New to train travel-questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, we are new to train travel other than a few trips into Boston on the commuter rail. Our family of 5 will be getting on an AM train just outside of oston and heading to Orlando. We are on 1 train to NY Penn and on the way home we switch trains in Washington. We went with 5 reserved coach seats and are hoping for the best.

From anyone that has done this or something similar, what can we expect? Will the time drag or go by quickly, how are the trains -good shape or bad, do the stops take alot of time or do they help pass the time, can you move around the train in route, what are the bathrooms like, what do we need to bring with us - food, drinks etc?

Any help that you can give us would be great, we do not leave until April.

Thanks

A really good source of nuts and bolts Amtrak travel info is a web site run by a group of rail enthusiasts called On-track-on-line. That site has an Amtrak travel tips section just brimming with the info you need. You can link to the site HERE.

HI Gary,

Welcome to the world of train travel. Not that I do a lot of it living here in the Middle East :) But I have taken several long distance Amtrak trains for the past two summers.

Overall: very good experiences! I don't have kids, but the kids I observed onboard seemed to see the adventure in it.

I don't know about your particular train. All I can say is what i've read here from more knowledgeable posters. Coach is like first class in an airliner (true), and there will be some kind of lounge car as well as a diner. So plenty of opportunity to stretch legs, explore. Bring a deck of cards or UNO, always good. I always bring books but then rarely find the time to read, surprisingly.

Amtrak is notoriously underbudgeted, thanks to the Bush White House and some recalcitrant members of Congress who don't ante up what they should each year. Things can go wrong, delays can occur, dining car attendants can be rude; however, if you expect it in advance, it wont seem so bad if/when it happens.

You might want to read some of the travelogues posted at www.trainweb.com

Find a travelogue for whatever your train is. You could also just plug the name of the train into Google and stories might pop up.

Lastly, if financially possible, I would encourage you to get a sleeper. You could get either a family room or just get a standard sleeper for you and the wife. If the kids aren't little, that is. Remember that all meals are free when you have the sleeper, so there is some savings.

I'm sure the others will add other comments.

Have a good trip!

Scott

Gary,

First off it's always hard to predict how anyone person will respond/enjoy train travel. Even within your family you may well find that four of you love, while the fifth hates it.

As for the trip, you can move around within the train more or less at your leisure. On the train to/from Florida, you cannot go into the sleeper cars unless you upgrade to a sleeper compartment. Otherwise though, you can walk through the coaches, the cafe car, and the diner.

I highly recommend taking at least one meal in the diner, even if you elect to get the rest of your meals in the cafe car. Please note however, that the tables in the diner can only hold a maximum of 4 people, unless your kids are on the small side. So you most likely will have to split up into a party of 2 and a party of 3.

Scott mentioned getting a sleeper and this is something that you may want to look into. While the sleepers do seem expensive, you should know that all of your meals are included when staying in a sleeper. The family sleeper that Scott mentioned however, is not an option for you as the Florida trains don't offer that room. Family rooms are only availble on Amtraks double decker trains, you'll be traveling on single level trains only.

Most of the stops are no more than a few minutes, the only exception would be in Philadelphia and Washington DC. You can bring snacks with you, but be careful about bringing things that need to be kept cold. Ice will not be available to you, unless you are buying a soda onboard.

Finally I would highly recommend checking out those hints and tips that PRR60 linked to. They will probably answer a lot of questions for you. What they don't answer, you can always ask us here. Odds are someone here will know the answer. :)

Welcome to the board.

I've done round trips from CHI to NM (twice), and from MN to FL a couple of times, so i'll offer a few suggestions. first, get the sleeper if you can. you can see if on-board upgrades are available when you get to NYC. For me, getting in the sleeper means the difference between the increased potential for the Endurance contest that is coach ( air coach, bus coach, train coach - doen't matter) travel in all its forms, and a reasonable expectation of a decent trip.

2. "Will time drag by, or go quickly?" Depends upon your attitude. if you're one of those folks who just can't get where they're going fast enough, and if you view travel as simply a means from A to B, then time may drag a bit. Kind of like what happens on long drives, if you've ever driven someplace overnight. If you look at your train trip as an integral part of the overall trip, then things will be more pleasant. Travelling by train also enables one to bring along items that will keep the youger ones occupied. monopoly is good, as are decks of cards. The stops tend to go by quickly. In any case, another item to bring with you would be those "wet-naps" - the pre-moistened towelettes that folks with toddlers bring along for cleaning up all the messes. It feels good to freashen up a bit after a while on the trian, and, if you're in coach, you won't have access to the shower facilities (think: sponge bath if you want to wash up while in coach. Just take care to lock the door while you're using the washroom).

