New Orleans or Lafayette, LA Stations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CM

What are the parking situations at both stations? I assume it costs to park in New Orleans...what's the rate? What about Lafayette?

Thanks

What are the parking situations at both stations? I assume it costs to park in New Orleans...what's the rate? What about Lafayette?

Thanks
$5 a day in NOL and free in lafayette.
And a suggestion for whenever you park overnight:

On your computer printer, put the word "POLICE" or "INFO FOR POLICE" on one side of sheet of paper. Put your itinerary and name/address/phone or at least your name and cell number on the other. Place the "POLICE" side up on the floor in front of driver's seat with a copy in the glove compartment. If anything happens to car other than being outright stolen and not recovered, it will make it a lot easier and quicker for them to get a hold of you.

In Jessup, GA, the lot was just an open area downtown at a totally unmanned (and fire-damaged) station so I stopped at the local police station and asked them to periodically drive by and check the car and gave them my info. They said they would. Don't know if they did but I sure slept better on the trip.

True about the parking in NOL, however if there is free long-term parking in Lafayette, I have yet to discover it! Guess I need to take a drive over there and get some photos! Last time I was there (January), there was a newly constructed building and the only parking lot that's near the station is "permit only" parking. On Google Earth I did see a parking area, but have no knowledge of it being available for long-term use.

The station that also serves Amtrak passengers is shared by the Lafayette Transit System.

Addendum: I did go and take pictures today. I've added them to the Amtraktrains flickr group. However, there's one you don't want to miss, so will show it here: It's a few of the new construction going on to "beautify" the area I took this will standing in front of the train depot in the bus area.

5747511771_a6b8e8586a_z.jpg

Regarding parking at the LFT station, I did see that only a few of the slots in the "permit lot" were for government vehicles only. I am assuming that since they have the major portion of what once was the parking area is now torn up, that this permit lot will suffice as a long-term lot. During the week, I've seen a lot of cars there, not sure if it's city workers are people just wanting to get free parking while working downtown. There is a smaller lot on the other side of the terminal building, but it's reserved for government employees. Also, the lot I parked in on E. Cypress is most probably reserved for post office patrons, as there is no other place for customers to park.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were planning to park at the Lafayette station in June 2006, but after talking to a security attendant for the transit system and being informed that there is no security after 10:30 p.m., and the attendant said she would not leave her car there, plus the train could be late...maybe very late..we opted to leave our car at the airport. We took the airport shuttle back to the train station. We were given a card with the shuttle phone info and told to call on our return trip when the Sunset reached Crowley and the shuttle would be waiting for us at the station, regardless of how late the train might be. The shuttle owner told us they provided this service to people who came in on late buses, as well. We had to pay for parking at the airport, but it was worth the peace of mind. The afternoon we boarded the Sunset, there were lots of loiterers hanging around the station, and some even came inside and just sat and stared at us. One other couple and an elderly man waited for the train with us. It was a very uncomfortable situation in an unstaffed station. Very different scene when we returned to station one week later. Lots of people on platform waiting for train, which was only three hours late. Shuttle driver was also waiting for us.

True about the parking in NOL, however if there is free long-term parking in Lafayette, I have yet to discover it! Guess I need to take a drive over there and get some photos! Last time I was there (January), there was a newly constructed building and the only parking lot that's near the station is "permit only" parking. On Google Earth I did see a parking area, but have no knowledge of it being available for long-term use.

The station that also serves Amtrak passengers is shared by the Lafayette Transit System.

Addendum: I did go and take pictures today. I've added them to the Amtraktrains flickr group. However, there's one you don't want to miss, so will show it here: It's a few of the new construction going on to "beautify" the area I took this will standing in front of the train depot in the bus area.

5747511771_a6b8e8586a_z.jpg

Regarding parking at the LFT station, I did see that only a few of the slots in the "permit lot" were for government vehicles only. I am assuming that since they have the major portion of what once was the parking area is now torn up, that this permit lot will suffice as a long-term lot. During the week, I've seen a lot of cars there, not sure if it's city workers are people just wanting to get free parking while working downtown. There is a smaller lot on the other side of the terminal building, but it's reserved for government employees. Also, the lot I parked in on E. Cypress is most probably reserved for post office patrons, as there is no other place for customers to park.
Try the southwest corner across the street from the station where the old SP division superintendent's office was. It may not be the safest place in town but I think if you get in a jam the parking is there. If you can't find a parking spot in Lafayette we're all in trouble !!!

Decided to stick with the New Orleans departure on Fri...so will be parked there for nearly 2 weeks. Is the lot secured at night in any way...is there any security at all or do I get about the same benefit for $5 a day as I would parking in a Wal-Mart parking lot. : )

Decided to stick with the New Orleans departure on Fri...so will be parked there for nearly 2 weeks. Is the lot secured at night in any way...is there any security at all or do I get about the same benefit for $5 a day as I would parking in a Wal-Mart parking lot. : )
Don't know about Wal-Mart but it is open air. Try to get space #50; it has been a lucky one for me. Word of warning~ I have come home to spaces 49 and 51 having been broken into and they are right next to the station, cameras, security, etc. Also be sure to stuff your money up the slot with a comb or pen knife as the homeless will be right behind you taking your money out. Next comes the tow truck and two weeks of storage and tow charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back