New member, semi-new passenger.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwebarts

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hi all!

Currently living in "inside the Beltway" Maryland, so WAS is my rail home.

Despite having lived in Los Angeles, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Chicago, New Jersey, and Detroit (not in that order) previously, I haven't yet taken any long-distance routes. It's mostly been NEC/Acela, with one trip to Montreal on the Adirondak.

Now that I've finally given up the "must always be available instantly" life of a web developer, escaping to being out of cell tower range is a huge draw.

I haven't decided on the route for my first long haul and really haven't traveled further than Charlottesville since Covid started. I generally prefer to walk or take public transportation when I travel, so I pick destinations accordingly. While I love to drive (California Route 1 is my favorite and likely the reason I never took the CS when I lived out there), I dislike the increasing stupidity and inattention of other drivers. I also prefer to see new places up close instead of out a car window.

I'd suggest that just going to Chicago would make a nice trip - except for the food issue until Amtrak ever gets real food back in the East. Going anywhere out west (Denver, Sacramento, SF, even El Paso or ABQ) where the city is walkable and/or has good transit would be a great idea but all would still require suffering the food to Chicago before the fun and enjoyment really starts.

If one has time for a long trip, one could do multi-stop as in CHI, DEN, SAC and SF with a few days in each place.

Chicago has been on my list for a while since I went to college in Evanston. I miss the Art Institute of Chicago enormously. I've been waiting for Covid to die down a bit more to make sure I can do most things I want without issue.

If I was really a good NU alum, I'd go to the gathering since it's homecoming weekend. After last Saturday's beatdown by Sparty, I'm not sure I want to. 😆

Back