New guy, looking for help!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in eastern Iowa, and we are planning a trip to see Iowa in the Rose Bowl (If they make it, but they should be there). I don't enjoy flying (to put it mildly), and found out that I can take a train from Galesburg, IL to LA in 40 hours. That sounds like a winner to me. I guess it is called the Southwest Chief.

I've never been on a train but have alway been interested in taking a train trip. I have many questions, but mainly would like anyone's opinion on the matter. My wife and friends (who are going but want to fly) think I'm crazy. Am I? Also, is it really uncomfortable to go that far in coach class? I'll be blowing enough $$$ in Pasadena, so I can take some discomfort. Can one take a shower on the train (I hope that's not a dumb question)? Is the scenery pretty out west, seen from this particular train? Can I count on this train to be reasonably punctual?

I think a train ride would be a blast, but maybe I just think that compared to a plane.

Any opinions would be very welcome! Thanks!

CoachH,

As I am also an eastern Iowan, I would remind you that you could also pick up the Southwest Chief in Fort Madison. Maybe where you are in eastern Iowa, though, you would actually be closer to Galesburg.

Personally, two days in coach would be more than I would desire unless it was really necessary. Showers are only available to those passengers in sleeping cars. Coach cars are much more comfortable than coach seating in airplanes. There's lots of legroom and the seats are wider. It's a lot easier to get up and walk around. While you're up, you can eat in the dining car or get snacks from the lounge car.

I have not ridden this particular train but have visited areas of the desert southwest through which it travels. It's very interesting scenery, especially if you have not been there before.

While I congratulate the Hawkeyes on a season more successful than I'm sure anyone would have imagined, I will only remind you that their one blemish came from my 'Clones!!! :lol:

seajay

Go to the Amtrak web site and click on the Rail Sale.

Those are the cheapest fares, by far!

Good Luck!

There are two coach seats on each side of the isle on the train you are considering, and as seajay says, they are much larger with more leg room than anything you will find in the air. The seats also recline back much more than anything I've seen on domestic flights in any class. You get lots more room than you get with a first class air ticket. The freedom to get up and walk around whenever you want (there are no seat belts) is a vast improvement over air travel. If you get two coach seats next to each other, you can make a rather comfortable bed out of them, but I do not know of a way to assure yourself of this kind of luxury when making reservations.

Taking the sleeper car is, of course, the ultimate, but it is not cheap, and you need to plan in advance to get a room. A "standard bedroom" holds two people in separate beds. For the distance you are going, the standard sleeper room would cost about as much as a full fare, no restrictions coach seat in the air, which is just about as expensive as a domestic first class air ticket these days. If you have a second traveler sharing the standard bedroom with you, that second traveler only needs to pay the coach fare to use the bedroom with you. Two people in a standard bedroom is often a realistic alternative to air travel prices for the distance you are going.

If it were me, and I was traveling alone while trying to save money, I would go ahead and get the coach ticket, and hope for an empty seat next to me. I do this all the time on trains in the western U.S., and have always been able to get an empty seat next to me except on the Thanksgiving and Xmas/New Years weekends. Trains in the eastern U.S. are more crowded. There are bathrooms (no showers) on the first floor of the coach car. Though some have signs restricting the practice, you can take a pretty good "bird bath" in them.

Coach H, you can buy a coach seat then once you are aboard ask the conductor if there are any sleepers available and you can upgrade through him for at least 20% off. Your meals will then be included. It's worth a try. Good luck.

I dont know how much time you have, but if you live in easter Iowa, you could catch the California Zephyr in Burlington, Mt. Pleasant, or Ottumwa (I think) and take the scenic route to LA via Sacramento. You would have to spen and extra night in Sacramento, but the ride throught the Rockies makes this idea a worthwhile thing to consider. You could always return from LA on the Chief to Fort Madison or Galesburg.

CoachH....the scenery is heavily desert...the suggestion above about going

one direction on the CZ is worth considering if you have the time. You might also consider the CZ(California Zephyr) for a future trip if you take this trip(Southwest Chief|) and enjoy the train. As everyone else has assured you, the seats on train coach are much roomier than anything you have seen on a plane (or bus). In fact the train is second only to a cruise ship in freedom to move, walk, around, esp. a long distance train like this, with its nice sightseer lounge car and diner.

You ask about punctuality,...I do not think it is too bad...others may have more info on that....but it is not one of the two or three really notorious for timekeeping. You should be ok. It's always been on time for me.

CoachH,

I think that most of your questions have already been answered. I will however add a couple of links to a few stories that have been written by people who have traveled this route, so that you can read about their experiences.

