new cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what, other than additional cost, prevents reclaiming the two prototype Viewliner Sleepers shells and refitting them with new modules and trucks, so that two more Viewliner Sleepers become available in relatively short order. Specially if they plan to convert the CONO to single level to release Superliners for other LD trains, they will get very tight on Sleeper availability all over again.
Did I miss something? I have not read anything about a City of New Orleans conversion to single level.
Nothing specific. It is one of about a dozen different scenarios that have been considered. Does not mean it will necessarily happen or not.
I take it then, that there is no present plan to add/replace Superliners (as there seems to be for Viewliners)?
There is a plan starting replacement after 2018 I believe. But afigg is the resident expert of such things and maybe he will chime in. It is all spelled out in the Fleet Plan re-published recently.
As I understand it the new bilevel corridor cars for California and the Midwest will free up a few Superliner coach cars (and a whole lot of Horizons, but that is a nother matter). But aside from that there are only plans, that are not financed yet and nothing is on order or close to being ordered.
Nothing beyond the corridor bi-levels is financed at present. However, two years back even those were not financed. So it is not unusual for something that is planned to be acquire post 2018 to not currently be financed. It is too far out for current financing concerns.

The immediate next things that will be ordered are the 40 Acela Business Class cars. That will probably follow with exercise of the Viewliner options, which is not financed yet either.

I wonder what, other than additional cost, prevents reclaiming the two prototype Viewliner Sleepers shells and refitting them with new modules and trucks, so that two more Viewliner Sleepers become available in relatively short order. Specially if they plan to convert the CONO to single level to release Superliners for other LD trains, they will get very tight on Sleeper availability all over again.
If they converted the CONO to single-level they would also have to convert the TE and SL. Another option would be to make combo single-/double-deck trains which I have mentioned. This will probably happen with the CL. It could be interesting especially with the Horizons freed up by new corridor cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they converted the CONo to single-level they would also have to convert the TE and SL. Another option would be to make combo single-/double-deck trains which I have mentioned. This will probably happen with the CL. It could be interesting especially with the Horizons freed up by new corridor cars.
The run through of consists between the City of New Orleans and the Texas Eagle does not have to happen. A single-level CONO and a Superliner TE could simply operate as separate trains.

If they converted the CONO to single-level they would also have to convert the TE and SL. Another option would be to make combo single-/double-deck trains which I have mentioned. This will probably happen with the CL. It could be interesting especially with the Horizons freed up by new corridor cars.
The run through of consists between the City of New Orleans and the Texas Eagle does not have to happen. A single-level CONO and a Superliner TE could simply operate as separate trains.
If they converted the CONO to single-level they would also have to convert the TE and SL.
Why so? Nothing says the current rotation system has to stay that way.
Somebody else told me that. No to point a finger, but I think it was Dave.

Well those trains do currently run through. Which is why Trogdor noted that converting the City over to single only frees up 2 Superliner sets, as the third set will still be needed by the Eagle. Unless of course it's converted to single level. But that is very, very unlikely. Far too many complications with that one.

And of course we then come right back to the fact that Amtrak, unless its able to exercise some of the Viewliner options in the contract, won't have enough sleepers & dinners to convert the City to single level, much less the Eagle. And Amtrak has no extra Amfleet II long distance coaches to use on those trains at all, unless it pulls all of the cars off the Palmetto, Maple Leaf, Pennsy, & the Adirondack. Or finds still more money to order Viewliner coaches, which is what they really should have on the LD's anyhow. The AMF II's were actually designed with the Leaf, Adirondack, and similar trains in mind. They were never intended to be the coaches used on the overnight LD's originally.

Did I miss something? I have not read anything about a City of New Orleans conversion to single level.
Nothing specific. It is one of about a dozen different scenarios that have been considered. Does not mean it will necessarily happen or not.
I take it then, that there is no present plan to add/replace Superliners (as there seems to be for Viewliners)?
There is a plan starting replacement after 2018 I believe. But afigg is the resident expert of such things and maybe he will chime in. It is all spelled out in the Fleet Plan re-published recently.
As I understand it the new bilevel corridor cars for California and the Midwest will free up a few Superliner coach cars (and a whole lot of Horizons, but that is a nother matter). But aside from that there are only plans, that are not financed yet and nothing is on order or close to being ordered.
Nothing beyond the corridor bi-levels is financed at present. However, two years back even those were not financed. So it is not unusual for something that is planned to be acquire post 2018 to not currently be financed. It is too far out for current financing concerns.

The immediate next things that will be ordered are the 40 Acela Business Class cars. That will probably follow with exercise of the Viewliner options, which is not financed yet either.
I didn't mean to imply that this was unusual in any way - just that as long as it isn't financed it is far from in the bag, and a lot will depend on the Congress elected this fall.

That said the current Amtrak leadership has been quite efficient in getting their planned new equipment financed, even if it has been a bit ad hoc and from year to year. I doubt though that it will be possible to continue the game of overbudgeting the operation loss and and then using the extra funds for car orders for much longer. With both single and bilevel renewal in need in the next few years this will take a fight in a Congress that at least currently is able to pass very little...

That said the current Amtrak leadership has been quite efficient in getting their planned new equipment financed, even if it has been a bit ad hoc and from year to year. I doubt though that it will be possible to continue the game of overbudgeting the operation loss and and then using the extra funds for car orders for much longer. With both single and bilevel renewal in need in the next few years this will take a fight in a Congress that at least currently is able to pass very little...
Of course there will be several elections in the meantime changing the complexion of the august bodies in ways that may be good or abd for the plan too.

Specifically for NEC fleet replacement they may be able to pull off some alternative schemes. For the LD less likely so.

Last edited by a moderator:
No mention of the Amtrak project on the C.A.F. websites.

Do we have a contractor for the new BiLevels out yet? or is it still in the RFP phase? A friend of mine who is an Engineer (not driver) for CSX got to look over some plans for a BiLevel Car that Bombardier is working on and they look very similar to what Amtrak has proposed for the new corridor cars.

peter

Do we have a contractor for the new BiLevels out yet? or is it still in the RFP phase? A friend of mine who is an Engineer (not driver) for CSX got to look over some plans for a BiLevel Car that Bombardier is working on and they look very similar to what Amtrak has proposed for the new corridor cars.
The order for the corridor bi-levels should still be in the bid and negotiation process. The schedule that was posted last spring projected the contract award in the fall.

The bi-level plans should look similar. The cars have to meet the PRIIA Next Generation Bi-level car specifications. Checking the AASHTO specification page, Request for Information were due to be returned by July 20 for the Next Gen diesel locomotive. So the order process for the diesels has started as well.

No mention of the Amtrak project on the C.A.F. websites.
Yes, there is. You can see the Viewliner II order on CAF's website here: http://www.caf.es/ingles/productos/proyecto.php?cod=10&id=656&sec=desc

I'll copy the text below:

AMTRAK VIEWLINER 2
General Description

The Supply of 130 cars to provide long distance services for the American operator AMTRAK. The project includes 4 different types of cars: 25 sleepers, 25 dining cars, 55 baggage cars and 25 bedroom cars (which combine bed and baggage). These cars will replace and complement the existing fleet, providing a more modern long distance passenger service. Passengers shall be able to enjoy updated equipment such as improved lighting, air conditioning, bicycle stowing frames and access for handicapped persons. The trains are being built at CAF’s premises in Elmira, in the State of New York. Delivery is scheduled between 2012 and 2014.
I'll admit that the Viewliner II order is difficult to find, but here's how:

CAF Homepage -> Products and Projects -> Regional Trains -> Cars -> Other Projects -> AMTRAK Viewliner 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back