need info on Newark to FL Superliner Deluxe Sleep

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liz

Hello and i hope someone can help me here. i've never travelled on a train and am planning to book my family (me, hubby, 4yo & 2yo) for our Disney Trip in March. we live in lower NY state, and from what i've researched the best route for us would be to drive to Newark NJ and take a non-stop to Kissimmee FL. I called Amtrak... cust serv rep told me a Deluxe Sleeper on the superliner has one full size lower bed and one upper small bed, which is perfect for us (the 2 kids need to sleep with me and hubby can sleep in the upper). I can't find any diagram of a config like this (w/ full bed). Just wondering is anyone knows or has other opinions that would be good for us. We don't mind the cost, so any other suggestions are welcome! Non-stop (or really i mean no transfers of trains) are very important. what about smoking on the train? we don't smoke and can't really tolerate it well (hubby gets sick from it). someone told me that the last time she took a train was the last time she'll take a train (about a year ago it was). she said it was dirty, crowded and not enjoyable. this goes against everything i've come up with so far in my research. what about my small children? anything for them to do? is there a lounge-type car with tv or something? again, thanks for any help... i'm lost and just have no idea what to expect.

thanks! Liz :)

Liz, first of all congrats on taking a trip on Amtrak. Now first of all you will not be travelling in the bi-level Superliners, but rather the single level Viewliners. The Viewliners are seven years old and there are fifty of them. Each Deluxe room has a shower, tv, sink, toilet, and two beds, a large sofa (one of the beds by night) and a small arm chair. The TV in your room has two video channels that show movies round the clock plus three audio channels. A diagram of the room can be foundhere. The smoking policy on Silver Service has changed in March. Unless there is an enclosed smoking room in the lounge car the train is completely non smoking, smokers are allowed to step off at select stations (Washington, Florence, Charleston, Jacksonville, Orlando) and light up. The lounge car is generally where the coach folks go to escape the coaches, there is a snack bar in the lounge, and the will ocasionally show movies too, but they are the same as those in your sleeping car. The Dining car is where you will recieve all of your meals, which are included in the price of the sleeping car. Food is generally American, food for the kids includes Mac & Cheese and chicken tenders, for the adults, steak, chicken, fish, etc. You will have a great trip, if there's anything else you'd like to know just ask.

Something I would like to add, is that the deserts in the diner are great! :p . I would reccomend trying one of the deserts if you have the chance. :)

Liz,

First off, I’m hoping that you have someone who will drive you to the station in Newark. I’m not sure just how much long term parking is available there, plus I’m not real sure that I’d want to leave my car in that area even if there is long term parking available.

My second thought is, do you have a specific reason for going to Kissimmee and not Orlando? Overall the transportation options are much better in Orlando, than they are in Kissimmee. In fact if you are only going to Disney and are staying at a Disney hotel, then you wouldn’t need to rent a car in Florida if you go to Orlando. Amtrak, through Coach USA, runs shuttle vans direct from the Orlando station right to all Disney hotels and many others in the area.

Next, as Battalion mentioned, you would be traveling on a single-level Viewliner sleeper, not a bi-level Superliner sleeper. The Viewliner does have the advantage in that there is a small 7-inch plasma screen TV. Two videotapes that loop over and over feed this TV. On each of the two tapes, they typically have two "just out of the theatre" movies, a couple of cartoons, and a couple of TV comedies. None of the movies are R rated; they tend to have only G’s and some PG’s.

I would also suggest that you pack two small backpacks full of each child’s favorite toys. The four-year-old might even want to carry his/her backpack. Try to bring toys that don’t have lots of parts that are easy to loose. Between the novelty of the train ride, meals in the diner, the TV, and their own toys, you shouldn’t have too much trouble keeping them occupied.

Just this past May, I was on the AutoTrain with my two nephews and their parents. The younger one was 18 months and the older was just 4. Both thought the train was the greatest thing. It got even more exciting when the realized that they got to eat and sleep on the train. Of course the younger one though it was great fun to pull the table clothe and knock over the flowers. He also had a great time sticking his whole face into his bowl of ice cream.

