New to Rail Travel -- Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

K C

Hello!

I booked a 4-day vacation through Amtrak for my group of three adults and three children, including a baby and an elderly. Based on advice I received from a message board, I reserved a "family sleeper" (from San Francisco to Seattle and back.)

This "package" includes rail, hotel, and a city tour. The price is much higher than I expected! I've read several reviews and comments at a few websites about Amtrak travel or Coast Starlight and it seems that those people didn't pay too much for their trips. I wonder if booking through Amtrak costs more? Or is it because it's summer time (we'll be traveling in July)?

The Amtrak travel agent didn't suggest a second bedroom when I made the reservation. I wasn't sure how big (or small) a "family sleeper" is. Now I know the six of us can't all fit in it. I'm thinking about reserving one more bedroom, or a coach seat, but then we can't all be in the same room at sleep time. Is any passenger allowed to take a open seat or use a vacant bedroom, if such vacancy exists?

I probably don't want to check my lugguge but I heard the storage space in a compartment is very limited. I'll try to pack light but I don't want to miss any important items, especially because I have three small children What would you recommend me to bring that I might overlook?

Since my group will stay in a sleeper, we'll have an attendant. How much do I tip him/her? During the day or at the end of the trip?

Our meals are included in the rail fare. How much do I tip the dining car waiter/waitress? Is there anyone else that I should give a tip too? How much?

I have so many questions as this will be the first time I ever ride on a long-distance train for a vacation.

Thank you in advance for any answers or suggestions!

K C

Dear KC,

If you book another bedroom, such as a Standard Room you would all be able to have a place to sleep, the Family Room holds Two Adults and Two Children and a Standard Room Hold Two People. If you do book another room, I would recommend that the Elderly Person stay in the Standard Room (If you book a Standard Room on the 2nd level), so he/she does not have to go up and down the stairs to move from car-to-car. I would call Amtrak and book another room if I were you, I mean that because Coach Class is all right, but not for the overnight Coast Starlight. Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Amtrakadirondack :) :) :)

KC,

I’ll start with the cost first and then try to work through the rest of your questions. I think that there are several things that came into play here. First you are traveling with 6 people, which helps to up the cost. Next you are indeed traveling during Amtrak’s peak times and it sound like you just booked this trip. As the train fills up, the rates go up just like any hotel or airplane. Next you mention that you’ve got a package that not only includes the rail, but a hotel and a tour of the city. This also helped to run up the bill.

Since you didn’t post the amount that they are charging you, it is hard for me to tell you one way or the other if you could have/should have done better. However with all of those factors that I mentioned above in play here, I don’t think that you can properly compare what you are being billed to other reviews and comments. Just as a bit of an example, I just recently took a trip on Amtrak’s Auto Train with some of my family. We had 4 adults and two children, plus you must also pay for the car. In our case we had a van so that added $300 to the price tag and knowing the size of the rooms, I got us two deluxe bedrooms. All of that cost $1,600 and change.

So based upon my recent experience and my general Amtrak knowledge, I would expect that you should have paid at least $2,200 for your trip. Obviously depending on what class of hotel you received it could easily go higher, plus I don’t know if they booked you one hotel room or two. You also didn’t mention if you were traveling on the weekend or midweek, this too could affect the price.

Now moving along, I definitely recommend considering a second room. As Amtrakadirondack mentioned, there are two adult sized beds in the family room and two child sized beds. They really are child-sized beds, as they are only four feet 9 inches long. Now the lower adult bed could possibly accommodate two medium sized adults, but let me tell you it’s going to be a tight squeeze. That would also leave you needing to put the baby in the upper adult bed along with one of the adults. Again this is possible, but I’m not sure just how comfortable you would be.

When I went down to Florida on my recent trip, I had two of my nieces along with me, but one less adult at that point. We got a family bedroom and a standard bedroom. So we were traveling with three adults, two children, and one baby. While we could all fit comfortably into the family room during the day, I’m glad that we didn’t try to sleep in that one room.

