Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrooge

Train Attendant
Hi everyone.

I live in the UK and will be visiting the US. Our holiday entails travelling from Boston to Seattle via the Lake Shore and Empire Builder. I keep reading with interest the woes of Amtrak. Should I be optimistic that my journeys there and back will go all according to plan?

Hi everyone.

I live in the UK and will be visiting the US. Our holiday entails travelling from Boston to Seattle via the Lake Shore and Empire Builder. I keep reading with interest the woes of Amtrak. Should I be optimistic that my journeys there and back will go all according to plan?
:hi: Welcome to the Forum! My gitlfriend is in England right now, shes loving it due to the cool weather and the friendly people, even says the trains are fun! (but also says it's very expensive in London due to the pound being so strong! :eek: )

When are you coming to the States, we can give you plenty of info about your travel plans, some of which will be dependant on when you will be traveling here! Things should be improving in the fall for Amtrak when the weather moderates, its been a really wierd and bad year for our Trains!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome.

I've done a lot of traveling around the USA and Canada by car, plane, bus, train and hitch hiking.

Think of your trip as an adventure and it'll be more fun.

Other members here can better tell you about yours odds on Amtrak.

We arrive on 18th Sept and pick up the train to Seattle on 19th, we then drive up to Kamloops BC then back to Vancouver, back to Seattle 6th October train back to Boston. Final days in New England by car until we leave on 15th October. We have been to the US about 6 or 7 times before and thoroughly enjoy it every time wherever we go, however it is our first trip on the railroad. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from across the Pond!

If at all possible, could you extend your stay in Seattle by a day or 2? We have an annual Gathering where AU members get together for a weekend from around the US and the world! This year, it's being held in Seattle - from October 7-9! We would love to meet you! There is no cost to register - the only cost is for train riding and/or meals (if you chose to do any). You can do as much or as little as possible! The main idea is to meet othèr AU members!

If interested, send a PM (Private Message) to MrFSS to let him know of your plans!

Either way, enjoy your holiday!

Welcome to the Forum.

I think Amtrak should be good for your trip barring any natural disasters.

I read there has been some track work on the route from Boston to Albany

and Amtrak was subtituting bus service for part of the distance, but perhaps

others could advise if the work will be complete by September 19th.

The Lake Shore goes through upstate New York, but I don't think it was

impacted by the flooding. I think the Empire Builder is running better\

that during the summertime.

I hope you will have an enjoyable visit and train trip.

Just remember not to expect perfection (
sad.gif
) and everything should go well.

Welcome from across the Pond!

If at all possible, could you extend your stay in Seattle by a day or 2? We have an annual Gathering where AU members get together for a weekend from around the US and the world! This year, it's being held in Seattle - from October 7-9! We would love to meet you! There is no cost to register - the only cost is for train riding and/or meals (if you chose to do any). You can do as much or as little as possible! The main idea is to meet othèr AU members!

If interested, send a PM (Private Message) to MrFSS to let him know of your plans!

Either way, enjoy your holiday!
Thanks for the invite and the welcoming messages. I regret to say that I am unable to change my return from Seattle.

Back