Now the one concern that I do have is the three of you in the lower bunk. That bed is 6 feet 6 inches long, however it is only 3 feet 4 inches wide. So please be sure that the three of you will indeed fit side by side. The upper bunk is only 2 feet wide, so I’m not sure if you can squeeze the two-year-old up top with dad either.

In some sense it might almost make more sense for you to have to standard bedrooms. That way you’d have four beds. The problem here though is two fold, one you wouldn’t all be in the same room. Secondly you would loose the floor space that is available in the Deluxe room. While it’s not a huge amount of space, it does give the kids some play space. There is no play space in a standard room.

If you were going to take the Auto Train, then I would have recommended the family room. This would have accommodated your family quite nicely. Unfortunately this type of room is not available on the train out of NY.

If you click here you will be taken to a page at Amtrak. This page will give you a virtual tour of your room in both the daytime configuration and the nighttime configuration. You must have QuikTime installed on your computer to see the virtual tour.

Now for a couple of other thoughts. One, be sure to hold each child’s hand when moving from one car to the next. Be sure to tell them to step over the joint where the two cars come together. You don’t want to catch a toe in between, should the cars bounce while you are crossing over. You may even want to try and carry the two-year-old, if they’ll let you.

Your sleeping car attendant will supply you with free coffee, tea, water, juice, and soda. He/she will also setup and take down your beds as needed. You may want to also ask him to fold up the folding chair for you. This will give the kids a little more floor space to play on. In addition you might want to bring a small baby blanket to spread out on the floor for them to play on. Amtrak does vacuum the cars, but still you might feel better if they are playing on the blanket and not the floor.

The room does not have a huge amount of space, so pack if possible one small bag with everyone’s overnight clothes, toiletries, and cloths for the next day. You don’t want to have to keep pulling big suitcases down from on top of the vanity/shower unit, which is where you will have to put them unless you check some of your bags. There is also a cubbyhole over the hallway for another medium sized suitcase.

However the room will not hold more than two large suitcases on top of the shower, one medium sized in the cubbyhole, and a small suitcase under the couch. If you have more luggage than that, I highly recommend checking a few bags. It will also make it easier for you if you don’t have to carry all that luggage and the kids onto the train.

Finally deluxe sleepers sell out fast on the Florida trains, so once you are sure of the dates you want to travel, make your reservations. Certainly make sure that you confirm your sleeper before the three-month mark or you may not get a deluxe. You should also know that as the sleepers fill up, the price goes up. So again the sooner you confirm your reservation, the better.

OK, didn't mean to just type WOW, accidently hit the button:p

anyway, thank you all so much for the info!! I'm amazed at everything you guys know about this!

we are having someone drive us to newark, thanks for that tip!

i picked kissimmee because someone on a disney board said that station is smaller (in a quaint way), nicer, cleaner, etc, than the orlando station, and that it's much closer to disney (like 10 minutes compared to the orlando station being 30 minutes - 45 minutes?)... but if we can get a transfer from the orlando station to our disney hotel, that's better for us for sure. we're trying to not rent a car there. but can i just as easily take a taxi from kissimmee if the station is what the disney poster said? we'd rather have our own taxi then wait for other travellers, hotel stops, etc, on a shared van.

since you all know so much, maybe i can get an answer for this here too... what happens on the train if someone needs medical attention or has an emergency? my 4yo daughter has epilepsy and i just like to know what would happen in the off-chance we needed attention for her. she's only had seizures with fevers so far, and we probably wouldn't travel with her with a fever, so chances are that we won't need anything, but you never know.

and... are the cars really clean, or so-so, or yucky? i'm guessing not yucky or you all wouldn't enjoy train travelling so much.

any other suggestions for sleeping cars or routes? we do family-bed at home, so my 2 kids *need* to sleep with me, so individual beds wouldn't work (and i'd be afraid of both of them falling out of bed without bedrails). but any other suggestions for trains, sleeping cars, etc, are welcome (we can leave anywhere from up here (ny - we live an hour outside of nyc, so we can drive to a few places) and our only main concern is no transfering of trains. did the rep give me the best suggestion for that route and the deluxe sleeping car for our situation?

thanks again if anyone can answer anything else!

Liz

The cars are generally very clean. Amtrak cleans the cars when they reach there final destination.

