New member intro

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippyman

Service Attendant
Hi, I just joined today, and thought I'd let ya'll know a little about myself. I have had a bit of a rough past with rail travel, my first trip, I took with my parents, and it didnt turn out well, when an alleged 7 hr trip turned into an 18 hr trip from hell, complete with cancelled motel rooms, and medical problems. However, as I matured, I warmed up to the idea of rail travel, and went on another trip, this time, discovering the sightseer lounge :cool: . Now, after my mother just had a preplanned trip to newyork ruined by the airlines, she is thinking she might want to try another rail journey, and if I could talk her into it, I would love to take my girlfriend on the experience. My main question is, which routes offer the most scenic views, out of the current routes? Also, aside from the lack of TSA hastle, what other benefits does rail travel offer over airline travel?

Hi, I just joined today, and thought I'd let ya'll know a little about myself. I have had a bit of a rough past with rail travel, my first trip, I took with my parents, and it didnt turn out well, when an alleged 7 hr trip turned into an 18 hr trip from hell, complete with cancelled motel rooms, and medical problems. However, as I matured, I warmed up to the idea of rail travel, and went on another trip, this time, discovering the sightseer lounge :cool: . Now, after my mother just had a preplanned trip to newyork ruined by the airlines, she is thinking she might want to try another rail journey, and if I could talk her into it, I would love to take my girlfriend on the experience. My main question is, which routes offer the most scenic views, out of the current routes? Also, aside from the lack of TSA hastle, what other benefits does rail travel offer over airline travel?
I took my 1st train trip in 08 Tampa-Was DC-Chicago-Seattle- Sacramento-Chicago Was DC-Tampa. (Very nice 1st trip! :) ) Since then I've done a couple of other x-country trips. Myself, I dont look at Amtrak as a means of scheduled transportation, I look at the rail ride as a part of the vacation experience. The rides thru Glacier Park area & the Cascade Mtns or Columbia River Gorge on the EB are beautiful! The ride thru the Rockies on the CZ is killer. Whichever you choose, just kick back & enjoy!!! Oh, & welcome!!!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
hippyman

Aloha and Welcome

The other members may be able to help more on your question if you expound on it. for example does it relate to the NY trip or train travel in general. Also what is your departure city, how much time is available for the travel. Some of us, The_Traveler in particular, get great joy by using the longest routes possible, ie., the trip is more important than the destination.

Welcome! :)

The most scenic trip, according to many including myself, is the California Zephyr through the Colorado Rockies and Donner Pass. Another very scenic route is the Coast Starlight along the Southern California coast and thru the Cascades.

Besides the obvious TSA problems, I enjoy train travel because if you want you can get up and walk around. Sure you can on a plane also, but how far can you go? :huh: And possibly every few hours, you can get off the train at "smoke stops" and either smoke (if you do) or just walk around and get some fresh air. Try that at 30,000 feet! :eek: And I find the views better at 5 or 15 feet than at 30,000 feet! :cool:

The best thing is you actually see America instead of clouds with patches of ground! If it wasn't for taking the train, I probably would have never visited MT, ND, NM or WV!

The best advice is to forget the time, relax and enjoy the trip! :D

the occasional stops do get me excited, and definately the lack of TSA, after I was virtually strip searched, flying back from pheonix one time. And, from the way I understand it, there are no limitations on liquids, vs the airlines stupid/pointless policies, am I correct? Also, when the train does stop, how long does it generally stop for? Is there ever any time for any sort of excursions?

No! Only get off the train when they announce it is a "smoke stop" - and even then stay near the train and be ready to re-board when they announce "All Aboard!" - since the train departs at 10:36 or 2:18! It doesn't matter if your aboard or not! :eek: And in many places, the next train is in 24 hours! (Some places longer!)

No! Only get off the train when they announce it is a "smoke stop" - and even then stay near the train and be ready to re-board when they announce "All Aboard!" - since the train departs at 10:36 or 2:18! It doesn't matter if your aboard or not! :eek: And in many places, the next train is in 24 hours! (Some places longer!)
well, that kinda puts a damper on that idea. :( The last really pure scenic trip I took, was on a cruise, and they had all kinds of excursions, still tho, the possibilities do seem to excite me. Has anyone ever taken the Texas Eagle from Ft Worth to LA, then the Coast Starlight to Seattle? I'm wondering about the scenery on that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, that kinda puts a damper on that idea. :( The last really pure scenic trip I took, was on a cruise, and they had all kinds of excursions, still tho, the possibilities do seem to excite me. Has anyone ever taken the Texas Eagle from Ft Worth to LA, then the Coast Starlight to Seattle? I'm wondering about the scenery on that route.
Aloha

Have ridden both routes. Here are my Texas Eagle Picture Gallery and here is my Coast Starlight Picture Gallery

You will love this trip.

