New Orleans to Boston, stop in NY?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me again, the crazy woman taking a baby and 10-year old from New Orleans to Boston in coach in a few weeks. We get into NYC around 1pm supposedly and our train to Boston leaves about 5:30.
I’ve read numerous accounts of trains being hours late. Wondering if maybe we should make a day of it in NYC and get a hotel to leave the next day? Is that generally allowed to postpone or choose a different train on one leg of trip or do they charge like it’s a new ticket?
Should I take my chances that they’ll be late enough to miss my connection anyway?
Thanks!

There are other trains to BOS. The last one typically leaves at 7:50pm. The odds of missing that train isn't that great. Indeed, we can check Juckins.net for a chart:

20 connecting to 178 at NYP

This shows in the last year, the connection missed 19 out of 258 possible connections, or 7%. This is based on a MON-FRI search. There are later trains on Sundays. If you are running late enough to miss train 94, they can put you on the next train up until 178 leaves.

Now, if you WANt to spend the day, that is another thing.

Thanks! Yes, I was looking forward to spending a few hours in NY between trains, but if the 20 doesn’t run on time, we won’t be able to.

I wouldn't worry about it. Since you're traveling coach - if you are so late (not likely) that you miss the last train on a guaranteed connection, Amtrak has to put you up for the night on their dime or find you a way there.

In my mind, the big question is 'do I want to arrive in Boston after midnight?'

Is there someone going to meet you at the station?

If not, I'd plan to spend the afternoon and night in the Washington DC area. Many hotels to choose from, some are within walking distance of the red line subway which stops at Union Station. For what it's worth, I've caught a room at Residence Inn at NoMa ( https://www.google.com/search?sourc.......0..0i131j0j33i22i29i30j33i160.yC_M0TkLI98 ) for a very good rate during the summer and the university is mostly empty. It's a one-stop ride on the red line.

Why Washington? Hotel rates are usually lower than in New York City.

Back