New Rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading messages on this forum for several weeks now in anticipation of my trip. It has been very informative, and several of my questions have already been answered. However, I would like to know about tipping your sleeping car attendant. I think I read somewhere $5.00 per day each person was appropriate. My daughter and I will be leaving December 24 on the Texas Eagle, making connections on the 25th, with the California Zephyr for San Francisco in Galesburg, Illinois. Also, we will have the same sleeping car attendant for the duration of the trip, or will the crew change somewhere along the way? Is it customary to wait until either we, or they, leave the train to present them with their tip, or do you give it to them as they perform each task, like turning down the bed, bringing the paper and coffee, and making up the room, etc.? I certainly want to reward a job well done, and one done with enthusiasm, for I'm sure it will make the trip more enjoyable. One more question, which will probably sound dumb, but here goes, do the sleeping cars have doors that can be locked from the outside while your out and about the train?

We look forward to a wonderful trip and thank all of you for giving us the needed information to make our trip more pleasurable. This discussion group has been quite informative. It's been interesting to read the post concerning rail travel, both the good and the bad. At least we will be better prepared whenever snarls occur, which will possibly slow us down somewhat.

Thanks again everyone, and have a great holiday season.

Rlmtx42

Rlmtx42,

Welcome of our forum. :)

Now to your questions:

Yes a typical tip is $5 per person for each day for the sleeping car attendant. Again you may want to vary it depending on your attendant's performance. Most people typically wait until they are near the end of their journey before handing over the tip. Some will hand the tip over when the attendant comes to help you take your bags down to the main door. Others, like myself, wait until actually leaving the train. Then we hand it over as we exit the door.

You certainly could tip him/her each day if you like. That may give you better service, but it might do nothing too. There are some who will try harder figuring that you will give them even more. Others however, may decide that you won't give them any more, so they no longer need to keep trying. So the choice is yours.

Now you will keep the same attendant while on the Eagle for your ride. Once you switch to the Zephyr, you will get a new attendant who will be with you till you reach California.

Bedroom doors can only be locked from the inside while you are in the room. Therefore don't leave wallets and purses in the room. Also put any camera's and other valuable items out of sight in your luggage. You can also close the curtain, which makes it hard to see if anyone is in the room.

That said, theft is usually not a problem while on the train. Most attendant know their passengers, and therefore tend to ask anyone who they don't know; "Why are they in the sleeper?" Coach passengers are never allowed in the sleeper car.

A few final thoughts: Don't forget that all of your meals are included provided that you take them in the diner. Make sure that you tell the waiter or dining car steward that you are in a sleeper. They will give you a check to sign, proving that you ate your meal. Also don't forget to tip the waiter each time. If you can total up the bill in your head, then leave a normal amount for the service you received. Most people however don't remember the prices, so they typically leave a buck per person for Breakfast and Lunch. For dinner leave at least $2 per person, more if you've orderd wine which you will have to pay for.

Finally, if you haven't already, you may want to check out this page from On Track On Line. It's full of hints and tips, along with what to expect from your trip. You may also wish to read some of the trip reports that people have provided that are located here.

Have a great trip!! :D

I just got off the Texas Eagle in Chicago last night. The lounge car is gone having been replaced by a "cafe car" which is a coach car with a down staires snack bar. Also, a note was placed in each sleeper compartment explaining that the dinner, though present, is only staffed and serving meals between Chicago and Fort Worth. The snack bar hands out free high-end boxed meals and wine to sleeper car passengers between Fort Worth and San Antonio.

The form you fill out in the dinner for your free meal has been changed so that you have to fill in your car number and room number. I carry my ticket stub with me, as it has this information handy.

Finally, I've noted a distinct change in the sleeper service recently. The free news papars and cookies are gone, and have been replaced by cleaner toilets, functioning equipment (less broken stuff), quicker refunds for screw-ups under Amtrak's control, better on-time performance, and a generally better attitutude among everyone.

Amtrak Watcher said:
The form you fill out in the dinner for your free meal has been changed so that you have to fill in your car number and room number. I carry my ticket stub with me, as it has this information handy.
Amtrak Watcher,

Actually, there has always been a place on the check for your car and room number. Most waiter's have just never bothered to fill out that info, in the past. I'd say that only 2 or 3 times have I ever been asked for that info.

So maybe this is part of making Amtrak workers more accountable for the food and goods under their control.

Regardless, it's always a good idea to carry your ticket stub with you whenever you wander about the train. This way you can prove that you do belong in the sleeper cars if you are challenged.

I back up everything that ALan B. has told you...and I carry my ticket stub in my shirt pocket with me all over the train....even if I am on coach....just to prove that I belong on the train. period, not to mention in sleeper. But, yes, sleeping car passengers should be even more careful for that matter, to prove that they belong where they are.

ALso, like Alan, I save my tip for when I am walking down the steps at the end of the trip. More than once I have had my bags ready for the attendant to help me with and my tip is in my hand ready....but if he does not help,then generally he does not get a tiip, unless he has given good service otherwise..

As far as tipping, you need to keep in mind that all the train staff (dining car and sleeper attendant) very likely have a substantially larger salary than you do (these are not 'minimum wage' people). I concur in the tip amounts the people here have mentioned, but I only do so for 'exceptional' service. I find the need to tip for poor (or even just routine) service unnecessary. If the sleeper attendant goes out of his/her way to make my trip enjoyable, I tip. If I'm just another one of the 'cattle', I just pass on tipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back