New Brunswick/Jersey Ave. stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakCrescent20

Service Attendant
Just a quick question: are the New Brunswick and Jersey Ave. NJT stations and the areas around them safe to railfan?

Thanks

I would think that New Brunswick is pretty safe, since it's right opposite the Hospital. I can't speak to Jersey Avenue, as far as safety, but I can tell you that there is really no good reason to railfan there anyhow.

Jersey Avenue is an odd station, that is actually off the mainline, or at least the inbound station is off the mainline. Trains have to originate at Jersey Ave off the main and then pull into the main across all 4 tracks to reach NYP. Outbound trains can stop at a platform right on the NEC, but still I'm not so sure that views of the NEC are the best from the Jersey Ave station.

If you plan to railfan the NEC, and want to see trains at speed, then I would recommend either New Brunswick or Princeton Junction. Either is a far better alternative to Jersey Ave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that New Brunswick is pretty safe, since it's right opposite the Hospital. I can't speak to Jersey Avenue, as far as safety, but I can tell you that there is really no good reason to railfan there anyhow.
Jersey Avenue is an odd station, that is actually off the mainline, or at least the inbound station is off the mainline. Trains have to originate at Jersey Ave off the main and then pull into the main across all 4 tracks to reach NYP. Outbound trains can stop at a platform right on the NEC, but still I'm not so sure that views of the NEC are the best from the Jersey Ave station.

If you plan to railfan the NEC, and want to see trains at speed, then I would recommend either New Brunswick or Princeton Junction. Either is a far better alternative to Jersey Ave.
Yeah, the only reason I asked about Jersey Avenue is because the NEC platform is low level, so it wouldn't obstruct my pictures.

Jersey Avenue, on a weekday is patrolled frequently being a park/ride lot. The best time would be on holidays or weekends as its not in use and you will be the only one there.

Some trains still end up at Jersey Avenue and use the station off the mainline. For convenience some southbound Trenton trains make the stop at the mainline station located across the parking lot. There is not, however, any platform on the northbound side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back