New Orleans - March 2017

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPat09

Train Attendant
Hey everyone, it has been awhile since I have posted.

During Spring Break of next year, I am hoping to take Amtrak from Tuscaloosa to New Orleans to visit the WWII museum and other places around the city. It would be me and 3 others, all still in college, so that's why it is during spring break, and why we need to try and keep it as affordable as possible. Luckily, I have enough points saved up that we should all be able to ride the train there and back for free.

Now, I need help finding a place to stay that is reasonably priced for 3 college students and one full-time employee that has only been at his job for about a year.

If anyone can just push me in the right direction, I would appreciate it a lot. I have not been to New Orleans since pre Katrina and I am very much looking forward to this trip!

Mardi Gras is on Feb. 28 this year--avoiding that week should help with finding affordable lodging.

Which week are you planning to go? You might ought to check the convention schedule--a really large convention in town pushes up hotel prices.

I and my uncle are in New Orleans as we speak (type) and we are staying at the Drury Inn on Poydras St. For two of us it's $150/night. I don't know of course what reasonable is to you but I thought it was reasonable considering the amenities the hotel provides.

My wife and I have stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites on Charles Street and were very pleased. https://www.choicehotels.com/louisiana/new-orleans/quality-inn-hotels/la032. $85 per night first week in March 2017. It's a healthy walk from Union Station and we opted for a cab when we left. Also walking distance from the WWII memorial museum. The streetcar stops right in front which will take you to most of the attractions.

Luckily, I have enough points saved up that we should all be able to ride the train there and back for free.
Points are paid for one way or another, so using points for the round trip your trip will be pre-paid rather than "free".

But lots of people would think of it as a 'free' train trip.

Would a hostel or a B&B work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back