New Surfliner Schedule (01/29/12) Like or Don't Like?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmy1

Service Attendant
Now that the new Pacific Surfliner schedule has been in effect for a few weeks now, do you like it? Many of the trains are the same with minor schedule adjustments. I like that there's less variation between weekday and weekend trains.

Train 790/1790 (formerly 792/798) now runs all the way from SLO to SAN. Before I would always worry about making that connection in LAX. On a good day when 792 was early, you could make 590. On a bad day when it (or 798) was over an hour late, you'd miss 592. The change benefits through passengers, but for passengers travelling only from LAX southward, all of the evening trains could now be delayed since none of them will originate in LAX.

I guess other disadvantage of the new 790/1790 is that the single-level consist that used to run just on 799/798 is now in the mix of runs down to SAN. I haven't encountered it yet since the schedule change but it's just a matter of time.

I like through trains travelling long distances, but nobody wants a SF to LA corridor along the Coast Line? Everybody is talking about the San Joaquin Line. :angry:

A corridor along the SF-LA coastline, in terms of being a high-capacity, high-frequency service, would be ridiculous. There isn't the population to support it, esp. between between San Luis Obispo and San Jose/Morgan Hill. The physical impediments are onerous and would make the cost of the present high-speed proposal through the San Joaquin Valley appear as a 99-cent store item by comparison.

As for a second daily train between LA and SF, with an early a.m. departure from each city, to complement the often-maligned Coast Starlight, that has been in the planning stages for several years. Whether it makes sense or not, that answer is still up in the air.

A corridor along the SF-LA coastline, in terms of being a high-capacity, high-frequency service, would be ridiculous. There isn't the population to support it, esp. between between San Luis Obispo and San Jose/Morgan Hill. The physical impediments are onerous and would make the cost of the present high-speed proposal through the San Joaquin Valley appear as a 99-cent store item by comparison.

As for a second daily train between LA and SF, with an early a.m. departure from each city, to complement the often-maligned Coast Starlight, that has been in the planning stages for several years. Whether it makes sense or not, that answer is still up in the air.
They are through planning and just looking for the money.

Until the State of California either outright buys the Tehachipi Loop from the BNSF, or pays the lions share (80% or more) of the cost to double-track the entire route between Bakersfield and Tehachipi, there is not a snow ball's chance in hell there will be a scheduled passenger train that goes the full length of the San Joaquin route from San Francisco to Los Angeles. That is just fact; the capacity levels on that line have been reached and BNSF is not going to accept any offer or pleading shy of those two options no matter how friendly they are to passenger rail travel.

Now, UP's coastal route is not quiet by any means, but it is a lot less congested and CDTX (CalTrans Division of Rail) already has negotiated slots for additional passenger trains. The prices are quoted, set, and as leemel has mentioned, all that is left is actual funds transaction and the additional rolling stock/locomotives to start the service. It will be popular, trains will set ridership goals, and it will be successful. Why? Single-seat service from downtown San Francisco (leaving/arriving from CalTrain's depot directly across the street from AT&T Park) to downtown LA Union Station.

I, for one, would be a rider. I'd even wager money that because CDTX is the negotiating entity, not Amtrak, that UP dispatching will make the train 80% and better with on-time performance too! :lol:

Until the State of California either outright buys the Tehachipi Loop from the BNSF,
While I'm sure that BNSF wouldn't mind pocketing the cash from such a sale, I rather suspect that UP would be rather upset and would most likely sue BNSF for selling UP assets.

Until the State of California either outright buys the Tehachipi Loop from the BNSF,
While I'm sure that BNSF wouldn't mind pocketing the cash from such a sale, I rather suspect that UP would be rather upset and would most likely sue BNSF for selling UP assets.
*laughs* My bad! :giggle: The UP might be doubly mad for such a transaction based on the fact it would be to advance passenger rail interests! :lol:

Until the State of California either outright buys the Tehachipi Loop from the BNSF, or pays the lions share (80% or more) of the cost to double-track the entire route between Bakersfield and Tehachipi, there is not a snow ball's chance in hell there will be a scheduled passenger train that goes the full length of the San Joaquin route from San Francisco to Los Angeles. That is just fact; the capacity levels on that line have been reached and BNSF is not going to accept any offer or pleading shy of those two options no matter how friendly they are to passenger rail travel.

