New Orleans to New York by Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UKPhil

Train Attendant
Hi All

New to this forum and am seeking some advice.

A budy and myself have the weekend of February 9th to 10th to travel from New Orleans to New York and have decided to go by Amtrak rather than stay an extra night in New Orleans and fly on the sunday. We have booked a sleeping compartment (the bedroom rather than roomette).

As you may be able to tell from the lodin name we are both from the UK - I am a railway fan but my buddy is not - have we made a good choice?

Regards

PHIL

Last edited by a moderator:
You've made a good choice. The Crescent, which is what I assume you are on, is one of Amtrak's best trains. It is its most reliable single-level, continues to offer a full dining car, and is the successor of the last train to run overnights independent of Amtrak. And American airlines suck. So you should enjoy this.

Although you will be on the tracks of only two different railroads, it will seem more like four.

From New Orleans to Birmingham (the one in Alabama, not the one in England) the line is relatively straight and train speeds wil be in the 50 mph ot 79 mph range most of the time. It is single line and you will have numerous meets. South of Meridian, Mississippi, there are signals, but no CTC, so there may be the need to stop and hand throw the switches into and out of the sidings. You may have delays due to freight train meets, and will certainly see quite a few long freights.

Between Birmingham and Atlanta, the line is very curvey, running more or less cross-grain to the southern end of the Appalachian chain. Even though the maximum speed is still nominally 79 mph, for the most part the speed will be in the 35 to 50 mph range, with occasional short segments allowing 60 to 65 mph. Single track with quite a few freight trains. You may visit a few sidings here.

Between Atlanta and Washington DC the line was once all double track, but for the last 40 odd years has been about 1/2 double, 1/2 single in alternating segments of around 10 miles each. Due to increasing traffic and the desire of the state of North Carolina to run more and faster state supported trains, some segments of the second track are being restored. The last 40 odd miles into DC are still double due to commuter trains. It is in the middle of the night, but the recently restored Greensboro NC station is worth a look to give a picture of what once was normal in this country. the platforms there are new. The old station platforms have been long gone. Speeds on this segment will be in the 50 to 79 mph range, mostly in the 60 plus part of it. Quite a few freight trains, but mostly without waiting for meets due to the single-double set up. North of Atlanta the passenger loading is about double that south of Atlanta. A hint here: If you can, eat supper before getting to Atlanta.

At Washington DC the diesel will go away and be replaced by an electric. You are now on the ex-Pennsylvania Railroad northeast corridor. Generally three and four main tracks, except long sections of two tracks between Baltimore and Wilmington Deleware. Very few freight trains, but lots of passenger trains, well at least by US standards. Speeds will generally be in the 90 mph plus range. Do not know how fast they allow the equipment to go. 100 mph? 110 mph? Also, all stops north of Alexandria, Virginia are discharge only so the train is allowed to get ahead of schedule.

American Freight trains: If you have only seen English and continental freight trains you will have a shock. Picture 10,000 ton plus trains of 100 cars or so pulled by 2, 3, or 4 diesels. Much freight in the country now moves in containers on rails, two high. They tower over the single level passenger equipment. NS usually limits freights to 50 mph.

Hi All
New to this forum and am seeking some advice.

A budy and myself have the weekend of February 9th to 10th to travel from New Orleans to New York and have decided to go by Amtrak rather than stay an extra night in New Orleans and fly on the sunday. We have booked a sleeping compartment (the bedroom rather than roomette).

As you may be able to tell from the lodin name we are both from the UK - I am a railway fan but my buddy is not - have we made a good choice?

Regards

PHIL
I think you've made a good choice. The Crescent's route goes through really neat areas, especially above Lynchburg. And speaking of which, make sure to look out your window a couple minutes after the Lynchburg station stop, as you'll go across the large trestle across the James River. Hope you enjoy your trip; let us know how it went :)

I will also add that the Crescent is routinely late on the first part of its journey, but is usually capable of making up ALOT of time before you reach New York. So don't fret it you go to bed and the train is 2 or 3 hours late, by the time you reach New York you will most likely be on time (or very close to it.) As George said, the line as far North as Atlanta is alot of single track and you will probably get delayed. Once you get north of atlanta, the trains "speed through the night" encountering very few delays. Some padding is built into the service stops at Atlanta and Charlotte (I think at least), and THEN once you hit DC you can really make up some time!

Also, a Viewliner Bedroom is an extremely nice way to travel, I am very confident that you will enjoy your trip.

Take a look at the white chalky banks of the river that's between Meridian and Tuscaloosa (think that's where it is). I'm usually in the diner and am always fascinated by it. Someone said, "eccentricity is like vanilla in the South", and you will certainly encounter that in the landscape and possibly with your fellow passengers if you're in coach (and possibly some of the crew).

Be sure to watch the scenery on the left hand side of the train after it leaves Alexandria,Va.the next morning , about 9.43 a.m. You will cross the Potomac River and go by the Jefferson Memorial, the Lincoln Memorilal , the Washington Monument and get a couple of views of the U S. Capital. You will see several important Washington buildings, though not the White House. You might want to google the items menitoned above it you are not quite familair with them. They are a big part of U.S. lore.

