new member in ft. worth

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi to you all,and thanks for being here. i took my first amtrak trip in early december.it was something my wife and i wanted to do for a long time. we went from ft. worth to miami,then on down to key largo with a rented car. we stayed there 5 days then bak to miami and flew home to ft. worth. man our arms were tired(couldn't resist that one lol) the best part of the trip was the train travel,so much so we are planning another trip sometime in june using a 15 day rail pass.if all goes as planned we will be on the texas eagle,soutwest chief,cali. zephyr,coast starlight empire builder, the city of new orleans,sunset limited and then bak on the texas limited home.by using this site and all your experience(s) i am anticipating a great trip. i will keep using your suggestions as i find them,and will be greatly appreciative of any and all suggestions that you may have.i am still hammering out my itinerary for now as well as questioning a 15 or 30 day rail pass.money for hotels is a bit of an issue so thats why i am leaning toward a 15 day pass. but i sure would like to add the cardinal and the crescent to my list.but enuff of that i just appreciatte you guys sharing your experience to benefit others. i have heard "sometimes you have to give it away to keep it" thanks!

Hi to you all,and thanks for being here. i took my first amtrak trip in early december.it was something my wife and i wanted to do for a long time. we went from ft. worth to miami,then on down to key largo with a rented car. we stayed there 5 days then bak to miami and flew home to ft. worth. man our arms were tired(couldn't resist that one lol) the best part of the trip was the train travel,so much so we are planning another trip sometime in june using a 15 day rail pass.if all goes as planned we will be on the texas eagle,soutwest chief,cali. zephyr,coast starlight empire builder, the city of new orleans,sunset limited and then bak on the texas limited home.by using this site and all your experience(s) i am anticipating a great trip. i will keep using your suggestions as i find them,and will be greatly appreciative of any and all suggestions that you may have.i am still hammering out my itinerary for now as well as questioning a 15 or 30 day rail pass.money for hotels is a bit of an issue so thats why i am leaning toward a 15 day pass. but i sure would like to add the cardinal and the crescent to my list.but enuff of that i just appreciatte you guys sharing your experience to benefit others. i have heard "sometimes you have to give it away to keep it" thanks!
Welcome, great to have another Texas member! I have used the rail pass many times, it's a deal when you are taking LD trips but since you plan to go in the summer and these are very popular trains be sure and book early as possible! 1 night in coach is not bad, 2 is pushing it on LD trains! There are lots of options such as youth hostels, planning your trains to travel as much @ night as possible to save $$ from hotels or using the hostels which are pretty good in most US cities! I dont quiet see how you could fit in the Eagle/the Sunset/The CS/The CZ/the CONO and the SWCon a 15 day pass, 30 would be more like it.(15 would not be possible for all these trains now that I check!)

Also sleepers can be very pricey on these trains in the summer ,especially the Cardinal, the EB and CZ and CS! There are plenty of people here very experienced in all these areas and trains, please read the trip reports, dont hesitate to ask questions, part of the fun is planning the trip! Also if you havent join AGR and get/use the AGR Master Card for points for free trips! It's worth it! One last question, what is the Texas Limited, havent been on that train yet? :)

If you want to ride the Cardinal and Crescent Id recommend that you take the Card CHI-CVS, then ride the Crescent CVS-NOL rather than the City of NOL, NOL has soome great hotel deals in the summer and you could ride the Sunset to SAS/then take the Eagle to FTW!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes jim you are right about the 15 day not being possible.also you'll probably never hear of the the texas limited again either because i meant the texas eagle. my bad. also i think i may be rushing into this thing with a little thought. i may just wait till next year to take my trip. i was trying to travel at the end of may and first of june for maximum daylight hours.thanks for your suggestions

yes jim you are right about the 15 day not being possible.also you'll probably never hear of the the texas limited again either because i meant the texas eagle. my bad. also i think i may be rushing into this thing with a little thought. i may just wait till next year to take my trip. i was trying to travel at the end of may and first of june for maximum daylight hours.thanks for your suggestions
I dont want to discourage you so perhaps if you broke this down into two different trips, 1 West/1 East since you would have 15 days/8 segments on one trip/ 15/8 on the second. Its a great time to go, warm weather, long days and youll beat the summer travel rush, especially on the Western trains! There are lots of ways to do these trips, well be glad to make suggestions, help etc. Ive made all these trips as have most of our long term members, Id say go west first/then east later on. Hope this helps, train travel is addictive and remember dont put off till tomorrow what you can do today for tomorrow sometimes doesnt come! :)