All the reports are published on Prodigy's On Track On Line. The first is a journey from Boston to LA, so you can skip the first part, and pick up his report from Chicago. You can find this report by clicking here.

The second report, located here, is from GSWAGER one of our members here. He doesn't quite make it to Chicago, but he does cover part of the route from LA to New Mexico.

The third report runs from Milwaukee to Albuquerque and back, and you can click here for that report.

I hope that maybe this helps to give you some idea of what to expect should you decide to take this trip. Also if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure that someone here probably knows the answer. :)

I thank you all for your suggestions. I believe we will take the train from Galesburg to LA for the Rose Bowl (Depart Galesburg 12/27, leave LA 1/02). Good idea by spot1181 to possibly upgrade once we get on (That way I'll see how Xmas treated me!). My wife will probably go with me on the train, as originally she talked about flying with the rest of our group. So it will be an adventure!! I know she's a little unsure about no showers for 2 days, but we'll survive. I am really looking forward to the game and the trip, and am hopeful this will be a positive experience for future travel (My flight experiences have not been positive).

Oh, and to seajay: OK you guys get bragging rights for another (!) year. But that might have been the best thing that could have happened to the Hawks, as it turns out. Hopefully both teams play lights out in their respective Bowl games!!

Anyway, thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!! (Like, are there coupons or anything? Woodenmike was right on with his railsale idea, unfortunately it says that my trip is filled in regards to rail sale and I'll have to book it normal. Carp!)

CoachH,

Actually I'm surprised that railsale would even be offering seats for those dates. That's peak travel time.

While the savings won't be huge, if you've got a AAA (Automobile Association of America) card, you can save 10% off your trip by plugging in the number on the reservation screen. You also save 10% if you book by phone with the AAA card.

Beyond that you probably won't see much else in the way of discounts.

CoachH said:
Oh, and to seajay: OK you guys get bragging rights for another (!) year.  But that might have been the best thing that could have happened to the Hawks, as it turns out.  Hopefully both teams play lights out in their respective Bowl games!!
CoachH, I'll just say I'm extremely glad ISU isn't playing the Hawks this weekend. I'd put Iowa up by about four touchdowns.

If your wife isn't happy about not having a shower available for a couple of days, this would be more incentive for you to attempt to upgrade to a sleeping compartment. A standard bedroom would fit the both of you but a deluxe bedroom would sure make the trip more enjoyable. Make sure to at least check it out when you get on the train.

One last note: I attended the Rose Bowl game Iowa played against Washington on New Year's Day 1982. (Okay, saying Iowa actually "played" in that game may be stretching it...) I also went to the Tournament of Roses Parade that morning. My advice: SKIP THE PARADE! If you think it's boring on television (and I think it is) it's REALLY boring in person. After a half an hour, all the floats begin to look the same! :lol:

Have a great trip. You'll have a blast!

Go Hawks!

Go 'CLONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seajay

CoachH, the thing about the shower may not necessarily be that important, in that you will not get very dirty on the train. This presupposes you step onto the train from your own home or from a hotel on return. Showers come in handy, though, if you have checked out of your hotel and have been sightseeing all day,for example, THEN step onto the train. So keep that in mind.

Steve4031 said:
I dont know how much time you have, but if you live in easter Iowa, you could catch the California Zephyr in Burlington, Mt. Pleasant, or Ottumwa (I think) and take the scenic route to LA via Sacramento. You would have to spen and extra night in Sacramento, but the ride throught the Rockies makes this idea a worthwhile thing to consider. You could always return from LA on the Chief to Fort Madison or Galesburg.
If I were going to do things via this route I would take the CZ to Emeryville (the end of the line) and spend the night there as there isn't too much going on in Sacramento and Emeryville gives one the option of spending that night in San Francisco.

TP's idea is better. I did this trip staying in Sacramento once because I did not want to stay over in Oakland. However, I remember several nice hotels near the richmond station or the Emeryvilles station. I dont remember which.

Steve4031 said:
TP's idea is better. I did this trip staying in Sacramento once because I did not want to stay over in Oakland. However, I remember several nice hotels near the richmond station or the Emeryvilles station. I dont remember which.
Those nice hotels you are referring to must be near the Emeryville station. The Richmond station is not exactly in a very nice neighborhood...

There are a number of nice hotels near the Emeryville station. Unless you're loaded down with luggage, they're easy to walk to. From experience, I know that some cabs at the station may not even take you if they don't feel it's worth the trip.

seajay

I'll echo what seajay said, there are many decent hotels within easy walking distance of the Emeryville station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back