New to This

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Britdave

Hi all,

being brits and this is our first introduction to Amtrak would appreciate any help offered. We are doing Chicago to LA (in 2 chunks - break in Albuquerque) in standard sleeper, then LA to SFO in coach. My main concerns are:

tipping: being in a non tip society are very naive - would hate to upset our cabin attendants.

Coach seats: what facilities are we allowed to use as a coach passenger.

Stations: I have heard punctuality can be dodgy at least - are the stations well catered if there is a delay.

Reading through previous comments I have noticed the prices being commented on as expensive - must say that in comparison to this side of the pond I have been pleasantly surprised with what we have been charged - once again any help, however trivial, would be appreciated.

I can help you a little.

Your Sleeper Ticket includes complimentary meals in the dining car, and at the end my family (3 of us travel) usually slip the sleeper attendant a twenty at the end of the trip, however you can give more or less depending on how well they serve you.

In the diner, we typically leave two or three dollars at the end of each meal, if the service is lousy, you can leave a smaller tip or if its great you can leave more.

In coach, you have access to the coaches, lounge and diner (when applicable). Keep in the mind that coach passengers have to pay for meals. You can't go to the sleepers which are beyondthe diner.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip. :)

When traveling in the Sleeping Car a good rule of thumb is to tip your attendant $5 a night per person. You can always higher or lower the amount depending of the service that is provided. What you want to look for in your attendants service is an introduction at the begining of your trip, clean restrooms and shower area, beverage area stocked with fresh coffee and soft drinks, puts beds down at night when asked to, coverts room to day-time configuration when asked too, helps you with your lugguge, and of course is freindly. Most everyone tips as you detrain at your final station stop for that leg of the journey.

In the Dining Car always leave $2-3 per person, per meal as long as your server is prompt, curtious, and freindly.

In the Lounge, the attendant will usually have a little tip cup in which I usually drop in the loose change from my purchase. At the end of the trip I may drop in a dollar or two if I felt he or she deserved it.

Coach attendants are generally not tipped. I would only give them a tip if they provide extra services like helping you with your luggage or bring you a meal to your seat from the Dining or Lounge Cars.

Red Caps whom are found at major stations are there if you need help with carrying your luggage from the station to the train or the other way around. Generally tip $1 per bag.

All other Amtrak employees need not be tipped, this includes Station Agents, Conductors, Assistant Conductors, Cheif of On-board Services, and Engineers.

Hope this helps along with Viewliners comments. :)

Many thanks for your help guys.

While these might sound like obvious answers to yourselves this, trip is like another world to ourselves and help is most appreciated. We are both looking forward to this new experience. Thanks again

Hi Dave,

Hope you have a wonderful trip. As someone who took Amtrak for several segments last summer, let me offer a few words.

As one of the posters mentioned, about $5 a day per person, BUT if the attendant disappears, as may happen (on one segment I almost NEVER saw him/her) do not feel you are obliged to tip. I know some of the other readers feel a tip is somehow the attendant's automatic right, but if there is little service, there is not tip. Amtrak has quite a few workers who should have been weeded out years ago. if they were working for a business, they would have been fired ages ago. That said, the majority of Amtrak employees were very nice and professional. I enjoyed my time with them.

Expect minor inconveniences. Little things went wrong on every Amtrak journey I've taken, but I can't say that anything seriously impeded my enjoyment of the trips. I loved all five segments. Wonderful people to chat with in the lounge, the food was good, views magnificant (a lot of the time). A long distance train ride is a joy; I hope yours is wonderful.

cheers!

Scott

Be prepared for lots and lots of desert scenery on the Southwest Chief(CHI to LA). The desert is beautiful in its own way, for some it is a cultivated taste....not as handsome as the Rocky Mountains, for example, at least not to most people. But....just relax, take it in.....you will probably discover that the desert has a charm all its own. You will probably wake up to desert scenery your first morning out from Chicago.

Albuqerque is a lovely city, hopefully you have some neat things planned, or people have neat things planned for you..There are some mountains at the extreme east of the city and they get rather plentiful snow, not what one would expect in such a terrain. My sister used to live at the foot of those mountains("Sandia", I think they are callled) and she would get snow when nobody else in her office had gotten it!!

On the third leg of your trip, up the coast, you will want to look out the left hand side of the train before and during about the Santa Barbara stop...at that point you will see the Pacific Ocean.

Bill Haithcoat said:
On the third leg of your trip, up the coast, you will want to look out the left hand side of the train before and during about the Santa Barbara stop...at that point you will see the Atlantic Ocean.
Um Bill, you must have really great vision to be able to see the Atlantic Ocean looking left at Santa Barbara. :lol: :D

I rather think that it would be much easier to see the Pacific Ocean from Santa Barbara. :)

AlanB said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
On the third leg of your trip, up the coast, you will want to look out the left hand side of the train before and during about the Santa Barbara stop...at that point you will see the Atlantic Ocean.
Um Bill, you must have really great vision to be able to see the Atlantic Ocean looking left at Santa Barbara. :lol: :D

I rather think that it would be much easier to see the Pacific Ocean from Santa Barbara. :)
Well, unless Amtrak has moved has moved the Coast Starlight with out us knowing! :p :D :lol:

I have excellent vision, (and can see out of all sides of my head), as a matter of fact!!!!!! DUh---I will correct that at once......thanks Alan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back