One last question, what is the Texas Limited, havent been on that train yet? :)
I'm surprised that you never heard of the Texas Limited! :rolleyes:

It is run by the State of Texas to run in the state capital city, and operates once a month on a (VERY) Limited schedule from one end of the platform at Austin to the other end of the platform at Austin! (BTW: It's train # 62046879376152!) :lol:

One last question, what is the Texas Limited, havent been on that train yet? :)
I'm surprised that you never heard of the Texas Limited! :rolleyes:

It is run by the State of Texas to run in the state capital city, and operates once a month on a (VERY) Limited schedule from one end of the platform at Austin to the other end of the platform at Austin! (BTW: It's train # 62046879376152!) :lol:
Thanks for the tip, I've booked a 1 zone/0 point loophole trip from AUS-AUS-AUS for tomorrow, ghost class!(get to spend the night @ the hobo hotel up the tracks towards MOPAC for no charge!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont want to discourage you so perhaps if you broke this down into two different trips, 1 West/1 East since you would have 15 days/8 segments on one trip/ 15/8 on the second. Its a great time to go, warm weather, long days and youll beat the summer travel rush, especially on the Western trains! There are lots of ways to do these trips, well be glad to make suggestions, help etc. Ive made all these trips as have most of our long term members, Id say go west first/then east later on. Hope this helps, train travel is addictive and remember dont put off till tomorrow what you can do today for tomorrow sometimes doesnt come! :)
Hey Jim that was my original plan starting out in fort worth and then traveling in the western region, if you don't mind looking at what i had planned originally and helping out with any suggestions i would appreciate it very much. I was going to start Fri. May 21st: 1.FTW to LAX (Texas Eagle)

2.LAX to CHI (Sthwst. Chief)

overnight in Chicago

3.CHI to EMY(Cali. Zephyr)

4.EMY to SEA(Coast Strlght.)

overnight in Seattle

5.SEA to CHI(Empire Bldr.)

6.CHI to NOL(City of N.Orlns.)

overnite in N.Orlns. 2 nights???

7.NOL to SAS(Sunset Lmtd.)

8.SAS to FTW(Tex. Eagle aka Tex. Lmtd. lol)

The problem I see is not being able to take the coast strlght. from LAX to EMY. The way I have it planned I will be leaving NOL on my 15th day of a 15 day pass, I'm not sure if I will have to pay for the SAS to FTW trip(not too worried about it, it's not much anyway).

I checked this trip 2 wks. ago and at that time I could get roomettes for each segment,although I just learned about bucket fairs so the price has probably gone up by now. I am more interested in spending most of my trip on the train leaving tracks instead of making them. I hope this wasn't to long of a reply, but any and all help/suggestions will be appreciated.I am already a member of AGR but any help on maximizing my pionts will also be appreciated.Thanks Again

Hey Jim that was my original plan starting out in fort worth and then traveling in the western region, if you don't mind looking at what i had planned originally and helping out with any suggestions i would appreciate it very much. I was going to start Fri. May 21st: 1.FTW to LAX (Texas Eagle)

overnight in Chicago

overnight in Seattle

The problem I see is not being able to take the coast strlght. from LAX to EMY. The way I have it planned I will be leaving NOL on my 15th day of a 15 day pass, I'm not sure if I will have to pay for the SAS to FTW trip(not too worried about it, it's not much anyway).