I would highly suggest asking for one standard bedroom and unless the senior has mobility problems, then I would ask for a standard room on the lower level in the same car. This way you would all be very close at night even with the second room, yet you could easily share the family room and it’s large couch during the day. Let me also recommend that you check out some pictures and measurements on Amtrak’s website. The first link that I’ll give you will show you the dimensions of the family room and the sizes of the beds. Click here and then roll about halfway down the page when it opens up.

The second link will give you a virtual tour of the room, a 360 degree look around the room as it were. You can click here for that. Note there are two views to look at a daytime configuration and the nighttime view of the room. Hopefully this will give you a better idea of what this room looks like and why I’m suggesting that you may want to add a second room. Frankly I’m kind of surprised that they would even let you book that many people into one room.

Technically you cannot occupy another bedroom without paying for it. However, if you meet up with a really nice attendant they might not complain if one of the adults were to go sit in an open room during the daytime. However, don’t expect them to allow you to sleep in that room, although I have heard a few stories where a really nice attendant did allow that to happen. I certainly wouldn’t want you to bet on that happening though.

Next space is indeed limited within the rooms, especially at night when the beds are put down. They will take up most of the available floor space. What you want to try to do is have each of the kids carry a backpack with their favorite toys, books, and whatnot. Then pack a few overnight bags with PJ’s, the next day’s clothes, and toiletries. Then you can leave your big suitcases in the luggage rack in the center of the car. This rack is also downstairs like the family room, so it wouldn’t be too big of a deal to walk down the hall and take out something that you forgot to put in your overnight bags. Of course you do also have the option to check your larger bags too, but just like on a plane you can’t get to those bags while you are on-board.

Now for tipping, if you do indeed squeeze into one room, then I would suggest at least 15 – 20 dollars for the attendant. If the attendant really goes out of their way, you may wish to give more. Of course the reverse is true too, if you can never find the attendant when you need them, well you might want to cut back some on the tip. If you add a second bedroom, then I would probably up that total by another 5 to 10 bucks.

In the dining car, for breakfast and lunch it’s customary to leave a buck per person. For dinner most people leave 2 dollars per person, although the baby doesn’t really count here. Again if the attendant goes out of their way for you, then you may wish to add a little more. One note, if you do put one person in coach their meals would not be included and they would have to pay to eat with the rest of the family. That’s it for the tipping other than if you use a redcap to help carry your luggage at the station. One does not tip the conductors on the train.

Finally you might wish to check out this page from On Track On Line. It’s chocked full of hints and tips, along with some idea of what to expect from your first train ride on Amtrak.

Please don’t hesitate to come back and ask us more questions as you think of them.

Have a great trip! :)

Thank you both for your replies!

Alan, you're right on! Amtrak charged me $2,215 for the package (two nights on board, round trip; two nights in a hotel, one room.) We'll depart on a Sunday night and be back four days after. The hotel, with 3-diamond AAA rating, is located in downtown Seattle.

Amtrak is running a "Spring Special" that offers 25% discount. Children ride at half price. I don't feel tickets prices are any cheaper though.

I'd called AAA before I called Amtrak. They both offer a "Pacific Northwest by Rail" mini-vacation package. AAA didn't seem to know much about thier own package offering and put me on hold most of the time (to check with the vendor, who had to call Amtrak.)

After I'd booked the trip, I started to have many questions and concerns. I wish I'd known better! I did check out their website (where I found they're offering this particular tour package) and ask a few questions.

Now I don't feel right at all! With two adult berths and two child ones, the "family sleeper" can't accommodate us all. How could they let me book only one room!? I didn't know the sleeping compartment is actually very small. I wasn't told about this either. (The agent also booked only one room for us. I'd think she'd want to ask me to take two rooms.)

And I'm also confused about their pricing. I'll call tomorrow to ask but I don't understand how they can charge a bedroom rate to someone who doesn't have a own bed to sleep on.

I kind of regret that I booked this trip. I wanted to try Amtrak and my family's never ridden on a train. It's so much more expensive than flying. My elder is worred as to what to do to kill time (24 hours!)

I really appreicated your input!

KC

My 2 cents . . .

As Alan pointed out, the fares go up the closer you get to the trip. I got a really good fare for our family's Sunset Limited trip this July, but I did it in December! I shudder to think what the cost would be if I did it now.