In terms of kids falling out without bedrails, the Viewliners have a harness on the upper berth, that does not restrict their movement in anyway. It serves just to prevent them from accidently falling out.

If someone needs medical attention on board, it is best inform one of the conductors. They will do whatever it takes to insure that you get the medical attention that you need. I have seen instances where the train is stopped, and an ambulance is pulled up along side.

The train staff will do whatever is necessary to get medical attention to your child if she needs it. It is also quite possible that when you get 300 people together on a train someone will have some medical knowledge to help your child if something should happen. Make sure you pack any medication she needs in a carry on, as you will not have access to checked bags while en route.

As for the accommodations, the Deluxe room will probably suit your needs the best. It is the largest room (besides the Handicap room) that Amtrak offers on Silver Service. As P-42 said, the children would be fine in either the upper or lower bed as there are restraints to keep you from falling out of bed. As for the New York City area there is Penn Station in downtown Manhattan, and also Penn Station in Newark. Newark is a smaller station compared to Manhattan, but Penn Station in New York is a bigger station with more services available to you the traveller. In New York ClubAcela is available to First Class (Sleeping Car) passengers with a private lounge, refreshment center, and priority boarding onto the train ahead of the cattle call for the rest of the passengers.

As for your station choice in the Orlando area, Kissimmee is the station I personally recommend to travellers. It is a smaller station, with a friendly staff. Cabs are always there for arriving trains for the short drive to Walt Disney World, and you can always call a cab to bring you back to the station. Also by boarding in Kissimmee you will be able to get into the Dining car for lunch (if you take Train 98) before the rest of the crowd gets on in Orlando. Orlando is a larger station where the staff has a greater volume of people to deal with, and many people are often confused when it comes to boarding time. Any other questions let us know.

Liz said:
we are having someone drive us to newark, thanks for that tip!
Liz,

Then I highly recommend that you stay with your plan to board at the Newark station. While NY Penn station does have the nice First Class waiting room, driving there will be much harder. That's not to say that Newark is a picnic, but it's certainly better than NY.

Newark even has a loading/unload area. NY doesn't unless you are driving a cab. Be warned however, that they are doing construction on Route 21 which is the main road leading to the station. So allow a little extra time for that. This construction will still be on going next March, as they are preparing for a subway expansion in that area.

Also plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your train is scheduled to depart. If you are checking baggage and/or picking up your tickets, then I would add at least another 15 to 30 minutes for that.

Liz said:
i picked kissimmee because someone on a disney board said that station is smaller (in a quaint way), nicer, cleaner, etc, than the orlando station, and that it's much closer to disney (like 10 minutes compared to the orlando station being 30 minutes - 45 minutes?)... but if we can get a transfer from the orlando station to our disney hotel, that's better for us for sure. we're trying to not rent a car there. but can i just as easily take a taxi from kissimmee if the station is what the disney poster said? we'd rather have our own taxi then wait for other travellers, hotel stops, etc, on a shared van.
I think that Battalion, who lives in Florida and frequents this area, covered the above quite nicely for you. So I won't touch that one.

Liz said:
since you all know so much, maybe i can get an answer for this here too... what happens on the train if someone needs medical attention or has an emergency? my 4yo daughter has epilepsy and i just like to know what would happen in the off-chance we needed attention for her. she's only had seizures with fevers so far, and we probably wouldn't travel with her with a fever, so chances are that we won't need anything, but you never know.
Again I think that Battalion covered this rather nicely. Let me also add that the engineer, and usually the conductor, can always reach someone via their radios, even if you can't reach someone via your cell phone. Sometimes the conductor's radio isn't powerful enough to reach help, but then he'll just call the engineer who has a far more powerful radio to relay the message.

I also think that all conductors must pass a basic first aid class, although Battalion would know better as he's friends with a few conductors.

Liz said:
and... are the cars really clean, or so-so, or yucky? i'm guessing not yucky or you all wouldn't enjoy train travelling so much.
This is always a relative question. What's clean to one person might be immaculate to another, and horribly dirty to a third person.

Amtrak tries hard to keep things clean. You will be sure to get fresh clean sheets on the beds, clean pillows, and clean towels and washcloths. They vacuum the carpets before the train leaves the yard on it's way to the first stop. The toilets and bathrooms are cleaned and sanitized also.