I checked this trip 2 wks. ago and at that time I could get roomettes for each segment,although I just learned about bucket fairs so the price has probably gone up by now. I am more interested in spending most of my trip on the train leaving tracks instead of making them. I hope this wasn't to long of a reply, but any and all help/suggestions will be appreciated.I am already a member of AGR but any help on maximizing my pionts will also be appreciated.Thanks Again
A good plan, I will point out a few tips that might help: a 15day/8 segment pass is good from midnight of the day it is used (in your case 5/21) until midnight of the 15th day!(6/4). In this case your eight leg (NOL-SAS) would run out before you got to SAS @ 3AM on 6/5 resulting in your needing to pay for the NOL-SAS and SAS-FTW legs of the trip. Also your connection from the EB from CHI-California is guaranteed in Sacramento (SAC), not Emeryville

(EMY) since the CZ could run late. This means youd have like a 7 hr. layover in SAC which means you could go to the California Rail Museum which is close by, get something to eat and see alittle of old Sacramento before catching the midnight train from SAC-SEA (the CS #14).

The way to fix the dates for the NOL-SAS leg is to pay for a coach ticket from FTW-SAS/spend the night(5/21), catch Sunset Ltd. #1 on 5/22- (since the Sunset only runs 3 times a week-this will allow your segment from NOL-SAS to be included on the pass and you just have to pay for SAS-FTW on the TE)

Another consideration is to ride the CS#14 from SAC to Portland (PDX), then catch the EB #28 from PDX-CHI which is a

same day conn ection. IMHO the PDX-SPK route along the Columbia Gorge is a great ride (true youd miss Puget Sound and SEA which is great too!)so

youd have to decide! This would mean 6 days/nights in a row on the train from CHI-SAC-PDX-CHI-NOL which is a lot even for guys like me and others here! :lol: Probably the one night in SEA is better with one night in NOL. This cuts your ride down to 3 night (SEA-CHI-NOL) and 3 nights from CHI-SAC-

SEA with a break in SAC. If you book early you can get low bucket sleepers, I suggest you make sure you can get the NOL-SAS booked first and work backwards since it is a three day a week train only. A sleeper isnt absolutely necessary since its from 11"55AM to 3AM NOL-SAS, often early into SAS.

Of course the Eagle is 7AM SAS-FTW, coach is fine for this leg. There is tons of info on SAC/SEA/NOL on this forum/on the web, Im very familiar with all three, also Orbitz.com is agreat hotel sight cause you can see the actual hotels unlike other travel sights where you book, then find out where you stay! Ive made some great deals in SEA and NOL, would be glad to help out or advise! Part of the fun is planning your route and times, of course compromises are necessary when time is limited but this a great plan, Ive done it and wish I could go tomorrow! Jim :)

overnight in Chicago

overnight in Seattle

A good plan, I will point out a few tips that might help: a 15day/8 segment pass is good from midnight of the day it is used (in your case 5/21) until midnight of the 15th day!(6/4). In this case your eight leg (NOL-SAS) would run out before you got to SAS @ 3AM on 6/5 resulting in your needing to pay for the NOL-SAS and SAS-FTW legs of the trip. Also your connection from the EB from CHI-California is guaranteed in Sacramento (SAC), not Emeryville

(EMY) since the CZ could run late. This means youd have like a 7 hr. layover in SAC which means you could go to the California Rail Museum which is close by, get something to eat and see alittle of old Sacramento before catching the midnight train from SAC-SEA (the CS #14).

The way to fix the dates for the NOL-SAS leg is to pay for a coach ticket from FTW-SAS/spend the night(5/21), catch Sunset Ltd. #1 on 5/22- (since the Sunset only runs 3 times a week-this will allow your segment from NOL-SAS to be included on the pass and you just have to pay for SAS-FTW on the TE)

Another consideration is to ride the CS#14 from SAC to Portland (PDX), then catch the EB #28 from PDX-CHI which is a

same day conn ection. IMHO the PDX-SPK route along the Columbia Gorge is a great ride (true youd miss Puget Sound and SEA which is great too!)so

youd have to decide! This would mean 6 days/nights in a row on the train from CHI-SAC-PDX-CHI-NOL which is a lot even for guys like me and others here! :lol: Probably the one night in SEA is better with one night in NOL. This cuts your ride down to 3 night (SEA-CHI-NOL) and 3 nights from CHI-SAC-

SEA with a break in SAC. If you book early you can get low bucket sleepers, I suggest you make sure you can get the NOL-SAS booked first and work backwards since it is a three day a week train only. A sleeper isnt absolutely necessary since its from 11"55AM to 3AM NOL-SAS, often early into SAS.

