New member from northern California

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. New member here from northern California. Grew up in the Bay Area with Southern Pacific passenger trains of the 1960s being my gateway drug. I did work for Amtrak in a couple of roles related to the travel industry in years past. The main thing I'm hoping to get out of Amtrak Unlimited is advance word of detouring trains in the west (Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Empire Builder) on tracks not normally used by Amtrak.

Hi. New member here from northern California. Grew up in the Bay Area with Southern Pacific passenger trains of the 1960s being my gateway drug. I did work for Amtrak in a couple of roles related to the travel industry in years past. The main thing I'm hoping to get out of Amtrak Unlimited is advance word of detouring trains in the west (Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Empire Builder) on tracks not normally used by Amtrak.
Amtrak doesn't detour as much as they used to. Cancellations a la the airlines are more likely. During the fire-caused bridge work north of you I rode GL from Portland to Redding and then caught the Thruway from Redding through Chico to Sacramento. Trains 11/14 were just cancelled without even bustitution.

Back