We took the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle last summer. There were four of us in the family bedroom (me, my wife, and two sub-teen kids). I sure wouldn't want to have more than four in one of those rooms, although for a couple and two kids, it's pretty comfortable. We're getting a family bedroom again this summer, but I'm afraid if we do any more overnight trips, we'll have to get two standards (my kids are getting bigger!)

Another cost issue: When we took the Starlight last summer, I asked about the train/fly option (we didn't have time to take the train both ways). The price I was quoted was WAY higher than taking the train and making the plane reservations separately via Southwest. I know this isn't the same package you're getting, but it might be that you don't end up getting that good a deal on the other parts of the packages from Amtrak.

I would ask about getting a Standard bedroom in addition to the Family one. One thing is, the cost of the bedroom is in addition to the coach fares, so you didn't pay for 6 bedroom fares, you paid for 6 coach fares and one bedroom.

I hope you're able to work all this out, because the Coast Starlight is a great train. We all had a great time, which explains why we're signed up for the Sunset this summer.

and my two cents as well,

I don't know if it's possible at this point (I don't know the cancellation policies involved here), but I would advise anyone to make their own arrangments. Anytime some company makes all the arrangements, it's ridiculously priced. I would have bought the airfare on priceline.com and gone through expedia for a cheap room in seattle.

If you could get a full refund, it's ask for my money back and start from scratch, but that's just me.

I do hope you can go on the CS. Train travel is a wonderful experience, not only for train fanatics. Don't worry about what to do. From experience I can promise you'll not be disappointed. Train travel is a part of our culture, our heritage, for me a remnant from a time when people could slow down a bit.

Good luck, and have a nice trip.

sutton8596 said:
Train travel is a wonderful experience, not only for train fanatics. Don't worry about what to do. From experience I can promise you'll not be disappointed. Train travel is a part of our culture, our heritage, for me a remnant from a time when people could slow down a bit. Good luck, and have a nice trip.
I agree, even though Amtrak takes a while its much more comfortable than any airline, even if you compare Amtrak's Coach Class to even the nicest airlines First Class, and a Sleeping Room is less expensive. I hope you enjoy you’re new way of travel, and I hope you travel on Amtrak many times more in the future.

Amtrakadirondack :) :) :)

KC,

It’s a shame that you missed Amtrak’s earlier sales, back in February and March. At that point they were running a 1-2-3 sale, where the first person paid full price, the second half price, and the last went free. They often offer this sale early in the new year and it can be a real money saver for a family, assuming that you can make your plans that far in advance.

With regard to sales and discounts however, Amtrak only discounts the “rail fare” or passenger fare. Each person traveling on Amtrak must pay the rail fare for his or her journey. The rate that you must pay for a bedroom is never discounted under any circumstances. Now we touched upon peak pricing earlier and I mentioned that Amtrak like other industries does charge more as the train fills up. Each time Amtrak reaches a certain threshold of passengers booked on a train the rail fares go up to the next level.

However even with out a sale price, Amtrak will always charge the lowest rail fare to all people traveling in a bedroom. As an example I just went and quickly checked out rates for the Coast Starlight from Emeryville to Seattle traveling north on July 8th and returning on July 10th. If I were to travel in coach only with no bedroom, Amtrak at present would charge me $218 for a round trip with no discounts. However if I were to take a standard bedroom, while my overall expense would jump to $602, the rail fare that I’m paying drops to the lowest price that Amtrak ever charges for this journey $144.

If I were to take my wife with me, I would only need to pay another $144 rail fare for her. The room is already paid for. The bottom line here is the fact that the more people you can put into one room, the greater the savings. That said however, I actually am shocked that not only did Amtrak suggest a second room for your family, I’m surprised that the computer allowed them to book your whole family into one room.

I suspect though that you’ve booked your trip with Amtrak Vacations and not actually with Amtrak. If you called 1-800-872-7245 then you actually called Amtrak. If however you called 1-800-321-8684 then you booked your trip with Amtrak Vacations. While it’s not widely publicized Amtrak Vacations is really a third party travel agent. Last that I knew, Amtrak Vacations was operated by Globetrotters Vacations INC. While they are supposed to be more knowledgeable than a normal travel agent is about Amtrak, it would appear that either you got someone who wasn’t well versed or they’ve screwed up your reservation and think that you are traveling with less people than you really are.