Of course the Eagle is 7AM SAS-FTW, coach is fine for this leg. There is tons of info on SAC/SEA/NOL on this forum/on the web, Im very familiar with all three, also Orbitz.com is agreat hotel sight cause you can see the actual hotels unlike other travel sights where you book, then find out where you stay! Ive made some great deals in SEA and NOL, would be glad to help out or advise! Part of the fun is planning your route and times, of course compromises are necessary when time is limited but this a great plan, Ive done it and wish I could go tomorrow! Jim :)
So help me out here. What is the difference between the Texas Eagle #21 & #421 other than price? Also I looked at taking the #1 SL out of SAS - LAX and and it was $131. vs $256. for the #421 TE that leaves the same time with a $277. dllr. price difference in sleeper comparts. the #1SL being alot less.what gives? Also it was my understanding that as long as you started your travel before midnight on the 15th day the trip was valid(my understanding has gotten me in alot of trouble before too lol)any suggestions on how to book to maximize my reward points. Once again thanks my friend I'll keep you in formed on my progress.

Boxcar,

Train #21 is the Official Texas Eagle, all cars designated as part of train #21 run only between Chicago and San Antonio. Train #421 represents the cars that are uncoupled from train #21 in San Antonio and attached to the Sunset Limited to continue onto LA. Those through cars are highly prized, since one can remain sound asleep in one's room/seat through the night if one is continuing west of San Antonio, which drives the prices up.

If you however you booked Fort Worth to LA on #21 & #1, then you would have to leave the train in San Antonio and spend several hours in the station waiting for #1 to arrive from New Orleans, before you could board the new train.

glad to here you enjoyed the train , i am also a new member here and work for amtrak as a reservation agent and i take the train often..

Boxcar,
Train #21 is the Official Texas Eagle, all cars designated as part of train #21 run only between Chicago and San Antonio. Train #421 represents the cars that are uncoupled from train #21 in San Antonio and attached to the Sunset Limited to continue onto LA. Those through cars are highly prized, since one can remain sound asleep in one's room/seat through the night if one is continuing west of San Antonio, which drives the prices up.

If you however you booked Fort Worth to LA on #21 & #1, then you would have to leave the train in San Antonio and spend several hours in the station waiting for #1 to arrive from New Orleans, before you could board the new train.
Sorry I didnt mention the difference in #21/#421 to LAX thru SAS but Alan covered it. Ive looked @ the trip you want ,see how this rings your chimes:

15 Day/8 Segment Rail Pass $389 (If you pay with AGR Master Card you get double points)

FTW-SAS 5/21 TE#21 Coach Paid

You are correct about the difference in #421/#1 here: Currently #421 charges $346 for a roomette from FTW-LAX, #1 is $137 from SAS-LAX. If you hang out in the station it's like from 9:30PM till 5AM the next morning which makes for a Looooooooong night (been there, done that!)!Rooms are fairly cheap in SAS long as you stay off the River Walk,lots of motels and hotels around the area from $80-$125. Looks like youd save about $100 if you spend the night in SAS catch #1 in the AM.

(Segment 1-Rail Pass ) SAS-LAX 5/22-5/23 Sunset Ltd.#1 Roomette/4 meals (this covers two remember if you take someone, all they have to do is pay for a Rail Pass)

(Segment 2-Rail Pass ) LAX-CHI 5/23-5/24 SWC#3** Roomette/6meals **this requires you to spend the night in CHI since the SWC arrives after the CZ leaves CHI)