Now, UP's coastal route is not quiet by any means, but it is a lot less congested and CDTX (CalTrans Division of Rail) already has negotiated slots for additional passenger trains. The prices are quoted, set, and as leemel has mentioned, all that is left is actual funds transaction and the additional rolling stock/locomotives to start the service. It will be popular, trains will set ridership goals, and it will be successful. Why? Single-seat service from downtown San Francisco (leaving/arriving from CalTrain's depot directly across the street from AT&T Park) to downtown LA Union Station.

I, for one, would be a rider. I'd even wager money that because CDTX is the negotiating entity, not Amtrak, that UP dispatching will make the train 80% and better with on-time performance too! :lol:
Yes, there would be ridership for perhaps an additional SF-LA train a day in addition to the Coast Starlight, mostly tourists and not business people. The schedule will simply be too slow.

But if Caltrans uses coaches similar to the Surfliner/San Joaquin/Capitol Corrdior with only a snack car/lounge on an 11 hour-plus journey, it won't be THAT popular even with tourists. Riders would likely demand a full diner and a little more comfort. UP might allow the train to meet the printed schedule, but I doubt that printed schedule is going to be any faster than the present meandering journey of the CS each morning up from Los Angeles to Oakland, even when it makes it on time by 9:30 p.m. or so.

As for the Central Valley, are we to take from your posting that you don't believe the Hi-Speed Rail project has a ghost of a chance of succeeding??

I did not say "high cap., high freq." service, I was only talking along the lines of some like the old Coast Daylight!

Yes, there would be ridership for perhaps an additional SF-LA train a day in addition to the Coast Starlight, mostly tourists and not business people. The schedule will simply be too slow.

But if Caltrans uses coaches similar to the Surfliner/San Joaquin/Capitol Corrdior with only a snack car/lounge on an 11 hour-plus journey, it won't be THAT popular even with tourists. Riders would likely demand a full diner and a little more comfort. UP might allow the train to meet the printed schedule, but I doubt that printed schedule is going to be any faster than the present meandering journey of the CS each morning up from Los Angeles to Oakland, even when it makes it on time by 9:30 p.m. or so.

As for the Central Valley, are we to take from your posting that you don't believe the Hi-Speed Rail project has a ghost of a chance of succeeding??
It is not Amtrak, nor CalTran's, place to really care who rides the train in terms of demographics. Businessman, tourist, college student, military; they are all exactly the same when it comes to being a passenger. If they can (and will) sell seats, who are they to care? And have you had experience with the California cafe cars? The food selections provided are actually quite good. The San Joaquin route is already nearly 7 hours, btw. With the track improvements that are coming along the coast route in the next few years, that current 11 hours will drop considerably.

As for High Speed? It has no chance at all of succeeding in the next 10 years; it will take that long before the first train up the Central Valley from Modesto to Bakersfield to be built and running. Will a bullet train be built? I had high hopes, and still do have hope, but I'll be in my 50's before I can step foot into a trainset and ride from San Francisco to LA with the rate things are going. In the meantime? All Aboard the Coast Daylight! :cool:

It is not Amtrak, nor CalTran's, place to really care who rides the train in terms of demographics. Businessman, tourist, college student, military; they are all exactly the same when it comes to being a passenger. If they can (and will) sell seats, who are they to care? And have you had experience with the California cafe cars? The food selections provided are actually quite good. The San Joaquin route is already nearly 7 hours, btw. With the track improvements that are coming along the coast route in the next few years, that current 11 hours will drop considerably.

As for High Speed? It has no chance at all of succeeding in the next 10 years; it will take that long before the first train up the Central Valley from Modesto to Bakersfield to be built and running. Will a bullet train be built? I had high hopes, and still do have hope, but I'll be in my 50's before I can step foot into a trainset and ride from San Francisco to LA with the rate things are going. In the meantime? All Aboard the Coast Daylight! :cool:
It's only an educated guess, but I imagine that planners look very, very carefully at the demographics of any route that they work on. Do you really want to argue that the addition of the Parlour Car on the CS had no relationship to the type of passenger that Amtrak saw riding, or wanted to encourage to ride, on the particular train? An enhanced snack car, which is what the snack/car lounges are on the San Joaqins/Cap Corridors, works well for this route.

