New No Smoking Policy Coming to the Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can you not use the electronic cigarette, as far as I know, you can use them virtually anywhere with no damaging effects to anyone NOR is there a smell of tobacco!!!!

Using e-cigs is also strictly prohibited by Amtrak's policy. You may have been lucky in the past, but nothing says you will be in the future. You would likely be warned if you were caught, but they could put you off the train...

Enforcement is of course an issue. I've seen smoking going on in the public areas, which is clearly not in compliance with Amtrak policy.

Unfortunately it's one of those things where Amtrak crew members aren't everywhere all the time. If someone goes to the rear of a train or downstairs in a vestibule and smokes is a crew member going to see them every time? No. But if someone brings it to the attention of a crew member I'd be shocked if nothing was done about it. The Operating Crew has a lot on their plate, and the TA's similarly can get bogged down. It's like everything else, see something, say something.

Will the new no-smoking policy affecting ridership on the Auto Train?

I don't smoke, but it seem kind of cruel? Why can't they make the last car a smoking area? It's not like planes where there air is recirculated within the entire cabin.

Unfortunately it's one of those things where Amtrak crew members aren't everywhere all the time. If someone goes to the rear of a train or downstairs in a vestibule and smokes is a crew member going to see them every time? No. But if someone brings it to the attention of a crew member I'd be shocked if nothing was done about it. The Operating Crew has a lot on their plate, and the TA's similarly can get bogged down. It's like everything else, see something, say something.
Just recently I saw some guy smoking on the platform - I mean right next to a train door as it opened. The assistant conductor came storming out of another door and started yelling at him. I was under the impression that smoking isn't allowed in any area of that station (Emeryville), including outdoors and on the platforms. That doesn't mean people don't do it.

There are a few conductors where I can smell the result of their smoke breaks. Not sure where they would do it, but I'm guessing at the beginning of the run since no train will stop for more than a couple of minutes unless there's an issue.

Albeit, this reply is almost two years after the initial post, Amtrak's explanation of weighing the possibility of reduced ridership from smokers on the AT once the train became 100% smokefree was offset by riders experiencing a healthier experience and environment left off the fact that it would also open up the market for ridership on the AT who until the smokefree policy was implemented would not take the AT because smoking was still allowed. In addition, Amtrak didn't mention (and it still doesn't) that a smokefree AT would provide a healthier and safer workplace for the Amtrak employees who were required to work the AT assignment. I don't buy any corporate suggestion that Amtrak employees who indicated their desire not to work those assignments would be honored. I'm certain that such a designation would limit their assignment opportunities at the expense of an outdated policy. The same lack of concern for Amtrak rail employees still exists by Amtrak's curent policy of allowing smoking stops at some of their stations (such as Florence, SC and Washington DC). At least one Amtrak employee is required to stand on the platform adjacent to the passengers who step off the train for their nicotine fix. The Amtrak employee is stuck amongst the smoking passengers and exposed to the toxic tobacco secondhand smoke (b/t/w, I am not an Amtrak employee). Last year, passengers on board a northbound Amtrak train delayed in the Washington DC station due to a problem switching engines (from diesel to electric) were subjected to the clouds of smoke entering the train cars through the open doors without any air conditioning operating (when the engine switching occurs all electric power in the passenger cars is shut off). Complicating matters further, the platform where smokers congregated was right outside the passenger cars where designated seating for the disabled was located, thus I could not use the respirator that I had onboard while the power shutdown was in effect. It is long overdue for Amtrak to evolve into the 21st Century and have all their property (on board as well as all station platforms) become smokefree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back