New Orleans Hotels / Airport Transportation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acelafan

Conductor
AUers,

Looking for suggestions on getting from the MSY airport over to a hotel near the NOL Amtrak train station. I want to introduce my friend to Amtrak travel, and since we plan to take the #20 Crescent departing at 7:05AM, we'll need to fly into New Orleans from Miami the night before. I don't know if the train station is in a decent part of town or not... Anyone have recommendations for hotels nearby (and maybe with a free shuttle from the airport instead of a taking a cab?) Any tips would be appreciated, and if there is already a thread on this topic just let me know....many thanks!

We couldn't find a hotel with free airport shuttle. The price of a shuttle vs. a cab from the airport to downtown is the same. $30. Take a taxi. Have fun!

I have stayed at the Quality Inn on O'Keefe Avenue. Here is a link to the Quality Inn website: Quality Inn. The hotel is very near the French Quarter, Bourbon Street, Canal Street, etc. It is less than a mile from the Amtrak station, but, it is about 12 miles from the airport. I don't think they have a shuttle to/from the airport though (I was there for work, so, we had cars to get back and forth).

I also noticed a Holiday Inn in the area. If you search for downtown New Orleans hotels, you should receive quite a few suggestions.

I have stayed at the Quality Inn on O'Keefe Avenue.
It just so happens that the Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 arrived at New Orleans aboard the Crescent this evening and is currently ensconced at this very hotel. All good so far, especially a no-cost upgrade to suite when it turned out the 5 accessible rooms were taken; hadn't reserved one, asked anyway at check-in, and got the upgrade. No airport shuttle, but very close to Amtrak station - an easy walk. The RailRiot was stupidly unaware of such close proximity and paid a flat rate 15 bucks to go about two blocks. We'll be walking to the station on departure.

People have different ideas and feelings about what's a "decent" area, but I'd say it's fine. First on the agenda was getting some brewski for the evening, so a roll/stroll about 1.5 blocks to a store on Canal Street (hideous prices), where we enjoyed watching some streetcars as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The airport website has a listing of ground transportation options. One of which is a bus run by Jefferson Parish Transit that runs from the airport to downtown to IIRC over by City Hall. Don't know when it stops running but I do know it was fairly quick and very cheap.

AUers, Looking for suggestions on getting from the MSY airport over to a hotel near the NOL Amtrak train station. I want to introduce my friend to Amtrak travel, and since we plan to take the #20 Crescent departing at 7:05AM, we'll need to fly into New Orleans from Miami the night before. I don't know if the train station is in a decent part of town or not... Anyone have recommendations for hotels nearby (and maybe with a free shuttle from the airport instead of a taking a cab?) Any tips would be appreciated, and if there is already a thread on this topic just let me know....many thanks!
Check with Orbitz for your hotel, ive found some fantastic deals for NOL when its not a weekend or a large event happening, the Courtyard by Marriot is close to the Convention Center, is within walking distance, the cabdrivers will try to charge $15 flat rate for a short trip, NOl food and store prices can be pricey, do your research before arriving, all the famous places are expensive but plenty of cheap,good local joints too! A day pass for the street cars/busses is $5,

the Algiers ferry is free as is walking around downtown! Cabs to the airport are pricey, there is a bus , check out the web site for NOL, have a great time!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone, really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Yes, I'm excited! I have never been to New Orleans and I forgot about the streetcars. Will have to ride those, too!

AUers, Looking for suggestions on getting from the MSY airport over to a hotel near the NOL Amtrak train station. I want to introduce my friend to Amtrak travel, and since we plan to take the #20 Crescent departing at 7:05AM, we'll need to fly into New Orleans from Miami the night before. I don't know if the train station is in a decent part of town or not... Anyone have recommendations for hotels nearby (and maybe with a free shuttle from the airport instead of a taking a cab?) Any tips would be appreciated, and if there is already a thread on this topic just let me know....many thanks!
Later this month, I have a night in between the Crescent and Sunset Limited to spend in NOL. I decided to give Priceline a try and won my bid for $70/night at the Renaissance Pere Marquette. It's a great deal for the hotel which is one block from Bourbon Street. If you can deal the brand ambiguity of Priceline or Hotwire, big-city bids usually work out well. I had a Chicago bid a few months ago that resulted in a beautiful hotel on the river for about $80! Hope you have a wonderful trip.

About a year ago my wife and I rode the City down from MEM to NOL for a few days of eating our way through the French Quarter. We stayed at a place called Le Richelieu (http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/) that I can't recommend highly enough. They were everything we hoped for - clean, friendly, knowledgeable, cheap... and they really knew where to eat. It's about two miles from the station, which might be pushing it if you're walking with luggage.

Have a great time!

Last January my wife and I took the CNO from Detroit to New Orleans. We stayed at the Maison St. Charles Inn and Suites and had no complaints. It's a mile from the Amtrak Station (a short cab ride or a mile walk). It is also on the St. Charles streetcar line, which made it convenient for getting around town.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g6..._Louisiana.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back