First, if you really want to get off and see things, then you may want to look into the Rail Pass. Depending on just how many stops you want to make, this could give you the chance to make some stop overs in selected cities, while keeping costs down.

As for the Eagle to LA, depending on one's definition of "scenic" most people would probably say that it's not. However, there are a couple of neat bridges that one crosses, and if you're into desert scenery, then it can be very scenic. I just did the bulk of that trip, although I started in New Orleans and I enjoyed it. It doesn't have the grandeur of say the Rockies, but it was still neat IMHO.

The Coast Starlight on the other hand is considered by most to be one of the most scenic runs that Amtrak has. You get ocean running, and right on the ocean in fact, Vandenberg Air Force base, mountains, and then more scenic water between Portland & Seattle.

Welcome to the forum! Alan is correct about the rail passes, for a real rail tour they cant be beat! Since the other guys posted on the Eagle/Sunset and Starlight routes Ill suggest if you get a rail pass that you consider taking the Eagle North from FTW, spend some time in CHI (theres a great hostel there right downtown), catch the Empire Builder to Portland or Seattle, spend a night or two, ride the Coast Starlight to Sacramento, then catch the California Zephyer to CHI, spend a night, ride the Southwest Chief to LAX,spend a night or two, then ride the Sunset Ltd. from LAX to FTW (itll be #421 the Texas Eagle hooked to the Sunset Ltd. #2), youll spend a night on the train, overnight in San Antonio (the train is your hotel)then be in FTW in time for lunch!

There is also the option of riding the Coast from LAX to the Bay Area, return on the overnite bus or Southbound Coast Starlight (youd have to spend the night in lAX, time your trip since the Sunset/Eagle is only three times a week, all other trains run daily!) In addition to the bridges on the Sunset route El Paso has an interesting train station, the trip along the Mexico border is right outside your window and dont forget the Sunset will be gone when the new daily schedule begins in the fall so catch it while you can! If you have the time Id suggest the 30 day/12 segment pass but it can be done on a 15 day/8 segment, one of our members is currently on this trip so look for his post upon his return! (Boxcar817)! Well be glad to help, were also envious! ;)

Welcome to the forum! Alan is correct about the rail passes, for a real rail tour they cant be beat! Since the other guys posted on the Eagle/Sunset and Starlight routes Ill suggest if you get a rail pass that you consider taking the Eagle North from FTW, spend some time in CHI (theres a great hostel there right downtown), catch the Empire Builder to Portland or Seattle, spend a night or two, ride the Coast Starlight to Sacramento, then catch the California Zephyer to CHI, spend a night, ride the Southwest Chief to LAX,spend a night or two, then ride the Sunset Ltd. from LAX to FTW (itll be #421 the Texas Eagle hooked to the Sunset Ltd. #2), youll spend a night on the train, overnight in San Antonio (the train is your hotel)then be in FTW in time for lunch!

There is also the option of riding the Coast from LAX to the Bay Area, return on the overnite bus or Southbound Coast Starlight (youd have to spend the night in lAX, time your trip since the Sunset/Eagle is only three times a week, all other trains run daily!) In addition to the bridges on the Sunset route El Paso has an interesting train station, the trip along the Mexico border is right outside your window and dont forget the Sunset will be gone when the new daily schedule begins in the fall so catch it while you can! If you have the time Id suggest the 30 day/12 segment pass but it can be done on a 15 day/8 segment, one of our members is currently on this trip so look for his post upon his return! (Boxcar817)! Well be glad to help, were also envious! ;)

Ya'll are definately right, I agree, "the journey is the destination". Now, I'm kind of rethinking my trip, as there are just a few states in the continental US, that I havent been to yet. What routes go thru the New England states? And would they have sightseer lounge cars? I would have to go in the fall, to see the foliage. And what about the Dakotas?

The Empire Builder. one of Amtrak's finest trains and one with spectacular scenery in the Glacier Park area, the Washington Cascades and the Puget Sound, north of Seattle, runs the length of North Dakota. As for South Dakota, no Amtrak train runs anywhere near South Dakota. An excursion to South Dakota would entail renting a car and driving to that state. In New England, there are many trains that run daily between New York City and Boston. The Downeaster runs from Boston to Portland, ME. And a couple of trains make a run into Vermont: the Vermonter whose run is between Washington DC and St. Albans, Vermont, and the Ethan Allen running between New York City and Rutland, VT. I'm not at all familiar with those trains, having never been anywhere near New England (but hope to some day!).

Aloha

Let me suggest that this should continue in the main Amtrak thread, as more people follow that thread. This thread is primarily to meet and learn about each other.

Mahalo

Back