A word on timekeeping. Assuming you are on time as you head into Alexanrdia a funny thing happens. From that point forward, going north, you will only stop to discharge passengers. You will not be taking on any new passengers. There are tons of trains every day between Washignton and NYC--- the longer distance trains do not carry that local business. What this means is that you do not have to "wait for time"...the train CAN--I emphasize CAN--dispatcher permitting---- zip on through and arrive NYC more than an hour early. Because it (and similar trains from Florida) do not pick up new passengers.

Southbound it stops only to receive passengers at places betwen NYC and Alexandria, but of course in that case it cannot leave early. Which has nothing to do with your northbound trip. Just letting the other shoe drop.

Last, but far from least, be sure to "wave" as you pass through Atlanta, that is where I live. :lol: :p

thanks - we will report back on how we enjoyed they journey -

However it looks like there were problems on this train yesterday - got a week to get sorted though!! as we don't travel until the 9th

Looking forward to the trip - not sure what to expect. Hope any delay is not excesive as we are using Amtrak for the journey between two business meetings. Our UK end of the company has gove very green in the Uk and encourages us to travel by train for environmental reason. I will be trying to set an example for my US colleagues - let's hope Idon't get involves in any CZ length epic delays

keep you posted

PHIL

PS I note on a few posts that some people don't think much of the British rail privatisation. I was not in favour at the start but since privatization ridership has risen by over 50% in ten years so the new companies must be doing something right

just a thought

PS I note on a few posts that some people don't think much of the British rail privatisation. I was not in favour at the start but since privatization ridership has risen by over 50% in ten years so the new companies must be doing something right
just a thought
Can we be sure of the causalty of that tho? Would the ridership have gone up the same under BR?

The whole thing also costs the taxpayer rather a lot more - there's no doubt the money was needed, and we have seen some shiny new trains for it. The Department for Transport has now started to make a fuss about this aspect of it - we're seeing that in overcrowding and fare rises - what this does to the ridership levels we've yet to see. First Great Western are a good example of this.

IMHO the problem with the privatisation in the UK was more the way it was done and the resulting mess than the fact it was privatised. John Major's legacy.

As a word of warning Norfolk Southern ,which is the railroad that owns the track from New Orleans to Virginia, is going to be doing heavy maintenance during the month of February so this train may be delayed more that usual. It was running its best in July, I went from Birmingham Alabama to Boston Massachusetts and the Crescent was on time at every station and a few minutes early at some all the way there and back.

do you happen to know how long the NS work is supposed to last? i'll be taking the crescent NYP-NOL in the middle of march (and up to WAS a week later).

do you happen to know how long the NS work is supposed to last? i'll be taking the crescent NYP-NOL in the middle of march (and up to WAS a week later).
This is not official and I suggest you call Amtrak but I was told that the Crescent would only run to New Orleans on Fri, Sat & Sun during the month of February. The rest of the week it would terminate and originate in Atlanta. Sometimes track work finishes sooner but in cold weather it can take longer.

crescent-trunc.jpg

thanks for the info!

i'm traveling down on a friday/saturday and up on a saturday/sunday, all after the 6th (the 14/15th and the 22/23rd), so hopefully all will be completed by then.

do these things tend to end on schedule? i'm used to subway repairs, which have end dates but seemingly no actual end.

thanks for the info!
i'm traveling down on a friday/saturday and up on a saturday/sunday, all after the 6th (the 14/15th and the 22/23rd), so hopefully all will be completed by then.

do these things tend to end on schedule? i'm used to subway repairs, which have end dates but seemingly no actual end.
I think maintenance by the Union Pacific on the California Zephyr route this summer extended past its initially scheduled end (forcing Amtrak's detoured schedule to continue), but the maintenance kept to a Monday-Thursday schedule throughout, meaning Amtrak ran on the normal route for Friday-Sundays. Someone who remembers better can jump in to confirm or correct, I hope. But I think that since you're traveling on weekend days, you should be fine even if maintenance extends into mid-March.

thanks for the info!

I think maintenance by the Union Pacific on the California Zephyr route this summer extended past its initially scheduled end (forcing Amtrak's detoured schedule to continue), but the maintenance kept to a Monday-Thursday schedule throughout, meaning Amtrak ran on the normal route for Friday-Sundays. Someone who remembers better can jump in to confirm or correct, I hope. But I think that since you're traveling on weekend days, you should be fine even if maintenance extends into mid-March.
Actually if memory serves, UP's closure this summer ran for exactly the amount of time that UP had originally told Amtrak that they would have to detour. What did happen however is that the original start date kept slipping later and later. IIRC the closure was originally supposed to start in April, but it kept slipping and finally started in July. Just in time for my trip. :(

SweatTea,

Generally they do end on time, or within a few days of the original schedule. I've even seen a few that ended earlier than originally planned.

Regards

PHIL

Great choice.

But bring you own ale as AMTRAK only serves US brands.............

Well we did the trip and really enjoyed it. the train was on time all the way !! The view were really interesting and the other passengers were facinating. Rating 8 out of 10.

So why not 10 out of 10 - well train was a little grubby and unfortunately the seat was missing from our bedroom which was a shame(it was actually the compartment assigned for disabled travellers so was a nice large room but we did find it a great shame that the seat had been removed). The the food, I last travelled by Amtrak in 2005 and to be honest I thought the food was not that good compared with my last trip. I also thought the train was overstaffed in all areas except the dining car where the staff worked rally hard.

Would I travel again with Amtrak - yes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back