New Carrollton, MD slated for big improvements

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The station is due for big improvements that'll better knit together Metro, Amtrak, and MARC. (Plus the eastern terminus of the future Purple Line.) The plan also envisions significant residential and commercial development. It won't benefit me, but I can envision many travelers getting off or boarding at New Carrollton instead of Union Station in downtown DC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/08/25/new-carrollton-metro-train-hall/ (paywall, but non-subscribers can read a limited number of articles for free)

Having family in Prince George's County, I am very familiar with New Carrollton's current station. I have used it for both Amtrak and Metro. Reading and seeing the plans for this my reaction is WOW! What a change and one that will be for the better. I probably shouldn't have been doing so, but. I have also gone up to the platforms to train watch. Quite an experience to be standing on the platform when an Acela comes whizzing through!

Back