New passenger question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this train a Superliner? Since people keep talking about upstairs and downstairs, maybe it is. My comments only apply if it is.

In Superliners, you move between cars on the upper level. So if you are going to go to the lounge or diner, you'll have to get upstairs. You could take meals in the roomette, but your children are pretty young to be allowed to go to lounge and diner by themselves, and old enough they are not going to like being stuck in the roomette the whole time. So, do you want to climb the stairs once at the beginning of the trip and once at the end (upstairs roomette)? Or for every outing (downstairs roomette)? Either way, others will appreciate your letting them go ahead on steps since they'll probably be faster.

The Superliner coach restrooms are downstairs, same for lounge restrooms. Sleeper shower is downstairs. Sleeper restrooms are mostly downstairs but there is one commode and sink upstairs. So if you are downstairs, showering will be easier; upstairs you might want to forgo showers (Your kids probably won't mind, and you can sponge bath or baby-wipe critical areas if you want).

One thing is carrying things up and down those stairs is difficult. Many people put their luggage in the downstairs rack and get a change of clothes out from there every day. If you sleep upstairs, you won't want to do that. But you could give each child a small backpack and make them carry their own change of clothes, snacks, toys, and whatever else they need. I'd also recommend a small (emphasize small) backpack for you, something so you can use both hands on the banisters on those stairs. You are on a train, it is OK to wear the same thing every day and just change underwear! This is a situation where packing light can really make a difference in your enjoyment of the trip.

Your car attendant may be a really huge help to you, in which case he or she deserves a better than usual tip, and maybe even a complimentary letter to corporate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Amtrak customer service And ask if a letter from your doctor would qualify for the H room. If so then go for it

Good Luck!

Got the room changed to a roomette 14. I don't mind some stairs once on the train, just don't want to be climbing stairs with two kids and bags to get on the train.

This will be a bit easier while while boarding anyway. The rest I can always get meals delivered to the room if we need to, I don't mind tipping for help if I need and ask for it.

Hopefully they helpers are understanding.

Thanks for all the advice its been very much apperciated. I'm sure we'll enjoy our first train trip. I know the kids will for sure. They are excited about it. Specially at this young age, the adjust to almost anything. Its myself that sometimes has diffuculties, but I love an adventure, just wish my body would cooperate with me still.

Thanks again!!

Got the room changed to a roomette 14. I don't mind some stairs once on the train, just don't want to be climbing stairs with two kids and bags to get on the train.
This will be a bit easier while while boarding anyway. The rest I can always get meals delivered to the room if we need to, I don't mind tipping for help if I need and ask for it.

Hopefully they helpers are understanding.

Thanks for all the advice its been very much apperciated. I'm sure we'll enjoy our first train trip. I know the kids will for sure. They are excited about it. Specially at this young age, the adjust to almost anything. Its myself that sometimes has diffuculties, but I love an adventure, just wish my body would cooperate with me still.

Thanks again!!
Sounds like you'll be fine, Enjoy!!!!

RF

Have a great trip! If you decide you want to go upstairs (like to the Diner or Sightseer Car) at some point during your ride, ask your Sleeping Car Attendant when the next stop is. You can then step off the train & walk to a Coach Car, then go upstairs & head to the Sightseer Car. Or just go upstairs in your sleeper & walk through the train...

It will be much easier on you when the train is not moving. I would also pack very light for the roomettes-just pack stuff you will need overnight. You can make bundles of clothes inside your suitcase for showering/clean up, & store the suitcase in the luggage rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back