3. Books and other reading material are good to pass the time.

4. By all means, you can get up and move about the train while it is in motion! This is one of the advantages that train travel has over air travel - you can go to the lounge car to socialize or look out the window to see what scenery there is to see, or to have a libation or two (CAUTION: Don't over-indulge. The crew won't tolerate that sort of behaviour). The only difference is that sleeping car passengers have access to the sleeper section; coach passengers are denied access to the sleepers. Everyone has access to the diner

5. The train get heavy use throughout the year, and I'm sorry to say that some cars show this heavy use. Most of what I'm talking about here will be "cosmetic" issues, such as well-worn carpeting. With several exceptions, the cars are in for maintenance only every 180 days or so. The rest of the time they are out on the road, getting as much as 250,000 miles per year of travel. In all fairness, Amtrak has made many improvements the past decade or so, and what you may have heard from the neighbor who took a trip last year, or years ago, will be out-of-date information. I've travelled on airplanes that haven't seen the vacuum cleaner for several weeks, and many people's private cars could use some serious cleaning as well. As for the bathrooms, it depends. In coach, there is only one crewmember for every three cars, and they don't have time to clean the bathrooms after every single passenger. While the train crew usually makes their best efforts to keep things neat and tidy, there are passengers who are slobs, or who act as though they expect the butler to clean up after them. There is no butler service aboard the train, so clean up after yourself. Most bathrooms will be clean, but with a busy train there always seem to be one or two rapscallions onboard who ruin it for everyone else.

6. Like every other mode of travel, trains have their good points and their bad ones. Many of the critisms (tardiness, rude employees, slovenliness, for example) that are levellled against the passenger train service provider could very, very easiy be made regarding airplanes, and certain airlines, and car travel as well. Some folks get aboard expecting every train to be just like the Orient Express of years gone by. The truth is that even during the Golden Age of Trains, most trains didn't have that level of luxurious extravagance then, and don't now. Even back in years gone by, that level of opulence was unavilable at common-carrier prices. if you're looking for the Orient Express, you should book travle over the AOE (if they're still in business), and not Amtrak. Amtrak travels over privately owned track, and sometimes the private railroads (who are the landlords in this case) will give priority to their own freight trains over Amtrak. Also, don't board with the expectation of the plastic smile that we all see from the airlines. With Amtrak, you get to see the crew as real human beings. Some train crew are fantastic, some are adequate, and some train crew should clearly be working somewhere else.

You may also see first-hand how the private railroads have to pay for traffic control and road maintenance entirely by themselves - unlike the highway system, which is paid for using the gas tax and a well-endowed gov't-supported Highway Trust Fund, or the airlines, which have their traffic control and airports paid for by the FAA and its well-endowed gov't supported Trust Fund, or the Municipal Transit Authority. There is no trust Fund for passenger rail, no dedicated source of funding for Amtrak. Sometimes this translates into your train being delayede because another train is occupying the single stretch of track ahead of you, and the entire line is choking with freight traffic. Just be patient, Amtrak will be working to get you through to your destination. You see, just as with highways and airports, there can be traffic jams on the RR. The main difference here is that the RR has to buy and maintain all of their own track, they (usually) don't have the option of dipping into Federal funding to get additional capacity built.

I don't want to discourage you from taking the train, though I understand that this post could be misconstrued as such. i hope that you're expereinces will be as positive as mine have been (with a couple of exceptions that were the fault of the landlord RR, not Amtrak). Just remember to have a Positive Mental Attitude, and to try to roll with the puches, and tdon't swear off train travel just because you had one lousy trip ( as I mentioned before, it wasn't the fault of Amtrak. It was due to the landlord RR making us take the sidetrack all of the time).

We look forward to learning of yur experiences when you return. Oh, yeah, try to upgrade to the sleeper for the overnight portion of your trip. Even the economy sleeper will feel better than sleeping in coach, and ANYTHING will feel superior to airline coach. Sleeping supine feels better than sleeping in a recline position. :)

Here are some thoughts. First, as to the time passing, who knows? That is an individual thing. For me it passes quite calmly. I tend to savor the present moment while on the train. You can certainly bring books or games or anythng like that esp. for kids. You will sleep, eat,time will go by doing all that. And on the train you can talk to other passengers in a way you would not do on anything else.

