New issue of Amtrak Ink

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was most interested in the short piece on the "civic conversations" they had in W.V. about stations on the Cardinal route. I hope the enthusiasm is building at the grassroots level. Soon perhaps we may have a daily Cardinal serving better stations. Now, if they can also tweak the food service and find a better route in and out of Chicago Union Station, this train will be on its way to better days! Let's see if they can make it happen!

Thanks for the link! :hi: Not a bad read for an employee newsletter.
Amtrak deserves KUDOS for all that they have done, and continue to do, in regards to getting more green. HOWEVER, they are missing one big point, one that everyone who eats in a LD diner has experienced:

• ONE-TIME-USE (read:"disposable") PLASTIC plates, bowels, and small plates. They've gone "green" on the clear drinking glasses in most cases. But really, I've got to believe they have the china plates, bowels, and small plates stored somewhere. Every Superliner Diner was built with magnificent dishwashers, and environmentally friendly automatic (commercial-grade) dish washing soap is readily available. So what's the hold up? My guess, labor.

But you can't have it both ways Amtrak, don't tout "GREEN" to the world, while at the same time you are buying and using (guess) hundreds of thousands of pounds of PLASTIC ware, and not even recycling that...........

Bring back the china, add a dishwasher, and make a new job-title "Chef's assistant/dishwasher"

If you are gonna "claim" GREEN, then "be" GREEN.

Thanks for the link! :hi: Not a bad read for an employee newsletter.
Amtrak deserves KUDOS for all that they have done, and continue to do, in regards to getting more green. HOWEVER, they are missing one big point, one that everyone who eats in a LD diner has experienced:

• ONE-TIME-USE (read:"disposable") PLASTIC plates, bowels, and small plates. They've gone "green" on the clear drinking glasses in most cases. But really, I've got to believe they have the china plates, bowels, and small plates stored somewhere. Every Superliner Diner was built with magnificent dishwashers, and environmentally friendly automatic (commercial-grade) dish washing soap is readily available. So what's the hold up? My guess, labor.

But you can't have it both ways Amtrak, don't tout "GREEN" to the world, while at the same time you are buying and using (guess) hundreds of thousands of pounds of PLASTIC ware, and not even recycling that...........

Bring back the china, add a dishwasher, and make a new job-title "Chef's assistant/dishwasher"

If you are gonna "claim" GREEN, then "be" GREEN.
You are correct, the issue is having to have a dishwasher on the OBS crew. There are china plates and assorted china ware stored in a warehouse, ready for use when needed. I would agree with the statement that if AmTrakmis going green, let's go all the way and not be "light green"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back