New Dining Car Menu In Effect This Week

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Below is the new Dining Car menu will go into effect this week. There will be three cycles and each cycle will have items that vary on a two-day basis. So now one can do a round trip on one route or multiple trips without being stuck with the same menu. I think this is better than each train having a separate menu, as there is a lot more to choose from, plus it offers more items for vegetarians and those watching their diet.

FROM APRIL 1-SEPT 30, 2003:CYCLE 1 MENU APPLIES TO TRAINS 1, 4, 19, 22, 48, 50, 58, 91, 98, 421 (SAS-LAX), 422 (SAS-CHI), 448 (CHI-ALB)

CYCLE 2 MENU APPLIES TO TRAINS 2, 6, 7, 11, 20, 27 (CHI-SPK), 30, 49, 51, 59, 92, 97, 422 (LAX-SAS), 449 (ALB-CHI)

CYCLE 3 MENU APPLIES TO TRAINS 3, 5, 8, 14, 21, 28 (SPK-CHI), 421 (CHI-SAS)

SYMBOLS:

(ALL) - ALL CYCLES

(1) - CYCLE 1 MENU

(2) - CYCLE 2 MENU

(3) - CYCLE 3 MENU

BREAKFAST:

(ALL) - INCLUDES COFFEE, TEA OR MILK AND JUICE (ORANGE, APPLE OR CRANBERRY)

(ALL) - 2 EGGS ANY STYLE, POTATOES OR GRITS, AND CROISSANT OR BISCUIT $6.00

(1) - THREE-CHEESE QUICHE, POTATOES OR GRITS, AND CROISSANT OR BISCUIT $7.00

(2) - VEGETABLE FRITTATA, POTATOES OR GRITS, AND CROISSANT OR BISCUIT $7.00

(3) - FRORENTILE QUICHE, POTATOES OR GRITS, AND CROISSANT OR BISCUIT $7.00

(ALL) - FRENCH TOAST WITH SYRUP OR STRAWBERRY TOPPING $6.50

(ALL) - PANCAKES WITH SYRUP OR STRAWBERRY TOPPING $6.50

(ALL) - CEREAL (COLD OR OATMEAL), FRUIT, YOGURT, AND CROISSANT OR BISCUIT $5.75

(ALL) - ADD MEAT: BACON, SAUSAGE PATTIES OR TURKEY SAUSAGE LINKS $2.25

LUNCH:

(ALL) - INCLUDES COFFEE, TEA OR MILK

(ALL) - HAMBURGER, CHIPS, PICKLE SPEAR, COLESLAW $7.25

ADD CHEDDAR OR SWISS CHEESE: $0.50, ADD BACON: $1.50

(ALL) - GARDENBURGER W OR W/O CHEESE, CHIPS, PICKLE SPEAR, COLESLAW $6.75

(ALL) - GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST SANDWICH W OR W/O CHEESE, CHIPS, PICKLE SPEAR, COLESLAW $7.00

(1) - 3 CHEESE QUICHE, TOSSED SALAD, ROLL $7.00

(2) - VEGETABLE FRITTATA, TOSSED SALAD, ROLL $7.00

(3) - FLORENTINE QUICHE, TOSSED SALAD, ROLL $7.00

(ALL) - ENTREE SIZED FIELD GREEN SALAD, TOMATO, OLIVE SPREAD, GREEN OLIVES, HARD COOKED EGG, WHITE ASPARAGUS SPEARS, TOASTED CROUTONS $5.00

(1) ADD CHICKEN BREAST, SLICED, GRILLED $2.50

(2) ADD SALMON FILLET, WARMED OR COLD $2.50

(3) ADD CHICKEN BREAST, SW SEASONED, SLICED $2.50

(1) - TURKET AND SWISS CHEESE SANDWICH, SOURDOUGH BREAD, LETTUCE, TOMATO, CHIPS, COLESLAW $7.50

(2) - CORNED BEEF AND SWISS CHEESE SANDWICH, SOURDOUGH BREAD, LETTUCE, TOMATO, CHIPS, COLESLAW $7.50

(3) - HAM AND SWISS CHEESE SANDWICH, SOURDOUGH BREAD, LETTUCE, TOMATO, CHIPS, COLESLAW $7.50

(1) - BEEF POT PIE, TOSSED SALAD, ROLL $7.25

(2) - BEEF CHILI, TOSSED SALAD, ROLL $7.25

(3) - CHILI, TOSSED SALAD, ROLL (W OR W/O BEANO) $7.25

DINNER:

(ALL) INCLUDED: COFFEE, TEA, OR MILK; MIXED GREEN SALAD, ROLL

(1) INCLUDED (CHOOSE 2): ROASTED CORN BLEND, PETITE GREEN BEANS (1ST NIGHT), BROCCOLI SPEARS (2ND NIGHT), BAKED POTATO, MASHED POTATO, RICE PILAF

(2) INCLUDED (CHOOSE 2): ROASTED CORN BLEND, BIAS CUT CARROTS (1ST NIGHT), BROCCOLI SPEARS (2ND NIGHT), BAKED POTATO, MASHED POTATO, RICE PILAF

(3) INCLUDED (CHOOSE 2): ROASTED CORN BLEND, ITALIAN GREEN BEANS (1ST NIGHT), BROCCOLI SPEARS (2ND NIGHT), BAKED POTATO, MASHED POTATO, RICE PILAF

BEEF ENTREE (CAN BE BLACKENED) $18.50

(1) BEEF TENDERLOIN

(2) STRIP STEAK

(3) DELMONICA STEAK

POULTRY ENTREE $12.50

(1) CHICKEN THIGHS, ORIENTAL STYLE

(2) CHICKEN PROVENCAL

(3) ROAST CORNISH GAME HEN

SEAFOOD ENTREE $15.50

(1) SALMON FILLET RUBBED WITH LEMON PEPPER

(2) CATFISH, SEARED

(3) SEAFOOD BROCHETTE (SHRIMP/SCALLOPS/SWORDFISH/VEG)

MISC ENTREE $16.00

(1) PORK MEDALLIONS, GRILLED

(2) VEAL CHOP, GRILLED

(3) TURKEY TENDERLOINS, GRILLED, WRAPPED IN BACON

VEGETARIAN ENTREE $9.00

(1) PASTA PRIMAVERA

(2) BAKED MANICOTTI

(3) RAVIOLI PRIMAVERA

FIRST NIGHT SPECIAL: $11.00

(1) SHORT RIBS OF BEEF

(2) MEAT LOAF

(3) STUFFED PEPPERS

SECOND NIGHT SPECIAL: $11.00

(1) CHICKEN BREAST, STUFFED, APPLE/ALMONDS

(2) CHICKEN BREAST, STUFFED, PROSCIUTTO/CHEESE

(3) CHICKEN BREAST, STUFFED, BRIE CHEESE/APPLE

DESERTS:

(ALL) ICE CREAM $1.75

(1) APPLE PIE $3.25

(2) KEY LIME PIE $3.25

(3) LEMON SHORTBREAD $3.25

(ALL) CHEESECAKE $3.75

(1) CHOCOLATE PYRAMID $4.00

(2) CHOCOLATE BOMBE $4.00

(3) CHOCOLATE BUNDT $4.00

Interesting Variety, looks like I just missed it. I think thats a good system of meals. I didn't mind the Standardized Menu the one time, but its nice to see a change.

Mmmm...The new menus sound great. I'm really looking forward to my trip home this summer. :) I just wish Amtrak would bring back the delicious biscuits and gravy that used to be on the Empire Builder breakfast menu.

The only minor issue I have with the new menu as a vegetarian is that the choices for breakfast and lunch are the same with one exception. Other than that everything else seems fine.

tp49 said:
The only minor issue I have with the new menu as a vegetarian is that the choices for breakfast and lunch are the same with one exception. Other than that everything else seems fine.
Not necessarily. Can't you order eggs, pancakes, or french toast without the sausage or bacon? Also there is a continental breakfast with cereal, friut, and yogurt. For lunch there are three vegitarian entrees; Gardenburger, Quiche, and a Garden Salad. However, I would find eating off this menu hard if you do not eat dairy products as well. :)

I stand corrected as I was only looking at the 3 cheese quiche, vegetable frittata and quiche florentine. You are right about the salad. The dairy thing is of no concern to me, I love my cheese and ice cream, just not together :)

Mmmmm...this does sound good. Especially to me, since I will probably be sick of it all by the end of the summer...LOL.