Esp. in the dining car you would talk to others if you like. Train food is often rather good. Eating real food at a real table, etc is a lot of fun in the view of many people.

You are encouraged to move around, not just sit stiffly the whole time. I do encourage the sleeping car and then you have privacy as well as more room than you would have on anything else(except a ship, of course). I do recommend the delux room over the standard, if you go sleeper at all.

Bathrooms are usually in good repair, they are unisex, the door locks and controls are a little different. There is a button to the side to flush, etc, you are not to stuff towels, etc in the toilet, there are signs telling you that.

You ask about the stops. That varies with the size of the city and also what sort of the business the train has to conduct there, like get re-fueled. Cities like Washington, Jacksonville, etc take much longer than some little hamlet somewhere. You can find timetable info for your train, find out what train it is, and it will show you the stops. For stops which only show a departure time, that means the train is just there 2 or 3 minutes, and moves on. Larger cities might be 20 or 30 min. or so, just depends , check the timetable. You should a timetable mailed to you.

The dining car is open at traditional meal times. There is a lounge car which is open most of the daylight until about 10 p.m., light snacks, some of which you might make lunch off of. You need not travel burdeneed wn with your own food, unless perhaps you are on a very strict budget. You might want to take food for the first meal or so,and then start eating the train food, either the dining car or the lounge.

Your ride, if the train is on time (don't count on it), is only about thirty hours. I assume if you wanted to spend as much as they want for a sleeper you would have done so. Even with the meals provided with sleeper passage it still averages out to a whole lot of dinero that could otherwise be devoted to Orlando. Additionally, the rooms are very small and you can get "cabin fever" very quickly. Depending upon their ages kids can get "ancy" (sp.- never did figure out how to spell that) cooped up in the little room. They'll want to explore or at least get rid some of the energy accumlated from the excitment. You'll likely spend most of the time in the lounge car with the panoramic view. If you tell us the ages of the kids, lots of folks can give you good information based on their experiences with kids the same ages on the same train. My kids are grown but I'd take the same things we took when we traveled by car, just not as much. You'll have a blast, especially the kids who will meet lots of other kids on their way to Disney who also are so excited they're about to come out of their skin. Although there are not many in print, try to find maps showing all the regular features of road maps with the addition of train routes. I take mine and enjoy monitoring the location of the train. The bathrooms can be utterly disgusting if the attendant doesn't monitor them frequently. The more crowded the train the worse the bathrooms can be. Use the ones in a car that is not full or the one in the lounge, if necessary. It all depends on the level of regard for others held by other passengers, and, how many little kids use the facility without their responsible adult cleaning up after them. You might get lucky and get a concientious attendant. Take a roll of paper. Amtrak policy is coolers are not allowed but i've seen them carried aboard by parents with small children. You can download the snack bar offerings from Amtrak.com. Though pricey, most are pretty good and alot cheaper than the dining car. Dinner the first night in the dining car could be fun for the kids. They could occupy some time by making their choices before they get to the dining car. Watch those who sit backwards for signs of queasiness. Some folks get nauseated sitting with back toward the direction of travel. The breakfast French toast is terrific. Snacks and beverages: each person takes a small bag for personal gear including snacks. They want it they carry it. Wear the most comfortable clothes you have. Some folks in sleepers will dress a bit for dinner but it's not the norm. If seen entire families climb aboard in sweats. I like to change into different sleeping attire than what I wear all day. Inflatable neck supports and eye shades can add to night time comfort. The ceiling lights in the coaches can give just enough light to annoy if the attendant doesn't dim the lights at ten. Some crew seem to enjoy flashing their flashlights all around while walking through the train late at night. The car attendant has small pillows stowed above the attendant's seat in the rear of one of the cars for which sh/he is responsible. Get some as soon as you board so you have them at night. Trains can get chilly at night a light cotton blanket helps. They sell small Amtrak blankets aboard. Others have stated they are sufficient (+/- $20). Think about seats across from each other rather than in front/behind because the people in front and/or behind you will be directly in the line of conversation. Also, it's alot easier to look to the side to talk rather than twist around or have to put ones head close between the seats to hear someone talking from front or behind. Additionally, if there is sight to be seen on the other side of the car, you can lean over family to see it. You can't do that with stangers. At least not very often. Ask to be seated to the rear of the center of the car. I'm not familiar with the type of car in which you 'll travel but if it's a two level, there's a staircase down to bathrooms and that section of the car is more brightly illluinated at night. It is quieter in the rear behind the talking and noises generated by the other passengers. Don't sit all the way to the rear because the door opening and closing can be disturbing. Also, if the attendant's seat is in your car you might hear conversations and two-way radio racket all night if you get one of those attendants whom seems to take pleasure from keeping passengers from sleeping. It's happened to me. Some also like to have full volume conversations with other train crew who happen by in the middle of the night. That having been said, I want to add for every unsatisfactory train crew member i've experience there are fifty who are terrific. Those I reward with gratuity. That's enough free assoviation for now. Keep asking, it keeps your excitment going. Brad

