New Dining Car Menu In Effect This Week

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We just returned after a great trip on CZ. The new menu looks (and is) great and I got extra 6 pounds because of it. However, I am badly missing the "Amtrak Special" dessert for $4.00

Perhaps the American public did not like it so much - but it was a 100% authentic replica of a famous Hungarian "Somloi Galuska". I am Hungarian, and "Somloi" is my favourite since I was a kid. It was not a single Amtrak route I did not order it. Some people suspect, I upgrade myself to sleeper all the time just to get that "Somloi" made by Amtrak for free. Now it is gone.

:(

You mentioned gaining six pounds. A long time ago I took a trip for three weeks as follows: Chattanooga,Chicago,Seattle,Portland,Sf,LA,CHi-Chattanooga and gained a temporary15 pounds!!!!

I'm not trying to be your nutritionist here, but there is a way to still enjoy meals in the diner without gaining the pounds. For breakfast just have some fruit, yogurt, and a croissant; for lunch and dinner order any item, but only eat half and try to skip the rice, potatoes, and bread. Only have one dessert a day and only eat half of it. Also drink plenty of water, don't snack, and take walks up and down the train every hour or so to stretch your muscles and get some excersise. If you are on a long trip on many routes, then treating your self to one or two full meals in the diner won't hurt!

I appreciate your Advice, Amffeet. My feeling is that I only get to ride the train 1-2 times a year, so I feel it's ok, to be a little bad (Have a soda each meal [except breakfast] and one during the day, and get that dessert, filet [dinner] with potatoes, etc. Still, since I only eat 4 meals per ride (on the Silver Meteor), I don't gain much if any weight.

If I were to take the same three week trip today, vast difference in age, and what I have learned about nutrition, I would be much healthier about it. But as Viewliner says, it is ok, I think , to be a little bad on the train since I am only on it a few times a year. If I traveled frequently,like on the corrider, I would be quite careful. My gain was temporary....a few days back to normal most of that went away.

Keep in mind that back then,(about 1963,I think) it was pretty much either a full meal in the diner or nothing...lounge cars did not(usually) have a popcorn, an apple etc for lighter fare.

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
I wonder if any of these changes will affect the menu on Auto Train. Since Auto Train is usually exclusive menu, service, and on time wise, I don't know whether these changes will trickle down to them or not.
Well I'll let you know when I ride the AT this coming May. :)
Just as an FYI, the new National menus are not in effect on the Auto Train. The AT continues to have its own unique menu, which changes seasonally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back