Comparing ridership between the coast route and the San Joaquin Valley is apples to oranges, IMHO. The majority of riders on the San Joaquins are traveling from one intermediate stop to another on a corridor with many viable working-class cities and towns, and where air service is either non-existent or very expensive for the median wage earner in the valley. (Conductors on these trains joke about Glad Bags being called "Valley Samsonite.") The type of rider and the average length is taken into consideration by rail planners in determining what kind of amenities should be/need to be offered. Only a small percentage of San Joaquin riders go the 7-hour bus/train jaunt between Bakersfield/LA and Oakland/SF.(I do give credit to Caltrans for reworking over and over the menus for these trains and finally, after many years of testing and surveying, coming up with what appears to be a popular concept.)

In contrast, the coastal route has far fewer residents than the Valley route, except at the endpoints. Between San Luis Obispo and San Jose, I doubt there is a potential for daily ridership anywhere near what the San Joaquins generate, esp. between Bakersfield and Fresno, and Fresno north to Stockton. The evidence for this is in the Caltrans plans for the route itself: a single daily daylight run leaving a little earlier from SF and LA than the present CS, and arriving a little earlier. If a new train is going to complement the CS, it will need to offer amenities comparable to the CS.

I'm curious also where all these track improvements will result in a big drop in the present 11-hour running time along the coast. Double-tracking the tunnels through the Simi Valley? Reworking the scenic but very slow route between Gaviota and San Luis Obispo? Realigning the tortuous routing between Watsonville and Morgan Hill? And with Caltrans having robbed Peter to pay Paul, by moving a huge amount of capital funding from non-Hi-Speed-Rail projects to the Hi-Speed project, where would the money come from to do all of these supposed improvements? Is the UP going to fund them?

BTW, the rumors out of Sacramento are that Gov. Brown will announce a revamp of the Hi-Speed rail project in the next month or two, emphasizing hi-speed trackage outside of the SF and LA areas i.e. The system would feature trains running on regular, or existing tracks in urban areas, and only begin running at fast speeds on tracks that would be built more cheaply in outlying areas. Supposedly that will bring the $98 billion price tag down considerably and mute environmental outcry from those living along the SF Peninsula. Not sure how he handles the concerns of Valley farmers who complain about fields being bisected and Valley towns worried that the route bypasses them and puts their existing Amtrak service in jeopardy.

CAHSR is planning on building all new double track rails and the existing rails do not figure into the success or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until the State of California either outright buys the Tehachipi Loop from the BNSF, or pays the lions share (80% or more) of the cost to double-track the entire route between Bakersfield and Tehachipi, there is not a snow ball's chance in hell there will be a scheduled passenger train that goes the full length of the San Joaquin route from San Francisco to Los Angeles.
That much-maligned high-speed rail project would build a tunnel through the mountains, circumventing the capacity problems at the Tehachapi Loop.

That much-maligned high-speed rail project would build a tunnel through the mountains, circumventing the capacity problems at the Tehachapi Loop.
Yup, well aware it would under most of the proposals. But the tunnels are one of the most expensive portions of the project, as a result, there are new proposals that completely scrap the tunnel ideas in exchange for a cheaper traditional loop/grade route at speeds no faster than 40 MPH.

Alas, this was a discussion on the existing services, not the HSR. More to the point, a discussion on the validity of a Coast Daylight route between LA and downtown San Francisco (as opposed to Emeryville with a bus bridge) verses the extension of the San Joaquin route over Tehachapi to LA. That later part was what I was referencing, and the reason it will never happen. :)

I sense that some tilting trains (talgos?) Would do wonders for this route. Do a little more superelevation of curves too. The UP is upgrading the track class and the signals on this route too.

Alas, this was a discussion on the existing services, not the HSR. More to the point, a discussion on the validity of a Coast Daylight route between LA and downtown San Francisco (as opposed to Emeryville with a bus bridge) verses the extension of the San Joaquin route over Tehachapi to LA.
Actually, it was a meant to be a discussion on the new Surfliner schedules per the OP and thread title.

I sense that some tilting trains (talgos?) Would do wonders for this route. Do a little more superelevation of curves too. The UP is upgrading the track class and the signals on this route too.
Since FRA does not allow the sort of underbalance that Talgos are designed for it will only do minor wonders not major ones. Also it is not clear to what extent superlevation can be increased without causing problems for high profile cars like Plate H and Plate K. Maybe George has some ready to hand info on such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back