CHI- Hotel 1 night 5/25

(Segment 3-Rail Pass ) CHI-SAC 5/26-5/28 CZ#5 Roomette/6meals

(Segment 4-Rail Pass ) SAC-SEA 5/28-5/29 CS#14 Roomette/3meals

SEA- Hotel 1 night 5/29

(Segment 5-Rail Pass ) SEA-CHI 5/30-6/01 EB#8 Roomette/6 meals

(Segment 6-Rail Pass ) CHI-NOL 6/01-6/02 CONO#59 Roomette/3 meals

NOL- Hotel 2 nights 6/02/6/03

(Segment 7-Rail Pass ) NOL-SAS 6/04-6/05 Sunset#1 Roomette/2 meals (Coach may be possible-run is 11:55AM-230AM-low bucket room is $103)

(Segment 8-Rail Pass ) SAS-FTW 6/05 TE#22 Coach (7AM-2PM-Lunch is served North of Temple only)

As ive said some really good deals in SEA/NOL ,also CHI if you use the Intl. Hostel that lots of us do. Does this sound OK? Jim :)

Aloha

I've been thinking about your plan, and I question not riding the Coast Starlight. Frankly I cant think of a way to ride it but I think it is the best of the LD trains have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

Eric

Boxcar,

Sorry I didnt mention the difference in #21/#421 to LAX thru SAS but Alan covered it. Ive looked @ the trip you want ,see how this rings your chimes:

15 Day/8 Segment Rail Pass $389 (If you pay with AGR Master Card you get double points)

FTW-SAS 5/21 TE#21 Coach Paid

You are correct about the difference in #421/#1 here: Currently #421 charges $346 for a roomette from FTW-LAX, #1 is $137 from SAS-LAX. If you hang out in the station it's like from 9:30PM till 5AM the next morning which makes for a Looooooooong night (been there, done that!)!Rooms are fairly cheap in SAS long as you stay off the River Walk,lots of motels and hotels around the area from $80-$125. Looks like youd save about $100 if you spend the night in SAS catch #1 in the AM.

(Segment 1-Rail Pass ) SAS-LAX 5/22-5/23 Sunset Ltd.#1 Roomette/4 meals (this covers two remember if you take someone, all they have to do is pay for a Rail Pass)

(Segment 2-Rail Pass ) LAX-CHI 5/23-5/24 SWC#3** Roomette/6meals **this requires you to spend the night in CHI since the SWC arrives after the CZ leaves CHI)

CHI- Hotel 1 night 5/25

(Segment 3-Rail Pass ) CHI-SAC 5/26-5/28 CZ#5 Roomette/6meals

(Segment 4-Rail Pass ) SAC-SEA 5/28-5/29 CS#14 Roomette/3meals

SEA- Hotel 1 night 5/29

(Segment 5-Rail Pass ) SEA-CHI 5/30-6/01 EB#8 Roomette/6 meals

(Segment 6-Rail Pass ) CHI-NOL 6/01-6/02 CONO#59 Roomette/3 meals

NOL- Hotel 2 nights 6/02/6/03

(Segment 7-Rail Pass ) NOL-SAS 6/04-6/05 Sunset#1 Roomette/2 meals (Coach may be possible-run is 11:55AM-230AM-low bucket room is $103)

(Segment 8-Rail Pass ) SAS-FTW 6/05 TE#22 Coach (7AM-2PM-Lunch is served North of Temple only)

As ive said some really good deals in SEA/NOL ,also CHI if you use the Intl. Hostel that lots of us do. Does this sound OK? Jim :)
Ok.Jim that is Agreat plan..............Until I started thinking about what Eric said about the CS. Now IF i don't stick to the plan you outlined I may take the 4 hour drive to SAS on sat. 5/22 and take the SL to NOL overnight in NOL, NOL to CHI-CONO, CHI to LAX-SWC,(only 2 hours between the next train out to SEA???) LAX to SEA-CS overnight in SEA, SEA to CHI-EB, overnight chicago, CHI to SAC- CZ. now here where I hit a snag being I have 24 hours to find my own way from SAC to LAX so I can catch the SL back to SAS on 6/05...............OR I could cut out the SWC and CZ and just travel out of NOL to CVS to CHI then on around to SEA on the EB and back thru LAX to SAS on the SL.Boy this planning is almost as fun as the trip itself. And to think my first thought of a trip started out as a short overnight trip from FTW to Mineola Texas that ended up in Miami via CHI and WAS!!! just shows to go ya' I won't know where I'm going till I hang up from the res. agent. Thanks Alan for the clarification on the #1,#21 and the #421. Thanks Eric for making think of a way to get that leg of the CS between LAX and SAC in. I've read alot about the west coast trains running horrendously late, so I hope it all works out.Hey Jim tell me more about those hostels please, are they just flophouses or what?I'll be taking my wife so where we stay will have to be figured in on the trip $$$. Thanks Y'all

