New to Amtrak... Question about baggage.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lo121086

I am going to be taking an amtrak trip this coming February with my family. None of us have ever been on a train before. My question is, how does the baggage work. We don't want to check any of our bags because not all of the stations we are going to offer the service. I am just curious as to how it works. I know there are overhead areas for bags but what about when you go to dinner or a different car? Do you have to take your bags with you? I guess I'm just thinking about people taking your bag if you get up. I don't know. Also is that the only place to put bags on the train is in the overhead area. Any help would be awesome!

I suggest you check the Amtrak.com website for specifics on their baggage policy (weight, size, number of bags allowed), but here are the basics on carry on luggage: You can carry on your bags yourself, and there is much more room than on an airplane. Depending on the kind of train you are taking, there is storage for bags downstairs or at the end of the coach for big suitcases, strollers, boxes, etc. Then above the seats there are large open bins to store anything else you may have. You will get a seat check to claim those seats for your trip so you don't have to worry about someone else taking your seat. I would take a laptop or anything valuable with you if you go to the lounge or dining car, but everything else should be fine. If you have any other questions about your train trip, let us know and I'm sure you will get plenty of advice!!

We'll be able to give you a lot more info on the specific trains that you'll be taking if you let us know where you're going from/to and what trains you are taking...

We will be taking the hiawatha from milwaukee to chicago then the southwest chief from chicago to kingman, az. then taking the bus to Las Vegas. Then we will be taking the sunset limited from Los Angeles to New Orleans and finally taking the city of new orleans back to chicago.

We'll be able to give you a lot more info on the specific trains that you'll be taking if you let us know where you're going from/to and what trains you are taking...

We will be taking the hiawatha from milwaukee to chicago then the southwest chief from chicago to kingman, az. then taking the bus to Las Vegas. Then we will be taking the sunset limited from Los Angeles to New Orleans and finally taking the city of new orleans back to chicago.

Also very important re. baggage is you have a sleeper or not.

Will you be in sleeper on longer routes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you be in sleeper on longer routes?

We are not planning on getting a sleeper. but we are thinking about maybe getting one between los angeles and New Orleans just because it will be two nights on the train...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back