I find for me when it comes to reasing material while traveling, and I do read a lot I tend to prefer either magazines or newspapers, something that is disposable so I don't have to lug it throughout the trip and something that can easily replaced and not terribly missed should it either be lost or taken (not that this is a major problem on the train). I certainly wouldn't want to be lugging several paperbacks or the latest hardcover best seller, but I find usualy a travel guide to the destination city along with the other things makes the time go quickly as it allows for additonal travel planning/attraction picking before getting where I'm going.

Again, thanks for the info and the other sites to look at.

We will be leaving the Boston area on a Sat morning about 6:45 and changing trains in NY arriving in Orlando at 11:45 the next morning.

The kids are 15, 12 and 8. We have traveled in the past, the kids have been to Disney once and have cruised 2 times but this is the first on the train. We partly picked the train for the price and partly for the adventure. The cost for the 5 of us is $630. We looked into adding a sleeper but since there are five of us, we would need more than one and at a cost of $735 each we couls nor see paying it compaired to the $630.

The trains we are on are the 91 South and the 92 North, all single level trains I am told.

We are havinfg a service meet us at the station to bring us to Disney.

We will be packing in duffle bags instead of the usual suitcases because we were told there is no checked baggage between Boston and Ny so we will be carring and storing everything.

Fingers are crossed for a good trip and I will continue to check this site to get more info.

Thanks again!

sutton8596 said:
Amtrak is notoriously underbudgeted, thanks to the Bush White House and some recalcitrant members of Congress who don't ante up what they should each year.
Just a question.

What was Amtrak's subsidy in the last years of the Clinton administration (hint: $521 million) and what is it now (hint: $1.2 billion)? Bong! Time's up!

Yes, you're right. That bad old Bush White House has starved Amtrak. Imagine, only a 130% increase in funding. By all means, lets bring back the Dems to save Amtrak!

I don't mind political editorials in the middle of a non-political question and answer, just get your facts straight, or simply do what most do, bash Bush with no facts whatsoever.

bradkansas said:
Also, if the attendant's seat is in your car you might hear conversations and two-way radio racket all night if you get one of those attendants whom seems to take pleasure from keeping passengers from sleeping. It's happened to me.
Brad,

You must have been unlucky enough to sit in a car where the conductors were sitting, although they usually hang out in the lounge car.

Coach attendents however are not issued two-way radios. Back when Amtrak used to put Crew Chief's onboard, they sometimes got radios. But regular attendants are not issued radios, so if you saw one with a radio then he must have brought his own. Either that or a conductor came to chat with his friend the coach attendant.

PRR 60 said:
sutton8596 said:
Amtrak is notoriously underbudgeted, thanks to the Bush White House and some recalcitrant members of Congress who don't ante up what they should each year.
Just a question.

What was Amtrak's subsidy in the last years of the Clinton administration (hint: $521 million) and what is it now (hint: $1.2 billion)? Bong! Time's up!

Yes, you're right. That bad old Bush White House has starved Amtrak. Imagine, only a 130% increase in funding. By all means, lets bring back the Dems to save Amtrak!

I don't mind political editorials in the middle of a non-political question and answer, just get your facts straight, or simply do what most do, bash Bush with no facts whatsoever.
PRR60,

I don't disagree with your statement that the Dems have done far less for Amtrak. Even when Bill Clinton held a Democratic majority in Congress, he didn't do much for Amtrak. It certainly didn't get any better when he lost the majority, although a lot of that IMHO had to do with John McCain who took control of the committee. Not to mention Warrington not standing up and saying that what Congress was demanding was impossible, much less fighting for the monies that should have been appropriated according to the so-called “Amtrak profitability plan”.

After all Congress, in conjunction with the White House, actually appropriated a little less than 50% of the monies that they promised Amtrak when the imposed that five year plan.

