Need advice - what would you do (ticket question)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I write this in bullets to make it easier.

My concern is the way the weather has been and likely will be.

I apologize in advance for not making sense but I'm trying :p

I have to be in NOL no later than Sat. 1/25

I'll be leaving NOL on Sun. 2/2 and have no problem with that.

I purchased a sleeper ticket under the old e-voucher system so I have an old fashioned, hard copy, round trip ticket for CHI-NOL 1/24 and NOL-CHI 2/2 (I had to drive 50 miles to get that dang ticket)

Plan B is CHI-NOL on 1/22 - I purchased that sleeper ticket just now because there was one left at $202 (coach was and is $212, crazy huh?)

If I leave on 1/22, which seems like the smartest thing to do at this point, am I SOL on the CHI-NOL portion of the hard copy ticket (e-voucher would be fine)?

I really don't want to lose my great price on the NOL - CHI portion of the original ticket - current price is $100 more.

So.... if I leave on 1/22, can I get the whole thing fixed in CHI with a real live person?

Edited to add - thanks for any and all help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousin in NOL says they are forecast for a high of 70 on Saturday. I think you will have no problems by the end of the week. This widespread weather disruption is unprecedented, and not likely to happen again.

Even the best weather forecasters can't predict for sure more than a week or so out except in vague generalities. Keep monitoring the weather and you should be fine. Honestly, though, it sounds like you got a steal for the 1/22 train. I'd stick with that one and figure out a way to get your current ticket to pay for it. In the worst case, should weather be a problem, you will have two days to figure out what to do.

In the Amtrak system (unlike the system for airlines) a round-trip ticket is officially two one-way segments.

In Chicago, talking to a real live person on 1/22, you *should* be able to get the first segment on your paper round-trip ticket cancelled and refunded / replaced with a voucher, while retaining (unmodified) the second segment on your paper ticket. I've done things like this before. If you are OK with getting another voucher, that's what I'd do.

Just make sure you cancel 14 days in advance for your sleeper tickets. Then you can get a refund. If you don't, you'll have to turn it in to an evoucher again. I'd stick with going 1/22.

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

My biggest concern is not losing the $ amount for the 1/24 segment if I decide to go on 1/22 - all I want is a voucher, no refund.

I'm going to play it by ear and if it looks iffy that week, I'm bugging out on 1/22

I only have a hotel res for 1/25 but the app Hotel Tonight that guest_lsa posted in the NOLA hotels thread is fantastic so I don't think I'll have a problem finding another hotel for 2 nights.

I love NOLA so some extra time there won't make me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back