New Anaheim Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njulian

Service Attendant
I just received this notice from AMTRAK advising me of the station change for Anaheim. My question is, does anyone know anything further about this? First I heard of it, and I go into this station at least once a year. Sounds interesting. Fuzzy on where it is, close, but is there a map that shows comparisons of the two sites?

<<<<<Please be advised that effective Saturday, December 6, Amtrak service in Anaheim will move to the Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC). The new station is located between the Honda Center and Angel Stadium, approximately one quarter mile east of the current station.

Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC)
2626 East Katella Avenue
Anaheim, California 92806-5903

The new station will serve Amtrak Pacific Surfliner service, Metrolink commuter trains, Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA), Anaheim Resort Transportation (ART), Megabus.com, Greyhound, taxis, bikes and more. While ARTIC opens for service on December 6, 2014, its community-wide grand opening celebration is on Saturday, December 13, 2014.

For reservations and information, visit Amtrak.com, use our free mobile apps or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). WE look forward to serving you at our new location. Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. Join us on facebook.com/Amtrak, and follow us on twitter.com/Amtrak.

ABOUT ARTIC: The Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC) is the premier transportation hub in Southern California providing transit services and, over the next two months, a variety of restaurants and retail options will open to passengers.>>>>

If you enter "Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC)" into any search engine -- say, Google -- it brings up images of the new station, news articles, maps (where you can see where the old station was and the new one) and oh, so many other wonderful things. I think now I understand the phrase "here, let me Google that for you" better.

If you enter "Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC)" into any search engine -- say, Google -- it brings up images of the new station, news articles, maps (where you can see where the old station was and the new one) and oh, so many other wonderful things. I think now I understand the phrase "here, let me Google that for you" better.
Thanks..I was being lazy and thought folks here would just pop up images. I'll Google that... :)

The Google maps satellite view (2011) doesn't show the new construction, yet. However, one of the street views shows the dome being constructed. https://goo.gl/maps/RHfIq

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call it a terrible planned streetcar line, I'd call it a planned streetcar from Disneyland to the train station. A... very specific purpose. If I were them, I'd use streetcars with giant luggage racks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call it a terrible planned streetcar line, I'd call it a planned streetcar from Disneyland to the train station. A... very specific purpose. If I were them, I'd use streetcars with giant luggage racks.
Pulled by a horse.

800px-Disneyland-HorseDrawnStreetcar.jpg

Great idea! Frankly, I'd rather have the old station where you just take a cab from Disneyland, go through the Angels parking lot, lug your luggage up the ramp and get on the train, rather than have a big complex with lots of scurrying and where do I go, etc.

Pulled by a horse.

800px-Disneyland-HorseDrawnStreetcar.jpg

You actually can walk from the old station to the new station if you exit to the west. Most frequent commuters are probably going to do that rather than go up and down through the new station.

Went through the new station Friday to catch the Surfliner 579. Parked in Lot A, not sure what else to do right now. Went through the main entrance and found the Quiktrak machine and printed the ticket as usual.

The station is big, apparently there will be restaurants and such before too long. Maybe their customers will come from Metrolink, because I never see more than a half dozen people getting on or off Amtrak at Anaheim.

From the Amtrak window went up the steps to see the police with a homeless guy on the floor, hands cuffed behind him. Went though the station, and then down to the track. One improvement is that the Surfliner stops under the freeway, so I have some shade now when waiting.

This morning on the 562 only a a few people got off at Anaheim. There was maybe a dozen people total in the station, including security.

It's clean for now, but I don't see a huge demand for a station this size. When they start charging for parking, I might start using Irvine.

Free parking at the station in the City of Orange, but Amtrak doesn't stop there. Only Metrolink.

the station was designed with future high speed rail in mind as well.

being a train fan AND an Amtrak fan I've used the Anaheim station many times and am looking forward to the new station. why does anyone think the streetcar line is a terrible idea? the only flaw in the design is it runs at grade in traffic. But it will link the transit station/ stadium, Disney, hotels, and the Anaheim Convention Center. That's 4 major destinations.

You'd think they would take a hint and build overhead monorail. It seems like I've seen something similar to that somewhere in Anaheim before.

Indeed, from its foundation up, the station is not intended to be simply a fancy replacement for the old Anaheim stop.

It serves Metrolink and the Surfliners in terms of passenger rail service, but it's true purpose is for HSR (and its been advertised as such, including as press for CAHSRA to claim that the "first station is already built and open!") As big and relatively grandiose as it may seem now, I imagine that as HSR develops it'll soon be dwarfed by much bigger and spectacular stations along the route. And in that vein, in 20 years even this new facility may actually be on the small side as it becomes a preferred method of getting to and from Disneyland via HSR.

You'd think they would take a hint and build overhead monorail. It seems like I've seen something similar to that somewhere in Anaheim before.
About three times the expense if I'm not mistaken.
If not more...

The 2.7 mile Atlanta Streetcar Project currently testing (opening soon?!?!) has a 90 million dollar price tag. It runs surface level in mixed traffic.

The 2.3 mile Las Vegas Monorail Phase II Extension to Downtown was proposed at $400 million.

(information for both from Wikipedia pages).

I do agree a monorail system would probably be the best choice. If Disney would let the station be built on their property (above the current shuttle loading zone perhaps?) it would save much of the cost since Anaheim is planning on tearing down a hotel and restaurant for the Disneyland light rail station.

About three times the expense if I'm not mistaken.
If not more...

The 2.7 mile Atlanta Streetcar Project currently testing (opening soon?!?!) has a 90 million dollar price tag. It runs surface level in mixed traffic.

The 2.3 mile Las Vegas Monorail Phase II Extension to Downtown was proposed at $400 million.

I do agree a monorail system would probably be the best choice. If Disney would let the station be built on their property (above the current shuttle loading zone perhaps?) it would save much of the cost since Anaheim is planning on tearing down a hotel and restaurant for the Disneyland light rail station.

This morning there was a warning notice on my windshield. Overnight transit riders need to register their cars with security and are not allowed to park in Lot A.

I think I'll start using Irvine.

Having not had to make the trip to Los Angeles the last 6 weeks or so, I again took my usual LA trip this weekend. I decided to try the new Anaheim Station once again. Force of habit.

Obeying the notice I was given back in January I proceeded to Lot B to park. It is a very small lot. There were no open spaces, fortunately someone pulled out while I was cruising the lot and I nabbed that spot. I then dutifully called station security to register my car for overnight parking. A guy came out on a bike. I filled out the form giving them my name, address, phone number, and vehicle info. The guy noted that I would be a frequent overnight parker, he then took a photo of my ticket.

When I arrived at Anaheim this morning, there was a notice of violation ticket on my window. I was accused of overnight parking without registration and notified that the description of my vehicle was going on my permanent record!

I guess I'll be using Irvine from now on.

How is this going to work once the bullet train makes it to Anaheim? Tiny parking lots that discourage overnight parking doesn't seem conducive to having people use the train to get to San Francisco.

If not more...

I know this is an old thread that has just been resurrected, but does anyone know which hotel and restaurant will be torn down for the trolley station? As for the restaurant, I hope its not Denny's. They're one of the few places left with reasonably priced meals, even if that particular site is pretty old.

Back