A good plan! I have the solution to your question about EMY-LAX after yall get off the CZ from CHI-EMY. It involves a

bus, lot's of members have taken this, it's not that bad a trip! You will have to pay for the tickets since your 8 segments

will be used on the LAX-SAS trip on the Sunset Ltd.#2. It's in the schedule, has to be booked with the train which is no problem since yall are getting off a train in EMY and riding from Santa barbara to LAX on a train (Pacific Surfliner #768).

The bus # is 4768, leaves EMY @10:15PM, arrives in SBA @ 6:30AM, the Surfliner then gets to LAX @ 9:25AM, that gives you time to go to breakfast/brunch/lunch @ Phillipes, visit Olivera St./Chinatown area befor the Sunset leaves @ 2:30PM.

This has to be booked with an agent, first you buy your rail passes, then make your reservations!

If you dont care for this idea, there are other ways to do this trip but involve different routes and times.The SWC usually gets into LAX early, it's a guaranteed connection with the CS#14!

As to the hotels, look up Hostel International, when I first mentioned this I didnt realize your significant other was going (CHI has same sex policy only in their great hostel)There is a new one in SEA HI @The American Hotel a couple of blocks from the King St. Station. Getting rave reviews, it has private and coed rooms, look it up @ HostellsInternational/USA, I havent stayed there but will!

but as I've said there are some deals in SEA/CHI and NOL on Orbitz, I'll be glad to PM you (Personal message) or if youd prefer if you PM me I'll give you my e-mail and we can do it that way! Dont wait too long, these are popular trains in the west and they fill up/go to high bucket pretty quickly, especially the EB/CZ/CS. Jim :) PS-Eric is correct, the CS is fantastic but the EB and CZ are pretty wonderful themselves! :)

glad to here you enjoyed the train , i am also a new member here and work for amtrak as a reservation agent and i take the train often..
thanks tnun as soon as my travel agent( jim h. ha-ha ) and myself figure out almost exactly wat my itenarary is going to be, i will be giving you a call.

Aloha
I've been thinking about your plan, and I question not riding the Coast Starlight. Frankly I cant think of a way to ride it but I think it is the best of the LD trains have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

Eric
Hi GG-1 I think you are absolutely right. winding around the pacific coast will be one of the highlights of my trip.my travel advisor(Jim H) has helped me out tremendous with my planning,and we figured out a way to fit in the entire CS from LAX to SEA(PDX???)Thanks btw your diesel engine logo is really cool. beatiful train

Aloha

Jim is Pretty good in trip planing, especially for someone in such a big state with little rail service, but then I am from a small state with no Amtrak service, that I was going to suggest to continue discussion in the main Amtrak section. You may find some additional ideas or routings by others that don't visit the "News" section on a regular basis.

BTW: The motor in my logo is not a diesel, She is a Passenger Electric. 127 were built between 1937 and 1939. They lasted until 1983 operating at speeds a little above 100mph between Penn Station in NYC and Washington Union Station in DC. Covering the distance in a little over 3 hours. Those days the service was called "Clocker Service" Due to hourly Service

Aloha

Eric
Hi GG-1 I think you are absolutely right. winding around the pacific coast will be one of the highlights of my trip.my travel advisor(Jim H) has helped me out tremendous with my planning,and we figured out a way to fit in the entire CS from LAX to SEA(PDX???)Thanks btw your diesel engine logo is really cool. beatiful train

Back