Well I'm looking forward to it, now I will have a brand new menuto sample, and I guarantee you I will eat EVERY meal on cycles 1 and 2. This is also good so that people will have a different menu on most of their journeys, and in each direction. I LOVE IT!

Besides everything what would everyone order for breakfast, lunch and, dinner off the menu? Mine would be:

Breakfast - Three-Cheese Quiche with potatoes, a croissant, glass of OJ, and a cup of coffee.

Lunch - Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwhich with cheese and bacon and iced tea. For dessert I would go with the Apple Pie with ice cream.

Dinner - Lemon Pepper Salmon with a baked potato, green beans, iced tea. For dessert I would go with one of the chocolate desserts with ice cream.

Yeah, sure this is a heart attack waiting to happen, but there's nothing like a meal(s) in the Diner! B)

I'm definitely looking forward to the chicken sandwich, it looks like it would be good eatin.

Amfleet said:
Besides everything what would everyone order for breakfast, lunch and, dinner off the menu?
Are you sure we can't order everything? Oh, man, make it tough, why don't 'cha?

Breakfast: Three-cheese Quiche with the potatoes, croissant, and a side of bacon. Coffee to drink

Lunch: Hamburger with cheese and bacon, and probably a Sierra Mist (or whatever lemon-lime soda) to drink.

Dinner: Beef tenderloin with baked potato and the roasted corn blend. A glass of red wine to drink. Dessert would be either the Key Lime pie or the Cheesecake.

OK, now I'm really hungry! :p

I wonder if any of these changes will affect the menu on Auto Train. Since Auto

Train is usually exclusive menu, service, and on time wise, I don't know whether these changes will trickle down to them or not.

battalion51 said:
I wonder if any of these changes will affect the menu on Auto Train. Since Auto Train is usually exclusive menu, service, and on time wise, I don't know whether these changes will trickle down to them or not.
Well I'll let you know when I ride the AT this coming May. :)

Amtrak has now posted their new menus on line. You can view the actual scanned menus here.

Please note, you need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to view the above menus. Click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader if you don't have it.

A very interesting, but good note was placed at the bottom of each menu page:

If you paid by cash, credit card, or traveler's check and did not receive a receipt, your meal is complimentary.
I'm not sure if this has been before, but it certainly seems to be part of Gunn's new "Satisfaction Garanteed".

Amfleet said:
If you paid by cash, credit card, or traveler's check and did not receive a receipt, your meal is complimentary.
I'm not sure if this has been before, but it certainly seems to be part of Gunn's new "Satisfaction Garanteed".
I didn't notice that when I was looking at the menus. Good pickup.

I can tell you that is certainly a new policy. I watched many people pay by cash and never ever get a receipt. Of course if you paid by credit card then you always got a receipt, as they have to give you a copy of the charge.

Amfleet said:
When I rode the Empire Builder during Christmas Break, I remember getting a receipt that was attached to the bottom of the coach meal ticket. I seem to recall seeing a similar statement on the back of the old menu, but I can't remember for sure.

Anyone still have the link that was posted a while back which had scans of the old national menu that was in effect before the new three-cycle menus were put into use?

A HUGE IMPROVEMENT! The chips have been added back with the Cheeseburger. During my two trips on the California Zephyr, the Cheeseburge was served without chips, and the plate looked barren.

I like the variety also. :D

Long over due.....the dining experience is one of the really serious highlights of train travel......something buses and planes can't even get to page one on.

I found a copy of the real menu, prices descriptions and all on Amtrak's website. Here is the menus, they are in cycle sequential order.

Viewliner said:
Thanks for the link, but I believe most of us knew of it as it was in the Amtrak Press release.
Not to mention the fact that I had already linked to that very same page on Amtrak's website, back on page 1 of this topic. :) :D :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back