New Buffalo Michigan - New Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Does anyone have any update on the new station being built in New Buffalo, Michigan? It was supposed to be ready spring/summer 2008 after a delay in obtaining permits. Trains 370/371 are supposed to stop making stops in NBM and I understand the Wolverine/Blue Water trains are to then be stopping in NB. Any updates would be great!

I guess I'll answer my own question - interestingly I came across this article today which covers just what I was looking for. Thought I'd post it in case anyone else was interested in this.

3/20/2008 1:50:00 PM

Amtrak Deal Goes Off The Rails

City Council objects to 'unfair' conditions

By Ray Gudas

News associate editor

NEW BUFFALO - Demands by Amtrak officials appear to have derailed plans to bring high-speed rail service to the city, at least for the foreseeable future.

During the March 18 meeting of the New Buffalo City Council, City Attorney Harold Schuitmaker explained that, while considerable progress has been made during lease negotiations with Amtrak over the last six months, the publicly funded company continues to insist on several provisions that are, in the words of Mayor Bob Westergren, "deal breakers" as far as the city is concerned.

Perhaps chief among these is that Amtrak wants the city to assume legal responsibility for, as Schuitmaker phrased it, "anything that happens in the vicinity of the station" - including, he said, injuries that might be caused by a train derailment, however unlikely that may be.

The attorney characterized that requirement as both "unfair" and "stupid."

Amtrak also wants the city to maintain and service the new train platform that would be built along Oselka Drive adjacent to Whittaker Street. By the company's definition, that would include paying for and staffing a passenger-screening facility should that ever become a requirement, as it is at the nation's airports.

Schuitmaker said that was "too big of an unknown" for the city to blindly agree to, and he recommended against it.

"They want us to assume all the liability without any consideration in return," he said.

The attorney stopped short of suggesting that the city give up on the effort, though he did offer the opinion that the last meeting he had with Amtrak officials was "a waste of time."

"They weren't prepared to do anything," he said.

Westergren reported that developer Jimmy Gierczyk told him during a phone conversation that very day that he is still committed to doing whatever he can to make the Amtrak stop a reality, even though he would not be involved in its construction.

Illinois-based Carlson Brothers Construction, which purchased Gierczyk's Fountain Square project last year, agreed to build the rail platform as part of the terms of that deal, though there has been no activity at the site for many months.

Last fall, representatives of Carlson Brothers told the City Council that they expected to resume the Fountain Square project in February.

By the company's definition, that would include paying for and staffing a passenger-screening facility should that ever become a requirement, as it is at the nation's airports.
Anyone else bothered by that part of the article?

I am. After the airlines went down that path and I was victimized by it, I decided never to jump through their stupid (and not effective) security measures again if I could help it...so I started looking into amtrak.

Though atleast, except for the step towards big brother, this station will end up successfully built, unlike so many other transportation ventures that failed due to local government stupidity, namely the Rochester->Toronto ferry.

should that ever become a requirement
The words should ever being the main words. My guess is, this station will have an area off to one side where the feds COULD quickly put a screening area if one was mandated. Odds are, they will just put in some snack machines and a newspaper rack and those coin-operated TV's in there. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back