New Orleans Amtrak (Crescent)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
I have a couple of questions for an upcoming trip.

I think I read that the station will have taxi's waiting when the Crescent pulls in. Is this still correct?

The Crescent departs northbound at 7:00AM. What time do they let passengers get on the train? Is the lounge open at that time for sleeper passengers. I was thinking to leave my hotel by 6.

According to Amtrak, Station is open at five with the lounge open at 5:45. They recommend you to arrive an hour early if you need help (tickets, baggage, etc), otherwise they say 45 minutes, but reality is 15 minutes before departure is plenty if you're just going to walk up to the train. If the idea is that you are coach and you want to be at the head of the line to get the best seat, get there around 5:45 and hang out.

As for taxis, that's out of Amtrak's control. The locals will have taxis there if they want the business.

Taxis will be at the station. But from my experience at NOL, there was a long queue to get one, so you may have to wait a while unless you're one of the first persons in line. This may or may not happen to you, but for what its worth, that's what I encountered the one time I detrained at NOL.

Just get on the internet and find out the number for a cab company in NOL. Call them and have them waiting. I've always had good luck catching cabs right away at that station.

I've always seen cabs waiting at the station in New Orleans. I've always walked or (as of recent) taken the streetcar but it's always seemed like plenty of cabs to go around.

The Magnolia Room [the first class lounge] opens a few minutes after the station does - approx. 6am.

You have to stand in line at the ticket counter to get a code to punch into a pad to open the door of the lounge - unless you catch it when someone else goes in. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of cabs waiting at the station. The streetcar line is also right outside the station as well. If you're checking bags, I'd get there at least an hour before departure. Amtrak requires you check bags at least 45 minutes prior to departure. The Magnolia Room will be open for you to enjoy. The conductor or an employee will come get you from that room about 20 to 30 minutes prior to departure, since it sounds like you are in a sleeper.

So what does the Magnolia room look like? I tried searching for pictures but couldn't find much online.

The Magnolia room is in the corner of NOL station. It is not a large lounge but it offers comfortable seats a couple of tables and hot coffee. IIRC is about 30'-35' long and I guess it can fit 15 or so passengers. We haven't been there in a few years, and supposedly it was renovated so it might have changed. Its nothing special but it gets you out of the crowded terminal area. As for taxis quite a few usually line up outside when a train arrives so it shouldn't be a problem. Waits are usually short. Watch out though for the scalpers as some of these guys want to charge way over the standard fare that should be about $10 to the French Quarter area. Best to arrange for a taxi in advance so that the rate is locked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back