New Gulf Coast Amtrak service (New Orleans - Mobile and Baton Rouge)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the GM&O station, actually M&O for many years prior to merger of the GM&N + M&O, that is Mobile and Ohio, is a beautiful building it was built facing south as a terminal station for lines to the north. Understanding that and looking at the current railroad lines in Mobile, it is most unfortunately not well positioned for the Mobile to New Orleans service, much as I would love to see it being reused as a Passenger train station. (Best I recall, the last passenger train out of there was about 1953.)
Do they actually have a site picked for the Mobile station? If they are setting a start date of January 2024 seems they must have something definite planned. Takes time to build a proper station.

Do they actually have a site picked for the Mobile station? If they are setting a start date of January 2024 seems they must have something definite planned. Takes time to build a proper station.
It’s the site of the old station, right next to the convention center in downtown Mobile. It’s not a bad location and it’s easy access from I-10.

It’s the site of the old station, right next to the convention center in downtown Mobile. It’s not a bad location and it’s easy access from I-10.
Thanks, that does seem like a logical spot. It looks like the remains of the old platform are still visible in this screenshot - between tracks and parked cars? Convention center at top of screen.

Attachments

• 1693841302850.png
    1693841302850.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 1
Now I'm all confusified as to its location. If by the ". . .old station. . ." do you mean the GM&O Station (now the Wave Transportation System and ¾ mile NW from the convention center)?

Or was there another old station in the location shown by Palmland?

Last edited:
Now I'm all confusified as to its location. If by the ". . .old station. . ." do you mean the GM&O Station (now the Wave Transportation System and ¾ mile NW from the convention center)?

Or was there another old station in the location shown by Palmland?
Mobile Amtrak (ex-L&N) station.

Thanks, that does seem like a logical spot. It looks like the remains of the old platform are still visible in this screenshot - between tracks and parked cars? Convention center at top of screen.
Yes that’s the location. The platform needs some work but it’s still there.

So if the start date for service in Jan 2024, there's 3 to 4 months to create some sort of a station in that parking lot. With all the ADA requirements my guess is that a Jan 2024 start date is a pipe dream unless an Amshack is all that's actually needed.

With all the ADA requirements my guess is that a Jan 2024 start date is a pipe dream unless an Amshack is all that's actually needed.
Probably true. But I wonder if a temporary arrangement could be made to use the GM&O station- Transit Center (less then 5 min) as the ‘station’ and use a shuttle to take passengers train side. Perhaps only repaving old platform and provide wheelchair lift would be necessary.

1693921653817.jpeg

Probably true. But I wonder if a temporary arrangement could be made to use the GM&O station- Transit Center (less then 5 min) as the ‘station’ and use a shuttle to take passengers train side. Perhaps only repaving old platform and provide wheelchair lift would be necessary.

View attachment 33749
Maybe, seeing the old Sunset route was never officially discontinued, but was just suspended, they can somehow worm out of some of the time-consuming approvals and red tape?

What arrangements are being made to compensate for the loss of the 1800' storage siding used for two previous NOL/MOB Amtrak trains that CSX tore up, unannounced, in 2018? Curious that the tear-up was done less than two years after the Amtrak/Thad Cochran Coast PR train in 2016. Kinda Smelly :mad:

So if the start date for service in Jan 2024, there's 3 to 4 months to create some sort of a station in that parking lot. With all the ADA requirements my guess is that a Jan 2024 start date is a pipe dream unless an Amshack is all that's actually needed.

There might be a solution to these ADA delays. Why not require whoever is financing / planning to build a station to put the full cost amount in escrow. Then service to the station location could begin. That escrow would be nonrefundable unless train no longer stops due to train operations. The funds need to be deposited before any service to that station starts. Then the station building can be completed in a reasonable time depending on complexity.

This way a new train can begin as sooner as the other route items are finished. Maybe even what RR improvements for the services needed can be instituted as well to speed up start of service? That is what is happening on the 2nd train CHI <> MSP on the CP RR.

quote: "[state and federal contributions] will build a new bridge over the Bonnet Carre Spillway, improve crossings, and allow the train to run at 90 miles an hour".

... but I doubt that can be done in the next 18 months :)
All depends. 1
1. Is the replacement going to be on the exact footprint as the present bridge?
a. If with bridge remaining in service then that will be by definition slow.
b. If a detour can be arranged to use the close by CN bridge then replacement can be fairly fast.
2. If a different footprint is used replacement can even be quicker. Some equipment can use present tressel to work on the new crossing. Just has to move off bridge when trains are coming.

I notice that the new service will also serve New Orleans Airport (KMSY). Perhaps in the future there could be more frequent service between downtown and the airport perhaps with DMU's?
The old terminal at MSY was on the south side and very close to RR tracks. New terminal replacement for Katrina damage on north side which may be 2 - 3 miles from RR tracks.

Not surprising- no train until sometime in 2024. From Trains’ Newswire:
POINT CLEAR, Ala. —The launch of two daily Amtrak round trips between New Orleans and Mobile, Ala., depends on when design and construction of a pocket track at Mobile is completed and 3 miles of positive train control is installed through CSX’s Gentilly Yard east of New Orleans.

But that means service will not come until sometime in 2024 —

The facility at Mobile is to be located in what previously was the parking lot of the former station that was wiped out by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. … The new track will enable trains laying over for the return trip to New Orleans during the day or overnight to not block either of the two CSX main tracks, and must be completed before New Orleans-Mobile service begins. News Wire is awaiting word from CSX on a timeline for expected completion….
Though the work will continue through 2026, passenger trains can begin running as soon as the layover track is built at Mobile and PTC is installed through Gentilly Yard.

“All plans and partnerships are moving forward and must be in place for us to start service next year between Mobile and New Orleans,” says SRC Commission Chairman Knox Ross….

— Amtrak’s food and beverage team is seeking local vendors to supply cafe fare on the New Orleans-Mobile service

Regarding Baton Rouge

— Louisiana is providing $20.5 million toward the local match requirement for federal grants the state is pursuing to repair or replace the 10-mph Bonnet Carre spillway bridge. This would pave the way for New Orleans-Baton Rouge passenger rail service over CPKC’s former Kansas City Southern tracks.

— New Orleans’ Louis Armstrong International Airport is seeking federal Mega Grant funding for a peoplemover that would link the terminals to a parking lot and rail station located on the proposed Baton Rouge and current City of New Orleans routes

Last edited:
— Amtrak’s food and beverage team is seeking local vendors to supply cafe fare on the New Orleans-Mobile service
I am somewhat surprised that they have a need for that. I had thought that for such a relatively short route, they could easily supply the cafe at New Orleans for the round trip. Not sure how it was done there in the past version's of that train, or for other similar length routes around the country...🤔

Amtrak’s food and beverage team is seeking local vendors to supply cafe fare on the New Orleans-Mobile service

I am somewhat surprised that they have a need for that. I had thought that for such a relatively short route, they could easily supply the cafe at New Orleans for the round trip. Not sure how it was done there in the past version's of that train, or for other similar length routes around the country...🤔
Perhaps they want to add some region specific items to the menu. As was done with the Downeaster menu at one time (they used to have clam chowder)

Back