I would highly suggest that you check your paperwork if you’ve received it or call them and confirm that they do indeed show you traveling with 3 adults and 3 children. I’m wondering if they’ve got 2 adults and 4 children. Note that Amtrak does not normally issue a ticket for a baby, as they are not charged a rail fare.

Now I’m not trying to scare you here and I certainly hope that you do go ahead with your trip, as I for one think that train travel is a unique experience. But I do think that you should get an extra room so that you are better able to spread out and relax. Train travel if you are in coach, is usually less than any plane. If you add a bedroom, then the costs do take a jump. However don’t forget that you are getting in effect a moving hotel room plus three cooked meals a day in the diner. By the way Amtrak hires chefs right out of culinary school, so this is not microwaved food. That chef is downstairs cooking your food to order, this is not a TV dinner.

I suspect that your elder can easily occupy his or her time while on board. Don’t forget you have a lounge car to spend time in and you have three meals a day in the diner to partake of. He/She can bring a book to read, play a game with the family, or just sit and relax while the world goes by. One can also get off the train at the longer stops and stretch their legs if you like. Don’t wander far though if you do this, stay close to the open door.

KC,

You might also wish to take a peek at a travelogue that Roberta Grant wrote and allowed Amtrak to post on their site. In her travelogue here Roberta describes her journey on the Coast Starlight. This might help to allay the fears of boredom that your elder is concerned about.

I take the Coast starlight monthly, theres plenty of things to do. Unfortunetly as far as booking rooms its a learning experience..depending on when you book, rooms can be either very cheap or very expensive..sometimes just changing your dates by one day will get you a price 50 percent less. Your family will have a great time..considering all your meals and wine tastings are included the price isnt that bad. Have a great trip!

There is no possible way your group can comfortably occupy a Family Bedroom, and the agent that sold you the package should have known that. I would very strongly suggest that you call Amtrak Vacations (presently contracted to Private Label Travel, Inc.) and explain the logistics of having six people staying in a room with four single-person beds (two of which are really, really small), and have them either offer you more appropriate accommodations or a FULL refund.

To retain your rail travel plans, a reasonable arrangement would be the Family Bedroom for two adults, one child, and the infant; and an adjoining Standard Bedroom for one adult and one child. Unfortunately, adding the second room will bump up your already high tour price by another $400 or more, so be forewarned.

If you feel the final price-tag with the second room is too high (I sure would), then I would press Amtrak Vacations for a full refund. Normally, Amtrak Vacations tour purchases have restrictive refund terms. Your situation is, in my opinion, an exception. You were quoted and sold a package that is entirely inappropriate for your party. The Agency (Private Label) is culpable for this error. Making it right will cost you substantially more than you originally agreed to. Given those facts, you should be entitled to a full refund if the new price is unacceptable.

I called Amtrak Vacations two days ago and aksed about booking a second bedroom. The price was (additional) $558 rould trip. Yesterday the price was $120 more.

This was the first time I used a travel agency for my vacaiton plans. I've been a AAA member for years and always made all the reservations myself. I know booking a tour through a travel agent would cost more but If money could buy convenience and expertise, this might actually save myself time and energy.

I'm wrong and very disappointed. I thought a travel agent would give you lots of information on a particular vacation package, and would tell you relevant things that you might not have already known. I thought the travel agent would take care of every details and let you know.

I had to call back several times and asked questions. Today I also received a very unpleasant surprise in the mail. (I've posted another discussion.)

My trip is a month away and now I can't say I look forward to it.

You might try to wait after the UP finishes its construction in the Oregon Cascades, if you can, which is supposed to go until the end of June. The UP is working on its tunnels. Check out the category about the disruption of service on the Starlight for more information. This may affect your plans. Also, check the little article I wrote about seeing Cascade Peaks (Mts. Shasta, Hood, St. Helens, Rainier) from the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back