New Stop Planned for the Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tim49424

Engineer
80CBFAF044CF5C93569E1C859987D61F_787_442.jpg

SHARE: Updated 3 hours ago by MTN News - Great Falls

Culbertson working with Amtrak for "Empire Builder" stop

GREAT FALLS - Civic leaders in Culbertson and Amtrak officials met this week to begin planning the construction of a new stop along the "Empire Builder" for people traveling to the Bakken region of eastern Montana.

The aim of the project is to give oil workers easier access to the fast-growing region.

In a press release, Culbertson mayor Gordon Oelkers said, "At the intersection of two major highways, Culbertson is a prime location for an Amtrak stop that feeds the Bakken and makes it easier for workers to get to the region."

This week's meeting included a visit to the site of the proposed station, and focused on the steps needed to complete the stop.

U.S. Senators Jon Tester (D-MT) and Max Baucus (D-MT) facilitated the meeting.

Tester said. "Amtrak does a great job connecting Montanans and this meeting is an important step to providing greater service to Montana. I will continue to work with Amtrak and folks in Culbertson to get this station built."

Baucus said, "We're hearing from Montanans that Amtrak passenger capacity is a challenge that we need to keep working together to address."

The Empire Builder route runs from Chicago, Illinois, to Seattle, Washington, and currently has stops in Montana in Wolf Point, Glasgow, Malta, Havre, Shelby, Cut Bank, Browning, East Glacier, Essex, West Glacier, Whitefish, and Libby.

http://www.krtv.com/news/culbertson-working-with-amtrak-for-empire-builder-stop/

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the timing of this rather strange due to all the BNSF issues in Montana. Hopefully they will be resolved by the time this happens.

While they eventually may need a stop I agree indeed that the timing is really strange--I have been thru that area many times--not much there (pop 768). I guess in 3-5 years that won't be the case though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been in the works for a while. I first heard about it at the NARP regional meeting almost two years ago, long before the current time keeping mess.

Does the current Empire Builder route pass through Culbertson?

If so, what would be the issue with BNSF? It appears to me that

potentially, this stop could add revenue with little cost.

While they eventually may need a stop I agree indeed that the timing is really strange--I have been thru that area many times--not much there (pop 768). I guess in 3-5 years that won't be the case though.
Exactly, look at Stanley,ND. What was their pop. before the boom, like 100. Now it is somewhere around 1,500. Do not be surprised if Culberson's population grows.

Looking at Google Maps, it appears Culbertson has a station or station-like building and even a short platform already in place. With that, it seems like all they have to do is upgrade the station for Amtrak use and lengthen the platform (including an ADA ramp) and it would be good to go. When it comes to adding a new station, that is not a lot of work that needs to be done.

Looking at Google Maps, it appears Culbertson has a station or station-like building and even a short platform already in place. With that, it seems like all they have to do is upgrade the station for Amtrak use and lengthen the platform (including an ADA ramp) and it would be good to go. When it comes to adding a new station, that is not a lot of work that needs to be done.
Indeed, Culbertson still has their former Great Northern depot. I do believe the station building is going to require some considerable renovation. The platform improvements should be a lot easier (and the stop could initially be unstaffed with a temporary shelter until any building improvements are being done.)

03culbertson.jpg
A 2001 picture of the Culbertson Great Northern depot, as posted on www.gngoat.org. Photo courtesy of Ron Gebhardt.​

Indeed, Culbertson still has their former Great Northern depot. I do believe the station building is going to require some considerable renovation. The platform improvements should be a lot easier (and the stop could initially be unstaffed with a temporary shelter until any building improvements are being done.)

03culbertson.jpg
A 2001 picture of the Culbertson Great Northern depot, as posted on www.gngoat.org. Photo courtesy of Ron Gebhardt.​
Your belief is right, that needs some major work. The temporary shelter is a good idea.

03culbertson.jpg
Your belief is right, that needs some major work. The temporary shelter is a good idea.

Looks better from the outside than the existing station in Tomah, WI, the station I travel from. I'm sure it definitely will, both inside and outside, by the time it's ready to open, if they plan to renovate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back