That said however, like any company there are good workers and there are lazy workers. So that can affect things depending on who cleaned your car. Also if a train runs very late the day before, then the amount of time that the workers have to clean it for the next day is decreased. If they are rushing, sadly sometimes things can be overlooked.

Hopefully you'll find it up to your standards, but I certainly wouldn't recommend letting your kids eat off the floor. In fact that's why I highly recommend your bringing a baby blanket to put on the floor, because if your two-year-old is anything like my nephew, then things still wandering into the mouth from time to time. I don't want to scare you, but I also don't want you believing that you are checking into the Ritz.

Finally, from what you are describing it sounds like the Deluxe is the best bet for you. Just be sure that the three of you can fit into what is essentially a standard twin bed. Unless of course you want to squeeze the two-year-old in the top bunk with dad.

Make sure that you place the youngest closest to the wall with the adult on the outer edge of the bed. That way you protect them from rolling out of the bunk.

When you reach Newark, especially if you don't check any bags, but even if you do, you might want to consider finding a redcap to help you with the luggage. The reason I recommend this is that Newark is not a small station. It has six tracks and your train could arrive on anyone of three tracks.

A redcap will know which track the train is due to come in on, before they announce it to the entire station. He will therefore bring you up earlier than the rest of the crowd. This will save your needing to run and find your track and then your sleeping car. The train will typically remain in the station for no more than five minutes.

So under the circumstances, with two little ones and at least some luggage, I'd say that it's worth tipping a redcap a few bucks to carry your bags just so you can get up to the tracks quicker and more easily than you could on your own. Most redcaps expect at least 50 cents per bag, but you can adjust based upon how helpful and friendly he/she was. Please make sure that he/she is indeed wearing a red cap and an Amtrak shirt/jacket, before you turn your luggage over to someone.

Now since I mentioned tipping above, let's talk about tips on board the train. I would recommend at least 10 bucks for your sleeping car attendant, more if he/she really goes out of their way for you. Like bringing you a meal from the dining car.

In the dining car, while your meals are included, you should still tip the waiter/waitress. Most people tip a buck per person for breakfast and lunch, and two per person for dinner. Again good service may well warrant more. Note: While your meals are included, only non-alcoholic drinks are included. You must pay for wine and beer in the diner. If you visit the lounge car for something then you must pay for it.

Finally, while sadly a copyright issue prevents posting the actual page, you might wish to contact HaRRy Sutton at this page. He's compiled a wonderful set of hints and tips for the first time Amtrak traveler. His email address is listed on the page at the link above. Simply send him an email and he'll be happy to mail you the list.

It's also highly likely that it will be posted at the above link in another two months or so, once the copyright issue is resolved. So you might be able to wait until then and print them out yourself, since your trip isn't till March.

Again I think that Battalion covered this rather nicely. Let me also add that the engineer, and usually the conductor, can always reach someone via their radios, even if you can't reach someone via your cell phone. Sometimes the conductor's radio isn't powerful enough to reach help, but then he'll just call the engineer who has a far more powerful radio to relay the message.
I also think that all conductors must pass a basic first aid class, although Battalion would know better as he's friends with a few conductors.
Well thank you Alan. As for what you said however the Engineers and Conductors always have a way of contacting someone somewhere. All Long Distance trains carry a Nextel wireless phone, in addition to that many Conductors and Engineers carry personal cell phones to contact people. Usually though when it comes to making stops in awkward places to get people off the train (for removal reasons, behavioral or medical) the Railroad dispatcher is generally the person in charge. The Disptcher will usually arrange for the train to get as close to a town as possible on an outside track (preferably at a grade crossing) so that Medical personnel can get right up to the train. HOwever if such a thing were to occur in the Northeast you more likely than not would stop at one of the many Commuter stations along the route where medical personnel would meet you. It's hard to tell what will happen, but always know that in any medical emergency every effort is made to get that passenger medical attention as soon as possible.

I have to just say thank you again to everyone who answered me and gave me tips! i'm really looking forward to taking the train now, and hubby is too, seeing as he can start "vacationing" and relaxing at newark instead of him driving all the way to florida :)

Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back