the old B&O when Seaboard and Chessie merged. I believe the "Capital" operates over CSX out of WAS on its route to CHI.

Railman may be able to give better info on this, though, as I am not from the area up there and very familiar with it other than the NEC.

CSX inherited the old B&O Royal Blue Route, which runs from Philadelphia to Washington, DC. MARC Camden Line trains still use this route between Baltimore - Camden Station and Washington Union Station.

The old B&O route from Washington to Pittsburgh is still very active for CSX, and hosts MARC trains to/from Frederick, MD; Martinsburg, WV; and Amtrak's Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh, PA.

Amtrak has now posted the story on its website...better late than never (which I guess could be considered the Amtrak motto :lol: )

Click Here for the story.

I guess my train won't arriving in WAS on time next week. :( At least I'll get a few more minutes on board the Acela! :D B)

Back