New Superliners on Order?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexRail

Train Attendant
I heard a while back that Amtrak ordered 130 single level cars. I recently heard that Amtrak also ordered 100 bi-level cars. Does anyone know anything about these new bi-level cars or if the rumor is even true? I think of any bi-level rail car built within the last 20 years to be for commuter trains. I am interested to know if Amtrak intends to replace their current superliner fleet of cars or if they are expanding or what. I know some of the superliners are old but they really aren't that dated to me after they get overhauled. I am also curious to know if the new cars will deviate much from the superliner's current look or design. I'm thinking of possible changes in appearance similar to that of the look of the old and smaller coach-dorms and old lounges to the more common and larger superliners.

I believe Boardman recently foreclosed upon the likelihood of seeing Superliner IIIs. From Trains Newswire recently:

In response to a question from Trains columnist Don Phillips, Boardman said the company has no immediate plans to expand its railcar fleet beyond already announced acquisitions. Those include the 130 single-level baggage cars, sleepers, and diners now under construction in Elmira, N.Y., by Spanish manufacturer CAF, and a proposal to acquire 40 additional coaches for the 20 existing Acela Express trainsets. Rather than add equipment by piggybacking a separate Amtrak order for bilevel cars onto orders that California and Midwest states are poised to place, Boardman said the company intends to continue rebuilding its Superliner fleet at its Beech Grove, Ind., shop.

"One of the things I learned in the transit business before I came to [Amtrak] is that as I added more trains during the peak hour, my losses increased," Boardman said. "Right now, the business model that exists for long-distance trains is that as you add trains, your losses increase." He added, "that's not where our policy direction has been coming from, from the administration or Congress. The importance of us to run a good service at a cost that can be supported by the policymakers is critical, and I believe that is [achieved] by rebuilding the equipment we have."

No, Amtrak has not placed any orders for bi-level Superliner type cars. There is funding for California and the Mid-West states to purchase at least 130 bi-level corridor cars which will be used by Amtrak. That order is currently in the RFP and bid process with the contract selection decision and award expected to be made in August 2012, but I would give good odds at the contract award slipping several months because of the many participants in the bid review, decision, and negotiation process.

The plan as of early 2011 was for Amtrak to base the Superliner I replacements on the Next Generation bi-level corridor car specification, with cars configured as sleepers, diners, LD coach cars, etc. However, any such order is likely to be years away. The logical option would be to place the Superliner I replacement order to follow the build and delivery of the 130 (or more) bi-level corridor cars. Funding is a rather significant issue.

We will know more about Amtrak's current plans when the next version of the Fleet Strategy Plan is released, recently stated by Amtrak expected to be released in the Spring of 2012.

I heard a while back that Amtrak ordered 130 single level cars. I recently heard that Amtrak also ordered 100 bi-level cars. Does anyone know anything about these new bi-level cars or if the rumor is even true? I think of any bi-level rail car built within the last 20 years to be for commuter trains. I am interested to know if Amtrak intends to replace their current superliner fleet of cars or if they are expanding or what. I know some of the superliners are old but they really aren't that dated to me after they get overhauled. I am also curious to know if the new cars will deviate much from the superliner's current look or design. I'm thinking of possible changes in appearance similar to that of the look of the old and smaller coach-dorms and old lounges to the more common and larger superliners.
The bi-level cars are for corridor service in the Midwest and California. They will be similar to the California/Surfliner cars. Their construction might free some Superliners for use on long-distance routes, but there are currently no plans to build Superliners.

The bi-level cars are for corridor service in the Midwest and California. They will be similar to the California/Surfliner cars. Their construction might free some Superliners for use on long-distance routes, but there are currently no plans to build Superliners.
They should free a few Superliners and a boat load of single level corridor cars. What will be done with them is somewhat open for consideration at present. Haven't seen anything specific. Of course I am sure that the denizens of AU have all got their favorite possible uses for them :)

i was on the coast starlight last year and the train and its outdated cars frequently had problems including an electrical problem which they had to stop the train with the lights out and fix it also we had to walk across the train to use bathrooms because the ones in our car broke, also this contributed to the 4 HOUR DELAY to Seattle, we also didn't get to stay in Portland for the scheduled 45 minuets.

I suspect that your toilet problem was more likely a passenger malfunction than an equipment malfunction. People flush the wrong things all too often. Also, most electrical problems for which they would stop the train are Engine related, not car related.

i was on the coast starlight last year and the train and its outdated cars frequently had problems including an electrical problem which they had to stop the train with the lights out and fix it also we had to walk across the train to use bathrooms because the ones in our car broke, also this contributed to the 4 HOUR DELAY to Seattle, we also didn't get to stay in Portland for the scheduled 45 minuets.
I don't think your problems were caused by the Superliners. I think that your locomotive broke down which caused the light to go out and the toilet malfunctioned beucase a passenger flushed in paper or worse.

Amtrak might be thinking about some new cars, note this is after the announcement of the corridor cars. So they might be thinking about an order.
Of course, Amtrak wants to order new equipment to replace the Amfleets and Superliners. This is not news. Their plans - or perhaps better stated as their wish list plans - are spelled out in the Fleet Strategy Plans, with the most recent version v3.1 released in March. The good news is that there are or will be 2 active production lines, one for single level Viewliner cars at the CAF plant in Elmira NY and one for Next Gen bi-level cars in Illinois. The hard part will be to get the funds and/or loans in place to buy single level LD and corridor coach cars and Superliner I replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back