However I for one have to wonder, just how much of that 1.2 B was George Bush's doing. Personally I think that David Gunn's mandates and presence, plus some of those in Congress, may have had far more to do with the increased funding, than George Bush. After all remember George wanted far less money than Congress approved. George just couldn't veto the whole spending package over the Amtrak numbers.

I give credit to some wise members of Congress pushing hard, plus David Gunn literally holding a gun to the White House. That's one of the reasons that the funding now goes through the transportation department, as they must withhold enough monies to ensure continued commuter operations, should Gunn shut down Amtrak over funding issues.

However the federal budget does not get passed or vetoes in one fell swoop as a state budget might be. With the federal budget certain portions come up for passage e.g., the transportation department's budget or the defense budget. Thus theoreticly any portion fo the whole might not make it through, however as we all know a 2/3 vote in the originating chamber of Congress allows a bill to pass over a Presidential veto.

That said, the most support for Amtrak comes from the Northeast where you will see bipartisan cooperation to attempt to fund Amtrak at the necessary level. Gunn and Amtrak's lobbyiests too help, but Gunn is probably the best lobbyist Amtrak has. Think about it with some exception most of Amtrak's biggest supporters in Congress come from the Northeast and the biggest detractors come from states with little or no Amtrak service (again with exceptions).

Thus the most important thing is to get members from Amtrak friendly states on the comittees that have the power and oversight over Amtrak in order for them to get the proper level of funding.

GaryWT said:
Again, thanks for the info and the other sites to look at.
We will be leaving the Boston area on a Sat morning about 6:45 and changing trains in NY arriving in Orlando at 11:45 the next morning.

The kids are 15, 12 and 8. We have traveled in the past, the kids have been to Disney once and have cruised 2 times but this is the first on the train. We partly picked the train for the price and partly for the adventure. The cost for the 5 of us is $630. We looked into adding a sleeper but since there are five of us, we would need more than one and at a cost of $735 each we couls nor see paying it compaired to the $630.

The trains we are on are the 91 South and the 92 North, all single level trains I am told.

We are havinfg a service meet us at the station to bring us to Disney.

We will be packing in duffle bags instead of the usual suitcases because we were told there is no checked baggage between Boston and Ny so we will be carring and storing everything.

Fingers are crossed for a good trip and I will continue to check this site to get more info.

Thanks again!
Finally, just to bring this back to the topic at hand.

You are indeed on single level trains only for this trip. None of the trains you'll be riding have two levels. The tunnels in the NE don't permit trains that high, so Amtrak can only run single level trains.

Trains 91 & 92 are also called the Silver Star. They will have a cafe car where you can buy snacks and semi-typical fast food, pizza, hamburgers, sandwiches, and such. If cost is an issue, you may well find yourselves partaking of the food in the cafe. However I still highly recommend trying at least one meal in the dining car.

You may also want to consider boarding the Star in NY with a lunch that you purchased while in the station. This could save a few bucks. Then you would only be faced with dinner & breakfast while on the train ride down. Coming back you'll also be faced with two meals, dinner and breakfast. You should have time for lunch in DC.

Now based upon the ages of your children, I will tell you that the minimum that you would need in the way of bedrooms would be a Deluxe room and a Standard room. Even then two people would need to share the bottom bunk in the deluxe room.

You might however want to enquire with the conductor, once you've boarded the Silver Star about bedroom options. While I wouldn't want to bet on there being too many rooms available, if there are, then the conductor should sell them to you for 50% off the rate normally charged. So this might be a less expensive way for you to at least enjoy the comfort of bedrooms at least in one direction of your trip. Note: The conductor can take a credit card as payment, should you try this.

Finally, while it's certainly up to you, you can bring regular suitcases on-board the trains. In my humble opinion, a nice rolling suitcase is preferable to a duffle bag. Just be sure that you don't exceed Amtrak's policy, which you can find here. Also note that Amtrak has since added a weight limit of 50 pounds per bag.

I wholeheartedly agree with AlanB's advice against duffel bags. The last time I carried one aboard a train was in 1958 and i'll never do that again. He's correct, rolling suitcases or at least rolling back packs stashed in the luggage compartment above the seats. Each also with a small bag for goodies and toilet articles on the floor. It can be awkward getting articles from the overhead compartments, especially if the train is rockin and rollin . Brad

And I have been doing for years what TP49 advises about reading materials, I take along throw-away materials, magazines, etc stuff which sits besides my easy chair. The room taken up by that stuff can be replaced by souvenirs, other goodies. ALso, such reading often is rather light in tone so glancing out the window from time to time is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back