Need trip planning advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Hello guys, it has been awhile since I have posted.

I am trying to put a trip together and could really use your expertise on a few things:

Taking CA Zephyr to Chicago and spending a few nights in Chicago and then taking the Empire Bldr to Portland and flying home. Any thoughts here?

What about the station in Chicago where is it located?

Is there a benefit to traveling either east or west bound on either or those trains as I can reverse the plan too?

Thanks!

Hi Radsmom,

I did something similar last year. The Union Station in Chicago is right downtown. Downtown of course is where you want to be! It's fantastic. So much to see and do (get hold of Lonely Planet Chicago). Stay at the Cass hotel (check out the website) which is clean, and has a great location downtown and good price, around $70 a night for a double. There are also hostels if you are on a budget.

I don't think it makes much difference which way you go on the CZ but I think you have more daylight for mountains if you take theEmpire Builder East to West, unless the train is late, but it's not usually late.

Have fun!

Scott

I have travled on both trains. My advice is to take the CZ westbound, because after Denver in the morning you go up the front range of the Rockies. This is one of the most dramatic segment of mountain railroading in the world.

If you take the Empire Builder Westbound, you reach glacier park about 5 P.M. or so. Check the scheduel. This is when you are actually in the mountains. IF the train is late, you go through in darkness. However, If you go eastbound on the Builder, you will see the Rockies in the morning. Also, bring a book for that long ride across eastern Montana and North Dakotal. It is FLAT!.

Radsmom,

Here's a link to the Cass Hotel in Chicago. The hotel is located just north of Chicago's famous "Loop", while Union Station is located just west of the loop.

Also if you haven't already, you may want to check with Amtrak Vacations. They can put together the trip you are planning for you and may be able to save you a few bucks.

I feel that the CZ is best westbound, also. Because coming east, if it is the wrong time of year(daylight time vs standard time, etc) or if the train is late it will be dark on your downslide in Denver...you will miss some of the peak scenery. It is that westbound CLIMB that is so breathtakingly beautiful. I am not as familiar with the Empire Builder, though I have been been on it a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back